Distortion after rotation with custom morph applied

reko34reko34 Posts: 94
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I made a morph to drag the foot and part of the shin downwards. As for the foot it's a simple transformation, all verticles move along the y axis for the same value.
Zero postition with the morph applied looks OK. But with rotation for some degree, mesh near the ankle distorted. If I understand correctly, the range of the rotation function sticks to the original mesh. The morph shouldn't change the rotation behavior, so there should be no difference except that a rotated foot moves downwards.
I also looked into the cr2 and found no CTRL-channel(no idea how to call them) on the foot actor. Someone know what could cause the distortion?

Comments

• reko34reko34 Posts: 94
    edited December 1969

Besides the morph way, I also tried to use ytranslate to move the foot. It need only sevel rows of code instead of thousands. But the joint functions are affected and great distortion are visible. Is it possible to use translate to move the foot without changing the rotation behavior?

Another question. I noticed 3 OffsetA always have the same values with the actor origin and 3 OffsetB have opposite values. So every actor has 102 row of useless information which can be read from the origin coordinates. Why do they exist?

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

The problem is you are moving the verticies in relation to the joint center and joint zones, which likely accounts for the distortion you are seeing when bending.

You probably would be better off by simply lengthening the shin using its y-scale dial.. The dial may be hidden, depending on which figure you are using. Snarlygribbley's free Scene Fixer script has a function to unhide hidden parameter dials, and other useful tools too...

http://www.snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    The problem is you are moving the verticies in relation to the joint center and joint zones, which likely accounts for the distortion you are seeing when bending.

You probably would be better off by simply lengthening the shin using its y-scale dial.. The dial may be hidden, depending on which figure you are using. Snarlygribbley's free Scene Fixer script has a function to unhide hidden parameter dials, and other useful tools too...

http://www.snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

I forgot to mention, I'm using V4 (with part of A4 transformation). I think joint center is determined by cooridinates instead of some verticles, right? At least I didn't find anything showing relationship of joint properties and verticles.
    YScale can lengthen the shin but not in the exact way i wanted. Also it makes the shoes unable to follow the foot movement and it's terrible for shoes that don't cover the foot surface.

edited December 1969

The joint center location is fixed by the skeleton setup; the mesh follows the skeleton, but not the reverse.. Changing the y scale of an actor does affect the skeleton, but morphing doers not. You can move the shin-foot joint center to compensate but it likely will cause problems with conforming clothing.

Lengthening the shin shouldn't cause problems with shoes; are they smart props or conforming shoes? What version of Poser are you using?

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    The joint center location is fixed by the skeleton setup; the mesh follows the skeleton, but not the reverse.. Changing the y scale of an actor does affect the skeleton, but morphing doers not. You can move the shin-foot joint center to compensate but it likely will cause problems with conforming clothing.

Lengthening the shin shouldn't cause problems with shoes; are they smart props or conforming shoes? What version of Poser are you using?

I think you're right. Though A4 looks to have better body proportion but meshes near all joint centers are unchanged. It's a bad idea to drag them away if Daz avoid doing that.

I'm using Poser 6 and having problems with all shoes if yscale of shin is changed.

edited December 1969

I could see that y-scaling wouldn't work in Poser 6; single axis scaling doesn't work correctly until Poser 9.... :(