(Script)Apply dual lobe features to pre lobe G3 skins

13»

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017

Good news: 80% rendered and still no spots on Kat! Going to let it run to 100% to be sure and then post. 

UPDATE: 94% rendered and still no spots!

Post edited by Llynara on
  • Llynara said:

Good news: 80% rendered and still no spots on Kat! Going to let it run to 100% to be sure and then post. 

Yay! I was tearing my hair out over this issue last night. It's like the spots are the skin reflecting the background but when the bg is transparent, the "reflection" is too... I feel as though that shouldn't happen regardless of various sss settings but then again I'm not an engine programmer lol

Neither am I, LOL. But I worked in IT for the past ten years (until recently) and am more than happy to help test and troubleshoot stuff. I didn't know much about skin settings til I started playing with Anagenessis 2. I still have lots of to learn. Thank you so much for your script. It's very helpful and really does make the skin look beautiful. It's a great and useful fix till we get Anagenessis 3 (gosh, I can't wait!) 

PS Still rendering. At 95%, it's taking forever but still no spots.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    Llynara said:

Yay! I was tearing my hair out over this issue last night. It's like the spots are the skin reflecting the background but when the bg is transparent, the "reflection" is too... I feel as though that shouldn't happen regardless of various sss settings but then again I'm not an engine programmer lol

And that sounds suspiciously like another bug I reported to DAZ about DAZ Studio 4.9.4.117 that the window glass shader in Windows Seat product causes to show up.

• 3-D Arena3-D Arena Posts: 194
    Llynara said:

Not sure I can post any screenshots of settings, but I did find Diffuse Overlay Settings by going into Surfaces->Skin->Base->Diffuse. I set them up the same as V8, we'll see if that helps. 

Also, interesting- V8 has normal maps everywhere. The G3F skin I'm using doesn't.

EDIT: And that yielded scary, "super geisha" results. Almost like the gamma is screwed up. I didn't get speckles, I just got plaster white face! LOL Time for bed, brain is mush.

It very well may be the gamma.  Several are having issues with the gamma being reset randomly on various texture nodes with G3F MATs. In my case it will be lips & ears.  Then the next load those are fine and it's legs or arms etc.

edited June 2017

This render finally finished and her skin looks perfect. No spots at all. I rendered it big, so you can click and zoom in for details. Thank you so much. Lain, for figuring out the issue. I will certainly use this on other older skins and let you know if I get any spots/speckles.

Dual Lobe Shaders 3.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,482
    edited June 2017

So - just to be clear ... what fixed the problem? Is it the updated script or some gamma setting? Sorry, I'm just not sure from the preceding posts.

Post edited by marble on
    edited June 2017

@marble This is what fixed it for me. I updated to the script Lain posted and ran that. No speckles at all. Would love to see if it fixes it for you and others having issues. (That gamma issue was from some of the fiddling I was doing on my own. I was copying settings from V8, but they were for her eyebrows. Doh!)

good news everyone!

i think i found one of the/the only issue with the dreaded spots.

ive updated the script on my machine but have _not_ uploaded it yet. if you'd like to test what im testing, download this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7er9seql8z28f2/ekm_lobe-ify.dsa?dl=0

what did i change? well, after some tests, i started copying v8's settings over by hand and discovered that transmitted>chromatic>sss color was a little less pale on v8, who doesn't have the issue. so i adjusted my script to also be more pale. and now the tests that showed spots before don't. worth a shot, eh?

if this seems to work i will upload a new version

if anyone is interested in my test images, they can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6h9wln4c9an94o9/AABcXZzhyOUFWmJTfAEiy2gBa?dl=0

(g8 with v8's skin on the left, g8 with v7's stock and lobed skins on the right. look at the file names)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

I'm seeing a problem but not by using dual lobe or chromatic sss. Any suggestions on applying the above fix? 

edited June 2017

Timmins, dig around and look at the SSS settings. Seems like something in those + certain lights aren't happy. 

FYI- Just noticed something I wanted to share about this script. If your figure looks too dark or tan, you can adjust the translucency weight. The script sets it to .90. I had a fair skinned character that needed .60. Testing it on a darker skinned character now. 

EDITED TO ADD: You can also check the translucency weight of your character's skin before applying the script, then set it back to that translucency weight if needed. I found my darker skinned character looked better with her default of .41.

translucency weight.JPG
    233 x 51 - 11K
  • hello party people. with Llynara's help, I've uploaded a new version of the script

https://www.sharecg.com/v/88538/view/8/Script/Ekm-Dual-Lobe-ify-G3

This should help adjust the out of the box issues people were having with the spots. I have no idea if these new settings will work in 100% of all use cases. If you run into issues try changing the settings highlighted in the attached image.

sss settings.png
    448 x 546 - 114K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I tried the Presto Morpho script to transfer LY Stormy to GF8 and it didn't work. Does G3F & G8F both need to be in their zero poses?

https://www.daz3d.com/ly-stormy

frown

However, I did also run Ify script on a G3M with iRay & it works. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited June 2017

The new script works much better! Thank you! I only found one "dead pixel" - on her forehead. No biggy at all. 

I noticed that it darkens the skin a bit, but the skin does look better, imo. So definitely worth it! :) Thank you for the great script! 

Edit - I find that dropping the Translucency Weight to .79, it seems to help with the skin darkening issue:

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,482

hello party people. with Llynara's help, I've uploaded a new version of the script

This should help adjust the out of the box issues people were having with the spots. I have no idea if these new settings will work in 100% of all use cases. If you run into issues try changing the settings highlighted in the attached image.

Thank you for sticking with this despite the initial problems. Much appreciated.

• The new script works much better! Thank you! I only found one "dead pixel" - on her forehead. No biggy at all. 

I noticed that it darkens the skin a bit, but the skin does look better, imo. So definitely worth it! :) Thank you for the great script! 

Edit - I find that dropping the Translucency Weight to .79, it seems to help with the skin darkening issue:

I was playing around with things the other day and found that the new g8 skins that use a color image map for translucency are much paler than the base color image map. this would be easy to fix for older skins by taking the base color map into an gimp or ps and upping the brightness.

and np, @marble!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Could you use Shader Mixer to mix the Base Color image map with just a simple white, I think around 40% white, 60% image map mix would be about right. This would save having to create a new map and make the process fully automated.

• boudicaboudica Posts: 13

I'm experimenting at the mo, by using the mei lin 7 texture and taking it into layered image editor and mixing it with the mei lin 7 sss map at a blend of 40% for the sss and 100 % for the diffuse map, it seems to brighten the diffuse just enough. I wont know how good it looks until the image has finished rendering though.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Yes, I have realised that LIE is probably an easier route than my suggestion of using the Shader Mixer!

• boudicaboudica Posts: 13

Seems to work, i've uploaded a pic lotus 2 to my gallery, not really sure how to post images on here without taking up the whole page lol.

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,144

While I (not so patiently) await NGS3, I still want to play with the fancy new dual lobe feature! So I hacked together a little script to retrofit G3 figures with some of the shader lessons and tech of G8. Enjoy!

Wow , thank you so much.