USS Discovery for Poser and DAZ Studio

And the next starship from the Chris Kuhn collection is now available for free at Vanishing Point: the USS Discovery (for Poser) and USS Discovery (for DAZ Studio). This is the main ship from the CBS All-Access TV show, Star Trek: Discovery.

* Poser figure file or DAZ Studio prop, with 174,701 polygons.
* Not scaled to the size of the Poser/ DAZ figures.
* Panel lines and other details are modelled into the mesh.
* No moving parts.

* One texture map with hull coloring and the name of the ship, at 4096x4096 pixels
* DAZ Studio version: all of the materials use Iray shaders.

Original model by Chris Kuhn and Poser/ DAZ Studio conversion by me.

USSDiscoveryDS1_800.jpg
800 x 800 - 213K
USSDiscoveryPoser2.jpg
600 x 600 - 90K

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,538
    edited May 2018

Haven't watched the show yet except for the pilot, but this looks cool.  I would love it if you guys could do some more Star Wars ships, especially a rigged Slave I, the Ghost, the U-Wing. and Poe's X-Wing.  smileyheart

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • VanishingPointVanishingPoint Posts: 50
    edited May 2018
    tkdrobert said:

Haven't watched the show yet except for the pilot, but this looks cool.  I would love it if you guys could do some more Star Wars ships, especially a rigged Slave I, the Ghost, the U-Wing. and Poe's X-Wing.  smileyheart

Those are all good ideas. I'll take a look to see if anyone's already made those models and get their permission to rig and optimize them for Poser and DAZ Studio. It's usually quicker to rig someone else's models than make it from scratch. wink

Post edited by VanishingPoint on
    tkdrobert said:

Those are all good ideas. I'll take a look to see if anyone's already made those models and get their permission to rig and optimize them for Poser and DAZ Studio. It's usually quicker to rig someone else's models than make it from scratch. wink

I’ve seen a lot of Poe’s xwing in other formats, but I’ve had no luck converting them to OBJ and if I did, they would not be rigged.  I converted to OBJ a free lwo of Slave One.  It looks great but is not rigged.  I’ve only seen two Ghosts.  One is 3DMax and it’s on Deviantart.  I couldn’t convert it.  The other can’t be shared due to a contact.

• Speaking of rigging sci-fi stuff....  it sorta aggravates me that with the various TARDIS console room sets I've grabbed from over on shareCG and the like, the main doors aren't rigged, same with the scanner screen (which have in-built panels that slide down over them when not in use).  I wonder what other space-opeea stuff over there could use a rigging.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,457

I haven't seen Discovery at all. But I find her design really intruiging. Thank you for sharing :)

• Speaking of rigging sci-fi stuff....  it sorta aggravates me that with the various TARDIS console room sets I've grabbed from over on shareCG and the like, the main doors aren't rigged, same with the scanner screen (which have in-built panels that slide down over them when not in use).  I wonder what other space-opeea stuff over there could use a rigging.

If you can get pemission from the artist who made the item, I can take a look at rigging and converting it. :)

N_R Arts said:

I haven't seen Discovery at all. But I find her design really intruiging. Thank you for sharing :)

The Discovery is actually based on the Ralph McQuarrie concept for the new Enterprise for the "Star Trek: Phase II" TV show. But then "Star Wars" came along and Paramount decided to turn the proposed TV show into a movie... and we got "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" with an Enterprise that looked more like the original series.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,933
    edited May 2018

Actually, my undesrstanding is that the design that became the Discovery was an earlier, rejected design for either Phase II, or for an earlier planned production that didn't go anywhere.  They actually built a full, production version of the Enterprise model for Phase II that was very close to what we got in ST:TMP, the main difference is the deflector array looked different, and there were no individual hull plates (the hull was all one seamless surface, like we had in TOS), otherwise it was identical looking to what was in TMP.  They'd already built the bridge set for Phase II, and it looked mostly identical to what was in TMP, except the buttons where more in the style of what was in TOS.  The cooridors looked closer to TOS in style, though, and the engine room, oddly, was closer to what we later got in ST:TNG.  What's really interesting, though, is they had made cast-aluminum hand phasers that where virtually identical to the ones from TOS, but the phaser 1 actually detached off the top of the phaser 2 body, and the pistol-grips came out, since those were actually the powerpacks for the phaser 2.  No telling what ever became of those hand phaser props.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • A_C_CA_C_C Posts: 21

Actually, my undesrstanding is that the design that became the Discovery was an earlier, rejected design for either Phase II, or for an earlier planned production that didn't go anywhere.  They actually built a full, production version of the Enterprise model for Phase II that was very close to what we got in ST:TMP, the main difference is the deflector array looked different, and there were no individual hull plates (the hull was all one seamless surface, like we had in TOS), otherwise it was identical looking to what was in TMP.  They'd already built the bridge set for Phase II, and it looked mostly identical to what was in TMP, except the buttons where more in the style of what was in TOS.  The cooridors looked closer to TOS in style, though, and the engine room, oddly, was closer to what we later got in ST:TNG.  What's really interesting, though, is they had made cast-aluminum hand phasers that where virtually identical to the ones from TOS, but the phaser 1 actually detached off the top of the phaser 2 body, and the pistol-grips came out, since those were actually the powerpacks for the phaser 2.  No telling what ever became of those hand phaser props.

It came from an earlier, pre-Phase II, attempt at a movie that it was called "Planet of Titans". More details here.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

Speaking of rigging sci-fi stuff....  it sorta aggravates me that with the various TARDIS console room sets I've grabbed from over on shareCG and the like, the main doors aren't rigged, same with the scanner screen (which have in-built panels that slide down over them when not in use).  I wonder what other space-opeea stuff over there could use a rigging.

For personal use I "broke down" CastIronFlamingo's "late Tom Baker/early Peter Davison" console room, the interior and exterior doors as well as the scanner "shutters".  I "rebuilt" it as a collection of "parented" props, hiding the unneeded parameters and setting appropriate limits.  Yeah, an arrangement like that should really be treated as a "figure" (.CR2 file), but I'm not that competent in proper figure rigging.

Still, it works well enough for my purposes.

Sincerely,

Bill

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    A_C_C said:

It came from an earlier, pre-Phase II, attempt at a movie that it was called "Planet of Titans". More details here.

Wow, I had forgotten that was a Ken Adam concept design before it was a Ralph McQuarrie concept design.

• tkdrobert said:

Thanks for the links. 

I downloaded the TFA X-Wing and there's no readme file or contact information, so there's no one to ask if it's okay to convert and redistribute the model. wink

The A-Wing has a readme file, but there's contact information.

And the Slave-I has a readme file with an e-mail so I'll try contacting the original artist.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

wonderful gifts thank you very much and for the orvelle too  :)

tkdrobert said:

Thanks for the links. 

I downloaded the TFA X-Wing and there's no readme file or contact information, so there's no one to ask if it's okay to convert and redistribute the model. wink

The A-Wing has a readme file, but there's contact information.

And the Slave-I has a readme file with an e-mail so I'll try contacting the original artist.

I'll try to find some more.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

I had a quick look at the Slave-1 model, merging all the bits into PoseRay and exporting as a single .obj for importing into D|S. Considering its age, the mesh is really pretty good, and there might be a possibility of making the twin gun turrets and wings moveable. (Except the Boba Fett figure itself, that's a bit on the crude side.) The only issues I can see are the textures — in common with many models of this vintage, there are lots and lots of teensy tiny texture files, and I'm not sure if the areas of extreme UV stretching are all in hidden parts where the model pieces come together — and the material names, which I'm not sure are actually consistent over the various pieces, and many of them are just "Default__sub___<number>" making it tricky to keep track of what each material actually is.

Texture issues aside, it's still a nice model, and I'd love to see it updated to modern standards.

I had a quick look at the Slave-1 model, merging all the bits into PoseRay and exporting as a single .obj for importing into D|S. Considering its age, the mesh is really pretty good, and there might be a possibility of making the twin gun turrets and wings moveable. (Except the Boba Fett figure itself, that's a bit on the crude side.) The only issues I can see are the textures — in common with many models of this vintage, there are lots and lots of teensy tiny texture files, and I'm not sure if the areas of extreme UV stretching are all in hidden parts where the model pieces come together — and the material names, which I'm not sure are actually consistent over the various pieces, and many of them are just "Default__sub___<number>" making it tricky to keep track of what each material actually is.

Texture issues aside, it's still a nice model, and I'd love to see it updated to modern standards.

I converted it using PoseRay a while back.  Appying all the textures was a pain in the neck, but it was worth it.  I made the cockpit glass highly reflective, so you couldn't see the Fett figire inside.  I would like to be able to move the wings and guns.