Greg Zaal giving away free 16K HDRI every week

2»

Comments

• I'm not sure what happened to the site but all I get is a big countdown timer that underneath says "Things are changing"

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Aww, that's too bad. Thanks so much for the reminders. I was able to grab quite a few of the free ones.

• website entered self-destruction mode or something :S

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited October 2017

Great News. The website is back up and it looks like all the HDRIs (even the high resolution ones, except 16K) are free

https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/

However, the site seems slow.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

Great News. The website is back up and it looks like all the HDRIs (even the high resolution ones, except 16K) are free

https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/

However, the site seems slow.

I'm sure it's under heavy load as everyone is jumping in and grabbing what they want.

The 16k HDRIs on there he has stated will be free once his Patreon reaches $100/mo so he can afford the bandwidth for them.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I went ahead and became a Patron. I use enough of his stuff and the $3 with Google Drive access is worth it. 

Llynara said:

I went ahead and became a Patron. I use enough of his stuff and the $3 with Google Drive access is worth it. 

Is downloading the HDRI from the Google drive to one of my hard drives significantly faster than downloading for his site (which seems pretty slow) ?

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781

Won't even load for me. Chrome tried but quit when it took too long.

Byrdie said:

Won't even load for me. Chrome tried but quit when it took too long.

I got his email notification shortly before I saw this here.  It's been getting progressively more slashdotted since.  I'm betting his hosting provider is totally overloaded with the number of requests coming in at the moment.  It will improve, once fewer and fewer are trying to just grab all they can.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited October 2017

I grabbed 3 8K one's earlier after seeing his facebook announcement 

last time I grabbed a 16K it took too long and I figured I did not really need that detail

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited October 2017

Well, on my latest attempt, the download page had a new message:

Oh boy, the site is really stuggling with all the traffic. Try downloading with this link instead.

For now, please only download what you need and come back later for the rest when things have calmed down :)

I think I'll need to upgrade the server sooner than expected, so any help you can give over on Patreon will be much appreciated!

So yep, his site is totally overloaded at the moment. 

Post edited by hphoenix on

Guess I'll wait a few days and try again. 

The site and downloads are much faster today

Got into the site but keep getting the Bad Gateway error on downloads. Obviously much more patience is required. 

• michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219
    edited October 2017

Awesome news

Post edited by michaeltoo on

A new batch of HDRI's has been added to the site: https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/category/?c=all

As some of you may already know last fall Greg Zaal changed his website to give away all his HDRIs as Creative Commons licensed.

https://hdrihaven.com/

And he has just posted 60 more free HDRIs with resolutions up  to 16K; No registration required

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048

Thanks so much for these!

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited April 2018

I do truly like the HDRI's that is on the site, but I must admit I have no idea how to get them to work. With the ones I buy from Daz and such I only have to click, but these I'm not even sure if I should put them in a folder in the content library and click from there, of if I need to go search for them through the enviroment pane in render settings. *curious*

Edit: Figured it out, browsing to the folder I had them in worked :) I blame my lack of mind earlier for not having had my morning coffee :)

Post edited by Carola O on