My first freebie character

Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,520

Well, after working on nothing but textures for awhile, I thought I'd venture out into something more complicated - a character!

https://sharecg.com/v/92435/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Halloween1

She's a "sexy goblin" character with shape and texture.  I have no idea if I packaged everything correctly, but I hope it's close enough!

Halloween1 Face.png
3000 x 1854 - 2M
Halloween1 Front.png
3000 x 1854 - 723K
Halloween1 Back.png
3000 x 1854 - 691K

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited October 2018

Well, you're coming along quite nicely fot a first attempt. Thank you for sharing. Insofar as packaging is concerned, it is pretty much close enough, and she loads and works fine. However, if you are looking for feedback, here is what I found:

I attempted to extract the contents of the downloaded zip archive to a temporary folder, prior to copying the relevant bits to my content library. The first attempt resulted in a lot of error messages and the file didn't extract correctly using my default archiving software. No problem, I simply used 7-zip (which seems to often be foolproof), and the files extracted correctly. This is not due to any fault on your part, but merely reflects the fact that different archiving software uses different compression algorithyms and not every archiving program can properly read archives produced by another. I only mention this for the benefit of anyone encountering a similar problem and think that the archive was somehow corrupted. It is not. Simply try another archiving program. Did I mention 7-zip? Its free, small and is a handy tool to keep in your virtual toolbox in case needed.

One other thing, and this is rather nitpicky, especially since Mac users often get the short end of the stick these days. You are obviously using a Mac. I know this since the archive contains a MACOSX folder for Mac-specific files. OSX uses .DS_Store files in much the same way that Windows use Thumbs.db files - to store the thumbnails associated with the files in a directory/folder. As a consequence, OSX dutifully creates a .DS_Store file for every directory/folder created during the packaging process, including any and all directories/folders intended for Windows use. These extra files don't do any harm, although they are of no use in Windows, but some DAZ users may actually believe them to be some sort of files associated with the actual DAZ3D store - which, of course, they are not. Being a Windows user myself, whenever I spot an extracted archive that has one of those .DS_Store files in it, and knowing what they are, I immediately do a search of the extracted archives for "store" and delete all the .DS_Store files prior to moving them to my content library. Not a big deal. Here again, nothing wrong on your part, but I mention it in case some Windows user runs across this and winders what those files are and whether they are necessary. Also Windows users should know that the _MACOSX folder are not required for Windows and can be discarded. (Of course, if a Windows user simply extracts the contents of the .zip archive directly to their content library they are going to create a bit of a mess well beyond what I have discussed - the rule is always to extract them to a temporary location first and only copy the appropriate parts to one's content library).

Anyway, thanks again, Fae, and here's a quick pic of your character installed and working.

HLWN1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 599K
    Post edited by SixDs on
  • Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,520

Thank you very much, SixDs, for the assessment.  I had no idea about the Mac only stuff, but as long as it doesn't cause any trouble that should be fine.  

It's very exciting to see someone else use your character, thanks for that too! ^_^