Does Poser 7 have an upper limit for Runtime display?

clemenceauclemenceau Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Apologies if this question has been asked, I searched for it here did not see it.

The reason I ask is that I have recently added new content and for the life of me, can't find any of it where it's supposed to be.......

TKS

Comments

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited August 2013

What operating system, and where do you have Poser installed? Poser 7 and earlier cannot be installed in the C:\Program Files hierarchy of Windows Vista or higher due to User Access Control, which caused issues when content is installed.....

Post edited by WandW on
  • clemenceauclemenceau Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

Gee, I wonder where my answer went?

I've installed Poser 7 in the default directory for Vista.

C:/Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser 7

I don't actually have a problem installing content. But now I have a problem with brand new content that has DISAPPEARED.

Post edited by clemenceau on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

Where is the content installed?

edited August 2013

c:/program files/curious labs/poser 4/runtime.........

I'm only using 2 runtimes BTW. It could load faster but that's not the problem here.

Poser 4 had an upper Runtime limit, was it 256? Not sure, but there was a definite wall, after which, new content failed to show up..

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

Your poser 4 runtime, is it a completely independent runtime (No trace of P4 attached to it)

Have you done a search using windows explorer to see if you can find the new content that way?

Sometimes 3rd party zips do have bad pathing issues and an upper case instead of a lower case letter (or vice versa) can throw things off.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

Is this running under Vista or later? If so the Program Files folders are protected by the OS. Poser 7 can use an external location for its content, but Poser 4 can't - your only option would be to move the whole kit and kaboodle to an external location.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

Gee, I wonder where my answer went?

I've installed Poser 7 in the default directory for Vista.

C:/Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser 7

I don't actually have a problem installing content. But now I have a problem with brand new content that has DISAPPEARED.

You can't put it there; Poser 7 predates Vista. User Access Control will keep your newly installed content from working, as you have discovered. Instead of reinstalling, copy your Poser 7 directory to C:\, then reinstall SR3 (you did install SR3, right? http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser7updates.html ) and point it to the new location and you be good to go.

If you have other content runtimes, move them out of Program files (I have a folder called 'Poser Library' ) and add them as external runtimes...

https://support.smithmicro.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2083/~/installing-poser-content-from-previous-poser-versions

edited August 2013

OK,

The reason I asked about upper limits is that I've been using Poser 7 for three years, have added at least 800 new items during that time, but it's only in the last week that my content is not showing up. So, it seems to have been working up until this week...........?

What I also don't understand is that, while Poser 7 may predate the OS, I've installed it in the default directory for the application. I probably don't have SR3 now that you mention it. What did the SR update?

Yes, I can find all the missing content using Windows search, where it should be. A lot of the slightly older DAZ content was configured to install in the Curious Labs/Poser 4/Runtime directory.........Probably still does.

OS is Vista.

I had left P4 installed, but I don't use it.

Thanks for the links, I'll read them later today. Appreciate. Just wondering why if the configuration I'm using isn't working, why it would suddenly cease to do so after 3 years and lots of products.........

TKS

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That could be your problem then, as if the Poser 4 runtime is still associated with P4 and it's restrictions and your content is still being installed in that runtime.

I backed up my Poser 4 runtime Uninstalled Poser 4 when I installed P6 did the same with P6 when I installed P8 I just then associated the P4 runtime and the P6 runtime with the later poser version as an additional runtime.

my_poser_runtimes.jpg
    450 x 218 - 82K
    edited August 2013

While I was using Poser 4, I ran up against that wall definitely. But once I upgraded to 7, those restrictions didn't apply anymore. Clearly, I do need to do some reorganization, but ultimately, I still can't help but wonder why all this suddenly stopped working THIS WEEK after three years of use with no problems.

Does seem as if some artificial limitation has been met somehow.