2»

Comments

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

i have the free uv mapper now, not sure how much i can do with that

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

i have the free uv mapper now, not sure how much i can do with that

Not much, apart from projection mapping, which is very limited.

Very useful for many things other than UV mapping, though:)

You should weight up the pro's and cons of UV Mapper Pro against Ultimate Unwrap 3D before buying - similar price, but I think UU3D has a lot more functions.

On the previous page you said you'd figured out how to make a hole in a cube. I know three methods - Boolean, build the cube around an extruded circle and bridging. Please tell me you've found another method:)

edited December 1969

i don't think i have found anything new.

I made a cube and then a circle which i extracted, then I deleted the faces on 2 sides of the cube, then used the bridge tool to bridge the edges of the cube to the edges of the extracted circle.

all the tutorials i found showed building the cube out of the circle itself, this seemed weird and complicated to me, especially since most of the tutorials had no sound or instructions with them.

edited December 1969

i'm such a stoopid newb at this the chances of me actually coming up with something new are purdy darn slim

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

i'm such a stoopid newb at this the chances of me actually coming up with something new are purdy darn slim
    '

So far you've done alright. ;-)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

That is actually a very innovative way to do it - just need to get the math right to have an equal number of edges on the remaining parts of the cube to match the circle.

Another very nice method is what I call "fake Boolean". Make a cube and tessellate 3 times. Select the inner four polys on two opposite side and bridge. This will give a square hole. If you want a round one, re-enforce the outside edges with extract around or champher and smooth.

Those tuts you mentioned - you probably had a problem squaring off the outer extrusions? Very simple - select points one side of the outer edges of the extruded circle, go to properties and under "size" in the X-axis box, type in 0 and enter. Do the same on the other side, then the top and bottom using the Y-axis box. Scale to required size and add thickness.

You could also make a circle and a square around it. Tessellate the square to have an equal number of points as the circle, use ruled surface to join them and add thickness.

There are just so many ways to achieve the same result and it's a lot of fun experimenting.

Cheers:)

edited December 1969

yeah i just made sure the points of the circle matched the points around the edge of my square... well actually on my first attempt i skipped that step, I will say it can be done if the number of points are off, but you save your self a lot of headaches if you make sure the points match