obj expoert problem?!?!?

hi

i try to export HEX model to Obj to continue in zbrush but Hexagon was crashed (it happend several times)

only walkaround was export to carrara and then to obj

is there a fix for that?

i am using: new i7 (8 cores) 64 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro

thanks

Comments

• The only thing I can think of is to reset your Preferences, this sorts most problems.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

If you are using Dynamic Geometry, collapse it before you export the OBJ.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229
    cdordoni said:

If you are using Dynamic Geometry, collapse it before you export the OBJ.

Would you explain what that means (Dynamic Geometry) to us newbies?

Dynamic Geometry keeps some of the settings used in the object editable. In my example I used chamfer, but there are others that can be edited later. See p71 of the hexagon manual for additional info.

"Restricted DG" has some limits in the levels of editability, if I recall. However, even "Full" does not allow editing every operation used to make the object, so its a bit misleading. Its best to try it out on both to understand the difference, and what functions can or cannot be edited later.

The Collapse icon takes the current setting and applies it permanently to the object so it is no longer editiable. The Remove icon throws away the settings and returns the object to its original state.

dynamic geometry markup.png
    1093 x 1080 - 134K
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229

I did not know that, about Collapse and Remove. Thanks!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

thanks for that info.

FWIW, in case you don't really want to collapse your work just to get an intermediate obj export, it seems as if the collapse option can be successfully 'undone' after the export using the usual 'undo' (ctrl-Z) command.

- create thing

- collapse

- export obj (yay)

- undo (restore collapsed dynamic geometry)

- edit some more.

FWIW, I ran into this after turning on smoothing, I lost most of my shading domains in the export when I turned smoothing back off for the export stage. When I resumed the smoothing, the domains in the exported (but smoothed/larger obj file were there, so I could see them and I could sort of get to them, except in the mode I needed them. Most confusing.

I would guess hx also saves dynamic geometry in the normal hexagon save file (*.hxn) for future/continued edits, so a simple save to a file might be another way to save your dyn-geo data for later re-expansion/reloading.

--ms

mindsong said:

I would guess hx also saves dynamic geometry in the normal hexagon save file (*.hxn) for future/continued edits, so a simple save to a file might be another way to save your dyn-geo data for later re-expansion/reloading.

--ms

It does for SOME things. Again its best to test this before assuming it will work.

For example, Text will NEVER remain editable after the file is saved and reopened.