GENERAL FREEBIE REQUESTS Part 2

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Ariaso said:

Anyone know of a decent building or skyscraper top prop?  Thanks. :)

If you are up to using Blender to export a few things, there are these...

http://www.blendswap.com/blends/user/91162

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited June 2016

Both of those are amazing.  Thanks! :)

I never knew about Blend Swap, I mostly keep Blender around for importing and finalizing / exporting objects from other formats.  That'll be useful in the future. :)

Post edited by AeonicB on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,638
    edited June 2016
    Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited June 2016

@Ariso, I found some really good free buildings here (quality is amazing): https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/architectural-exterior/cityscape/building-set-a :)

...pretty nice sets. They'd blend in well with the Stonmason and Predatron ones I have.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070

I downloaded this one too a few days ago, but I can't seem to import it into DAZ with the textures (even though they're in the folder) :/. Were you able to export it with the textures?

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656
    edited June 2016

So the mtl files points to this  F:\[CAT]_Arch\[SubCAT]_Cities\NYC_Blocks\NYC Set 8 - 1 Block\NYC_Set_8_Max_SC\textures. You need to use a text editor and open the NYC_Set_8.mtl file and change the path directory to point where you have the texture files. assuming you are using the obj.

Post edited by DollyGirl on
    DollyGirl said:

So the mtl files points to this  F:\[CAT]_Arch\[SubCAT]_Cities\NYC_Blocks\NYC Set 8 - 1 Block\NYC_Set_8_Max_SC\textures. You need to use a text editor and open the NYC_Set_8.mtl file and change the path directory to point where you have the texture files. assuming you are using the obj.

I tried that, but still it doesn't read the textures, for some reason (yup, using the obj file).

Sometimes it helps if the textures are in the same folder as the obj and mtl files

The least problematic way to deal with ones that don't want to automatically load is to drop the image maps in a Studio folder (/Runtime/Textures/Yourname/whateveritis) and then manually load them in the Surfaces tab.  By the time you get done editing/moving/redoing it several times, you could have them loaded.

edited June 2016

mjc1016: Maybe you can shed some light on what is happening.

I put all the textures in the same folder as the obj and mtl and then tried to import it into DAZ Studio. But it was invisible and the only way you could tell it was there was by mouseover for surfaces.

Next I imported it into Blender and exported it as an obj with a new name.. Opening the new obj (from Blender) in DAZ Studio then showed up and had the textures applied.

Maybe the original has inverted normals or something ???

mjc1016 said:

The least problematic way to deal with ones that don't want to automatically load is to drop the image maps in a Studio folder (/Runtime/Textures/Yourname/whateveritis) and then manually load them in the Surfaces tab.  By the time you get done editing/moving/redoing it several times, you could have them loaded.

...then save it as a preset.

Stduio is rather particular when reading mtl files.  If they aren't 'perfect' it will pretty much ignore what is in it.  Blender is somewhat better at figuring out what/where things are supposed to be, so it will often load image maps when Studio can't find them.  Also, it allows things like alpha channels on image maps to be correctly used for transparency and other settings that may cause Studio to choke.  Saving it out will rewrite the mtl with the current locations and more 'generic' settings...which Studio finds easier to deal with.

Often, if the item loads into Studio and only shows when mousing over it, there's something off with the Opacity...usually a value of 0%/map inserted where it shouldn't be. 

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

In my notes for exporting from Bryce and importing into DAZ Studio, I have a comment that there cannot be spaces in the filename or it won't work.  Not sure if that applies here, but worth a 2-second check just in case.

edited June 2016
    mjc1016 said:

Stduio is rather particular when reading mtl files.  If they aren't 'perfect' it will pretty much ignore what is in it.  Blender is somewhat better at figuring out what/where things are supposed to be, so it will often load image maps when Studio can't find them.  Also, it allows things like alpha channels on image maps to be correctly used for transparency and other settings that may cause Studio to choke.  Saving it out will rewrite the mtl with the current locations and more 'generic' settings...which Studio finds easier to deal with.

Often, if the item loads into Studio and only shows when mousing over it, there's something off with the Opacity...usually a value of 0%/map inserted where it shouldn't be.

Here is a quick render in DAZ Studio (Iray) with the materials applied by importing to Blender and exporting. (There are a lot of textures to apply if done manually.)

@mjc1016: Now I feel really stupid -- I didn't think to check the opacity which was set at zero in the original.

NYC.jpg
    1314 x 763 - 825K
    edited June 2016

Just a Carrara user, but they import with textures just fine over FBX.  Just have to tone down my preview, because it's dang high fidelity. :)

Post edited by AeonicB on
    edited June 2016

For those of you that want to import into DAZ Studio and do not want to mess trying to apply the textures by hand. This is what I did to get the textures to load:

I opened up the .mtl file and did a find and replace

Find: F:\[CAT]_Arch\[SubCAT]_Cities\NYC_Blocks\NYC Set 8 - 1 Block\NYC_Set_8_Max_SC\textures\

Replace: /textures/

This assumes that you just dropped the texture directory in the same directory as the object is located.

I chose 3DS MAX as the import option and then I checked marked Invert Positive Direction for the X, Y and Z. If you don't check these boxes then all the textures come in backwards. Not so important for certain things but all of the signs will need a mirror to be read.

Once the model was loaded I selected all of the surfaces of the obj and scrolled to the opacity slider and made everything 100%. I then went to the Parameter tab and put 90 in the X rotation and 11615.63 in the Y transition. Since the model is so big I did change the nudge on the translation sliders to 10 to make it easier to get the model in position so a character would be standing on the streets. Image is a 3Delight with Uber lighting.

Note: If you want the obj to come in visible then do a find and replace for:

Find: Tr 0.0000

Replace: Tr 100.0000

test.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    edited June 2016

...don't have 3DS and cannot get my head around Blender's clunky UI.

It's too bad there isn't an bridge from Carrara.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

...don't have 3DS and cannot get my head around Blender's clunky UI.

It's too bad there isn't an bridge from Carrara.

Not directly, no.  But you can always export it out as a Colladae file for DAZ Studio, or FBX, and have it repackage all the textures.

DollyGirl said:

For those of you that want to import into DAZ Studio and do not want to mess trying to apply the textures by hand. This is what I did to get the textures to load:

I opened up the .mtl file and did a find and replace

Find: F:\[CAT]_Arch\[SubCAT]_Cities\NYC_Blocks\NYC Set 8 - 1 Block\NYC_Set_8_Max_SC\textures\

Replace: /textures/

This assumes that you just dropped the texture directory in the same directory as the object is located.

I chose 3DS MAX as the import option and then I checked marked Invert Positive Direction for the X, Y and Z. If you don't check these boxes then all the textures come in backwards. Not so important for certain things but all of the signs will need a mirror to be read.

Once the model was loaded I selected all of the surfaces of the obj and scrolled to the opacity slider and made everything 100%. I then went to the Parameter tab and put 90 in the X rotation and 11615.63 in the Y transition. Since the model is so big I did change the nudge on the translation sliders to 10 to make it easier to get the model in position that a character would be standing on the streets. Image is a 3Delight with Uber lighting.

Note: If you want the obj to come in visible then do a find and replace for:

Find: Tr 0.0000

Replace: Tr 100.0000

This worked! I love you! I have been trying to figure out how to add the textures to this for days.yes

Your welcome giselle3000. Glad I could help

edited June 2016
    dakkuuan said:

Anyone know where I can find a dress/robe similar to Lulu's from Final Fantasy 10?  I don't mean something as complex, obviously, but I mean something that drapes the way this does.  I don't care about the fur on it or the belts, just the general look.  It doesn't really need to be free either, but that would help.  If it drapes low like it does on Lulu here, I'll likely need it for Genesis 2 Female, but if not, it can be for V4, A3, Genesis 1-3.  Any ideas?  Also, if someone knows of a Lulu cosplay outfit, that won't work.  I'm not actually trying to create her, just something that gives off a similar effect.  The most important part to me is the top of the outfit.

So I was doing some work on the PoserDAZ Freebie site and I came across this robe that might work for you. I did a quick and dirty transmap to see how the robe would look. I think with some additional work you could make what you want. Not sure that you are interested in that kind of thing but I thought I would bring it up.

Robe is here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/34344/

transmap that I used is attached. UVMap is in the textures directory.

Jan19_Wayii_RoyalRed.jpg
    500 x 647 - 168K
    RoyalRobeUVMap10.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 197K
  • dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305
    Thank you dolly, will have to give it a look, although it's length might make it difficult to use for G2f. Long items like that tend to curl up at the bottom no matter how you fit it. I figure something out =)
    dakkuuan said:
    Thank you dolly, will have to give it a look, although it's length might make it difficult to use for G2f. Long items like that tend to curl up at the bottom no matter how you fit it. I figure something out =)

I think I would try to transfer the Morphing Fantasy Dress bones to the robe and see how that works. Just a thought though.

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305
    edited June 2016

Oh crap, non-commercial use only... I'm making a game...so I guess that won't work. EDIT: the read me contradicts the the usage rights on the sharecg, it's all good.

Post edited by dakkuuan on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Has anybody seen an opened tuna can with the lid peeled back but still attached, empty?

(It doesn't specifically have to be tuna or have any label, just the flatter tuna-style tin can.)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    sriesch said:

Has anybody seen an opened tuna can with the lid peeled back but still attached, empty?

(It doesn't specifically have to be tuna or have any label, just the flatter tuna-style tin can.)

http://www.sharecg.com/v/31413/

http://www.sharecg.com/v/59708/browse/5/3D-Model/Sardines-in-a-can-Open-and-Closed

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,308

Any roller shutters around, as found at store windows, etc?

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Does anyone know where I can find free skin bases so i can make some new skins for my G123MnF?

Does anyone know where I can find free skin bases so i can make some new skins for my G123MnF?

If you are looking for the skin templates you can find them for Genesis 2 and Genesis 3 by finding the starter essentials for them in your product library and clicking on it to display the downloads.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

If you are looking for the skin templates you can find them for Genesis 2 and Genesis 3 by finding the starter essentials for them in your product library and clicking on it to display the downloads.

ok ty so much for responding so quickly :D

This discussion has been closed.