How does "Weld" works in Hexagon?

TryhardTryhard Posts: 166
edited December 2016 in Hexagon Discussion

A bit of context for you guys to better understand this question. Here's my plight:

I founda nifty plugin in DAZ3D That allows me to apply to convert any cloth items into dynamic cloth in Daz3D called DynCreator. The tutorial mentions that some clothes come as "unstiched" and fall apart after you press the drape button. The fix tutorial mentions using Hexagon or Blender. I decided to go with Hexagon because Blender interface makes me want to commit sudoku. So I found this neat YT video that mentions Weld option. The Weld happens at 5m34s:

It's everything I hoped it would be with is a  "select all components, press one button and be done with it" solution.

Im not sure how it works though so I would like to have you guys clarify this:

Does it merges/stiches colliding vertices and turns OBJ into one solid block thus eliminating any sub copmonents? Or is it something else entirely?

I'd like to make sure what Im dealing with before I commit to the purchuse.

Post edited by Tryhard on

Comments

• Yes Hexagon will weld all the parts into one object. But that does not mean that everything is one piece, only the points which occupy the sampe point in space (sound like DR Who) will be welded.

If you've made the piece of clothing youself you'll be fine coz you know how its made, but as the tutorial states, the next step is to make shading domains because when you use the weld tool all UV data is lost.

To start off, select a face and loop it then press the "Shift and +" keys to grow the selection, then when all the parts are highlighted select "New" in the Shading Domains tab and continue.

I'm going to sent you a PM.

• TryhardTryhard Posts: 166

So what would happen if I were to try to drape the cloth again after I welded the edges but didnt do any Shading Domain?

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 2016

When you export the obj there will be no material settings (UV's) so it will load into Daz Studio with a Default Material. You will not be able to assign a texture to it. Also, you may not be able to rig it if there are no shading domains.

I have not got the software so I'm only going by experience.

Edit - The Geek At Play tutorials are great, I really like the project based ones. Have you tried Danny's Hover Bike ?

Part 1 of 8 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Scn_kDCc8o

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on

Oh so it's just UV/Texturing issue? That's a non issue to me since I only need this for toon/anime hair I import from MMD and all it takes to make them look good in Daz is Visual Style Shader.

• The shading domains may be an issue though. When it comes to rigging, Daz Studio converts the domain into a bone (not exactly but I that's how I see it) which is needed if you want to bend something. If you want movement you need bones (or morphs).

Doubt that is the case but I'll keep that in mind if the hair/cloth models will act in a way they shouldnt.About the bike thingy though. When it comes to scupling 3d machines I'm more of a sketchup guy since I like simplistic geometrical shapes. Had a blast taking the unaromored skeleton from Daz's Modular Mecha Kit and building gundam around it:

http://dzonatan.deviantart.com/art/Commission-25-ToxicPhantomSan-622857264

edited December 2016

I made something simular years ago (Digital Art Zone days). This actually moved, all the pieces where parented to V4, so when you moved her arm the transformer's arm moved :)

transformer.jpg
    399 x 555 - 105K

K so going back to the whole Shadow Domains thing. I did tried to export back a 3d model I welded in Hexagon but it exploded same was as if nothing changed. I'm messing around with this Shadow Domain thing. I selected all the faces, went to Shadow Domains window and pressed New. What i got now is this:

http://imgur.com/a/nHR26

What now?

edited December 2016

I cannot really advise you because I do not own the software, but it looks like SickleYield does, she has just posted a series of tutorials over at DA. 

http://www.deviantart.com/journal/Some-New-Tutorials-On-Cloth-Simulation-653785519

I will make a short video on making Shading Domains for you and send a PM when its done.