UV Mapping

2»

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849
    Xellosz said:

Hi, how can I make the UV map bigger? Somehow it comes out just 497*497. With the help of the youtube videos I managed to get the UV map manageable even with unorthodox form.

Maximise it on your monitor and do a screenshot. That said, with this simple shape you don't need a larger UV template. Scaling it in any image manipulation software to the size of your intended texture will not affect it significantly enough to be concerned about it.

• Xellosz, Hexagons UV mapping side of things aint that great, to use UVmapper Classic (and other apps) load the OBJ file in and choose the size you want. Not sure but I think it needs to be square (1024*1024 etc).

• handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 405
    edited March 2019

UVMapper has been a bit frustrating for me...
    I have to tear apart my models into pieces or I get "exceeds the map screen, do you want to edit it." messages.

But to be honest, I'm still REALLY new at this so it may be me.

Xell:
    You can't.
    It is what it is. Maybe the developers will one day increase the res but for now, it is what it is.

Post edited by handyman4545 on
  • Handyman, can you do a Hexagon screengrab of your UV map next time you're unfolding an object. Zoom out and make sure all the pieces are inside the grid. You do not want any points on (or past) the outer frame, keeping things inside the grid also helps when you're texturing a prop.

I did add few Feature Requests for the UV mapping side of things, so hopefully they'll look into it. 

• XelloszXellosz Posts: 742

Thx for the info. Now I regret my tv is not working anymore with my PC.

I'm new to Hexa too, and wanted to keep things as simple as I could that's why I was hoping for that Hexa could do it.

I find Hexa easy to handle in most of the cases. The UV mapping part gave me problems, but if this is the case, I'll try to shift that part to other software.

Question:

Do I need a big UV map if I build a thing from smaller part and work with Iray shaders? Probably not.

I just put a general color on the parts, so it could work without Iray, but it will be the best with Iray.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

That depends wholly on WHAT you are using and WHAT you are showing.

• One thing I will say about Hex, UV Mapping is that it never "Exceeds the screen."
    Oddly though, it often puts the image, no matter what the scale, in a lower corner of the map so tiny you can't even see it till you zoom the area.

Still haven't figured that one out yet.

• Handyman, you can manually put islands outside the grid. Hexagon will get close to the outer edge.

Try changing the Projection Axis (X,Y,Z) and the Pinning (U,V)  You'll get different results