Creating a loft effect in Hexagon

I have been looking in the forums for loft type effect in hex, but with no luck!  I'm sure there is a tool( maybe gordon surface?) that can do it.  Basically I want to create obj similar to the following link for making toon hair.

http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/1032-making-of-makes-me-fly-3ds-max-photoshop-by-adrien-castel-character-cartoon-balloon-fly-scene

Comments

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215

You can use the simple Extrude function (Under Vertex Modeling) for such an effect, after some manipulation, or you can get much more complex by using the Surface tools/functions, which is much more like the technique show in your link.

However, the Surface functions/tools can get very complex and finicky. There are a number of tutorials that can walk you through this fairly complex bit of procedural modeling with Hexagon and, IIRC, "Geekatplay" has some on his website that use these tools.

BUT, then can generate some very nice complex shapes, so they're worth learning. I've used them to generate shapes that wouldn't be easily constructed in any other way and they're pretty powerful tools.

(For your hair, I'd create a number of basic "leaflike" shapes, extrude them and then do a bit of manual scale changes for the edges to give that wedgish sort of appearance. That'd be the fastest, easiest, solution with no "loft" or other complex operations necessary.)

• BurrManBurrMan Posts: 20
    edited January 2017

I would call that a "Sweep"... Here's a vid of using the "double sweep" in Hexagon.

https://youtu.be/G7rgI1xy0Rc

Although I had to use a "fake tip" by making a small little profile. (Probably just fast extrude that to a point after if you wanted)

It would be nice to have the sweep with an option to go to a point, instead of that...

Post edited by BurrMan on
  • Thank's Morkonan and BurrMan!  I tried a few experiements using 4 sides curves and 2 circles similiar to double sweep but using the Gordon Surface.  It sorta worked but was a bit to time consuming.  I think gordon surfaces would work faster as good bottle maker.  I did make use of the sweep to get something close to my example.  I will try a duoble sweep test and dive into some of the surface functions.  I feel like my noob modeling skills haven't caught up to my drawing and imagination.