I Would Like To Introduce Myself.......and would like you opinion on The Freebie Contest!!!

13»

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

That is why we used to have the rule that I quoted in my previous post.

• JackyBrownJackyBrown Posts: 583
    edited September 2017

"For an item to be considered free it must be offered as a freebie for the whole of the month. The exception to this rule is all Daz weekly freebies will be allowed throughout the entire month in which they are free. All permanent Daz freebies will be allowed at any time."

And otherwise it may not be used in the image at all unless listed as a "Purchased/Paid For" item, am I correct?

Post edited by JackyBrown on
  • "For an item to be considered free it must be offered as a freebie for the whole of the month. The exception to this rule is all Daz weekly freebies will be allowed throughout the entire month in which they are free. All permanent Daz freebies will be allowed at any time."

And otherwise it may not be used in the image at all unless listed as a "Purchased/Paid For" item, am I correct?

If, to obtain it, someone would now have pay for it, yes. If, however, it is no longer available at all, it goes in the"No-Counts" list. 

• JackyBrownJackyBrown Posts: 583
    edited September 2017

If, to obtain it, someone would now have pay for it, yes. If, however, it is no longer available at all, it goes in the "No-Counts" list. 

Clear, I understand. But it means that a lot of my images should not have been accepted by the jury... I can only say that I am (very!) glad that they did!

Post edited by JackyBrown on
  • I do thank you all for you input and will make the changes that should be made starting next month and I am going to be much more strict with the rules that are in place and clean them up as well.

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,719
    edited September 2017

A couple of observations about what constitutes a "freebie" for the purposes of this challenge, both of which have the same solution:

1) If you do an entry early in the month can you 100% guarantee that all the freebies you used will still be free at the end of the month ? If your entry is accepted, but later in the month one of your qualifying freebies becomes not-free-any-more does that mean that your entry is retrospectively invalidated and disqualified ? It shouldn't, at least not in my view.

2) Since the contest is no longer sponsored by DAZ then why make the DAZ bi-weekly freebies a special case ? Apart from the fact that it's hosted on the DAZ forums, of course, which I don't think's really a valid reason.

The solution to both is to say that to be counted as a freebie an item must be free (i.e. the legal link must work) when the adjudicator(s) check the links and approve/reject the entry. That's more or less what happens anyway isn't it ? So DAZ bi-weekly freebies would still count without requiring any special rule, as long as you posted your entry during the two weeks that they're free

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
    edited September 2017

And don't forget that next month is October, so it might be a good time to bear in mind the "Bring back the October MonsterMash" comments. A Google search for monstermash (using the DAZ forum search was an exercise in futility) found a Sep 2013 Welcome to the 6th annual MONSTER MASH HALLOWEEEN BASH! thread which is most definitely worth a good look at.

I guess now's the time for all* those who wanted to bring back the October Monstermash to offer suggestions ?

* both of you wink

edited October 2017

Just on the off-chance that you do decide to go for an October Monstermash for the freebie challenge (with the apparently traditional "Monsters and Music" theme) here's something that may be of use. Use it (or not) however you want (no credit needed)

(and maybe "Monstermash Rehash" would be a good phrase to use in the title - if you're gonna go for it)

Banner for the October 2017 MonsterMash Rehash attached:

I think the original poster is too dark now, I'll try brightening it up a bit.

Done, but I went with the two Zombo's from the banner... Given recent tragic real world events I think the second poster's inappropriate, so I've done a new one with a dalek

CajunZombo.jpg
    735 x 1000 - 88K
    CajunZombo-Banner.jpg
    500 x 100 - 18K
    Duellin'Zombos.jpg
    989 x 1000 - 163K
    DalekPoster.jpg
    901 x 836 - 144K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,697
    edited September 2017
    (cut) ... and make the status of old freebies that are no longer free absolutely clear. (cut)

That would be a good thing yes.

But it will lead for sure to some odd considerations and strange situations! For example: Fantasy Camp II has been a freebie here at DAZ in June 2012 and is also one of the bi-weekly freebies right now (Sept 2017), do you know what I mean? :) Just think about it... ;)

It would be a crying shame when a lot of really nice freebies can not be used anymore in a 3D Art Freebie Challenge exhibit only because they were free for a limited time, not? The part that you can't use them as a "Countable Freebie" if you can't provide a valid working link should be clear to anyone I think.

The rule used to be that if it was available for free, this month, without a paid membership (people often asked about the Platinum Club freebies, or things from Poser World, which used to be a "Download everything for a monthly subscription fee!" site), then it counted.  Even if it was only available for one week this month, if it was free to all, this month, it counted.  And if the only way to get it free was in a massive bundle that was offered last week at 100% off, if last week was the month of the contest you would cite the bundle and it counted*.  Even if you paid for it two years ago and it's now a Weekly Freebie, it counted.  Basic Content (Simon and Jessi from Poser, for instance, if you were rendering in Poser) was usually no-count:  if it was Base Content from another program (Poser figures in DS, et c.) it was only "free" if the program was.  Bryce and Poser were offered for free for a while, so they were allowable renderers.  Contestants also would list paid products, no-count products, and freebies as distinct lists, and indicate which linked sites required registration to download.

I think the four-word rule is pretty solid.  The "Monster Mash Halloween Bash" was classic and simple, allowing plenty of wiggle-room within its formula:  include a monster and music.  One entry that placed a few years back hit both bases with a simple trick-or-treat scene:  one of the boys wore a toga and carried a violin--- Nero counted as a Monster for purposes of the render.  Others swarmed with skeletons, ghouls, and accordian-players.  I don't remember which frightened whom.

*EDIT:  the "part of the month" rule applied only to Daz3D freebies.  If another site offered limited-run freebies, they were only valid if the run included the entire contest month.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

I think I am gonna go with the Monster Mash theme with the monster and music it sounds like it will conjor up some very interesting renders!!!

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 792
    edited October 2017

I didn't even know there was a freebie contest. I've been reading through some of the old rules and I have a few questions.

In one contest, I saw a rule that morphs count toward a purchased item. Is this for every morph even if they are part of the same package? What if the morphs are free? If we can't use free morphs, this seems like a difficult task. What if we make our own morphs using a modeling app like Lightwave? What about using dforms, export, Morph Loader pro route?

If I build my own figure/prop, is that allowed? I didn't pay anything for it. Or is that deemed unfair advantage?

What is the deal with the reflection rule? What is that about? I've read it several times and I still don't understand it.

Using at least 10 free items seems rather high to me.

I find that the textures that come with free items are usually pretty bad. Are we allowed to make our own to replace them and fix bump maps, normals and other settings that take an "image"?

Where will the final rules be posted?

edit: I have one more question. Aren't there free packs during the PC+ sale? I'm guessing these are not free if you don't have a PC+ membership. Are these considered free? Or are they not free because of the PC+ membership?

Post edited by AlienRenders on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

I didn't even know there was a freebie contest. I've been reading through some of the old rules and I have a few questions.

In one contest, I saw a rule that morphs count toward a purchased item. Is this for every morph even if they are part of the same package? What if the morphs are free? If we can't use free morphs, this seems like a difficult task. What if we make our own morphs using a modeling app like Lightwave? What about using dforms, export, Morph Loader pro route?

If I build my own figure/prop, is that allowed? I didn't pay anything for it. Or is that deemed unfair advantage?

What is the deal with the reflection rule? What is that about? I've read it several times and I still don't understand it.

Using at least 10 free items seems rather high to me.

I find that the textures that come with free items are usually pretty bad. Are we allowed to make our own to replace them and fix bump maps, normals and other settings that take an "image"?

Where will the final rules be posted?

edit: I have one more question. Aren't there free packs during the PC+ sale? I'm guessing these are not free if you don't have a PC+ membership. Are these considered free? Or are they not free because of the PC+ membership?

Ok AlienRenders I will takle these questions one at a time laugh

1. I have new rules up for all to see it is at the top of the contest threads and it is stickied to the top of the Freebie Forum

2. Yes FREE Morphs are allowed

3. If you build your own Figure/Prop and you share it with the community as a freebie then yes it is allowed

4. I am not sure what you are refering to about reflection rules as I do not have that in my updated rules

5. You only have to use 5 FREEBIE items/morphs/etc.......

6. yes you allowed to retexture items/clothes etc.......

7. plz read the NEW RULES that have been posted by clicking the red link and if you have any more questions I will be more then happy to answer them for you laugh

• Thanks for the response. I'll try to take a  look at the next contest. The only question I have is my last one. Are free PC+ packs considered free? They are not free for non-PC+ members afaik.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

they will always be considered as paid for according to the rules governing freebies. A sub to the PC club makes them a purchased item,  even if the price is included in the $7.95 monthly price for a PC+ sub  (other methods of paying the sub are available)