Gadu's Bottles on Renderosity

dHandledHandle Posts: 617
edited July 2016 in Freebies

I discovered Gadu's Bottles on the freebie section at Renderosity.  There are 3 listings, Gadu's Bottles, Gadu's Bottles2 and Gadu's Bottles3.  If you go to his/her page, they're all listed, along with a lot of other interesting stuff.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/bottles-3/76444

But these bottles.  They look great, made of colored glass with antique labels.  Some have glass stoppers, and others have cork stoppers.  Some have alternate labels for the same bottle, so you can get a completely different look.  The labels themselves are very creative;  "Vampire Blood" and "Hanson's Elixer of Immortality" etc. So each download nets you about 5 bottles, but with alternate labels, you get 7-8 bottles.

Sounds great so far, right?  Well, I downloaded 2 of them, and now the work starts!  (You knew they weren't really free, right?) Matching up the textures with the .OBJs is proving to be a challenge. The material zones are called default1 and default2, etc, and the images are simply called label1, label2, etc.  Matching them up isn't easy at all.  The material for a cork stopper is in the folder with a bottle that has a glass stopper. The glass stoppers end up with the text from the label on them when they're supposed to be clear or colored glass.

And, to top it off, I'm not sure how to make the bottles and stoppers look like colored glass.  I played with the opacity setting and ambient setting on 3-4 of them, and rendered them out. They don't look right.

Anyone have any experience with these?  I appreciate all of the effort Gadu put into creating them, and making them available to the community as freebies.  The materials look high quality.  It would be a lot for me to have to go into 2DS Max and redo a bunch of stuff, if that's what's required.  I'm just getting started with Max.

Anyone aware of a simple fix?

Thanks!

Post edited by dHandle on

Comments