Long boring thread...

Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229
edited January 2017 in Hexagon Discussion

Heh heh... I was going to call this one "DAZ virus!" so thanks for reading, I need some assistance etc.

Actually I looked up "germs" and "virus" in the store just now and while there are "sick" figures and zombies and so on, and at least one haz-mat suit (the other, similar products didn't seem to come up?) there are no actual basic LIFE FORMS except for the Fly (some great maggots there) and the Noggins "Rat". Which seems a pity because (like the faceted eyes on a future, improved fly) viruses and bacteria are just begging to be done in Hexagon, you know cylinders and spiral whips and tails and tetrahedron-shaped phages and so on. Also in the movie "Contagion" those neat chemical models and things, as they try to sequence the virus... sounds like a lot more opportunity there for practice and you're doing something educational at the same time. smiley  But maybe this sort of thing is already hot in the Maya and Blender communities, I don't know. Btw on Facebook in the "Hexagon Modellers" group there is a fellow chronicling his acquistion of a 3-D printer. He says he has a 500 x 500 millimeter print area? What's that, like bowling ball size? Hmmm!

Anyway... I was continuing to tweak and chop away at my wooden planks here and I wanted to see if I could make a pointy end... and from there to get to "splinters" like in an amusement park attraction where the timbers "cave in" over you, along pre-made lines sort of thing.

So I started to tesellate a bit, to get to the "point" thinking I could disassociate the two bits on either side of the point... that didn't work and it pulled on the side a bit, making my board start to look like a phage! Worse, the model got infected by an n-gon and before you could say "cra- "

before-n-gons-planks-of-wood.jpg
800 x 600 - 38K
n-gons2.jpg
800 x 600 - 47K
n-gons3.jpg
800 x 600 - 54K
phage.jpg
1024 x 533 - 165K
Post edited by Roman_K2 on

Comments

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229

So I was able to "close" one side of the pointed shape, but now I can't seem to repeat the Close operation, and the gap in the pointed shape is getting bigger. Help! I'm stuck!

stuck.jpg
    733 x 716 - 135K
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

From your last posted image I think I see what you need to do.

See the images below:

close1.png
    1270 x 969 - 237K
    close2.png
    1269 x 968 - 259K
    close3.png
    1269 x 970 - 244K
    close4.png
    1270 x 970 - 268K

Ahhhh... thanks so much.

You say "after the edges are closed, add a vertical edge at the point", eg. the pointy tip of the object. Do you mean with the Free Tesellate tool?

Every now and then -- especially with the Close tool, it seems -- I seem to run into stuff that works one time, but then I can't duplicate the results an hour later or the next day.

In this screen shot I was messing with a cube. I sliced it a couple of times, then disassociated a couple of faces, and I copied and pasted them. I also managed to delete the entire top of the cube when I deleted some edges. I can select an edge but I can't move it or do anything else. Hexagon seems to have completely stopped.

strange-frozen.jpg
    1024 x 690 - 116K
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    Roman_K2 said:

You say "after the edges are closed, add a vertical edge at the point", eg. the pointy tip of the object. Do you mean with the Free Tesellate tool?

Use the Tessellate Tool's "Tessellation by Segment" option (also called "Surface Tessellation"). Hold down the Shift key to snap to the existing vertexes.

Roman_K2 said:
     Every now and then -- especially with the Close tool, it seems -- I seem to run into stuff that works one time, but then I can't duplicate the results an hour later or the next day.

In this screen shot I was messing with a cube. I sliced it a couple of times, then disassociated a couple of faces, and I copied and pasted them. I also managed to delete the entire top of the cube when I deleted some edges. I can select an edge but I can't move it or do anything else. Hexagon seems to have completely stopped.

I can't really tell what's going on in your last image, but I do know that Hexagon can glitch out if you try to do something that it's not prepared to handle. You kind of have to learn to do things the "Hexagon way" and avoid procedures that cause it to freak out. smiley

I think I get it now... thanks. Going back to my row of planks, this here setup seemed to do the same thing - things seemed to come to a halt.

I tried to make a corresponding "dovetail" to match the pointed, phage-like shape but it's been tough slogging. No idea what one or two faces seemed to turn black.

planks5-how-to-make-a-dovetail.jpg
    1024 x 540 - 156K