Hexagon crashes when adding Support Loops?

thelizardfolkthelizardfolk Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hey guys. I'm having an issue with Hexagon that I was hoping could be fixed. The program crashes whenever I add a support loop freely and I've looked around and given a few suggestions for other crash issues a try (like resetting preferences) and nothing is working. Can someone please help me?

I'm on Windows 8, running 64bit, I have a 2GB video card with a i7 processor and 12 GB of Ram.

I run Maya and DAZ Studio just fine so I don't think it's my computer.

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

It is likely your video card driver that is the problem.

If you have the latest driver, you may still have some issues. Do a search here on the Hex forum as there are some tweaks in the video card preferences that may help. I guess it would be a good idea to have a stickied thread with all these tips consolidated because they area spread out right now in many different threads.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited October 2013

What's a "support loop"?

If you try to extract or somehow add a line ... and anywhere on the model there is a 'unwelded face normal' ... Hexagon will crash.
    Sometimes If one even touches a face normal under these circumstances Hexagon will crash.

Solution is to either find and weld the misbehaving face normals OR go back in the saved project list to one that doesn't crash and carry on from that point again.

It is a popular habit, more so in some projects than others, for Hexagon to unweld lines as one works.
    Adding free tessellation is a good way to get some.
    Something with smoothing sometimes does.
    And every now and then just for the hay of it ...

Aside from making frequent incremental savings; and checking every now and then BEFORE "welding", before extracting certain lines, before adding test or serious smoothing levels, one can click the 'close holes' button TO SEE if there are any unwelded areas but do NOT use the button to close them. It won't happen. Abort the action and weld them manually. Incre save and carry on.

Hope this helps.

not a video card issue that I'm aware of at all.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • thelizardfolkthelizardfolk Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

Thanks for the response guys. Also I've got my Maya and Hexagon terms mixed up lol

What this guy does. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YitxFzKE3K0&desktop;_uri=/watch?v=YitxFzKE3K0

So any time i add a support edge freely it crashes :(

Post edited by thelizardfolk on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

If you try to extract or somehow add a line ... and anywhere on the model there is a 'unwelded face normal' ... Hexagon will crash.
    Sometimes If one even touches a face normal under these circumstances Hexagon will crash.

Solution is to either find and weld the misbehaving face normals OR go back in the saved project list to one that doesn't crash and carry on from that point again.

Aside from making frequent incremental savings; and checking every now and then BEFORE "welding", before extracting certain lines, before adding test or serious smoothing levels, one can click the 'close holes' button TO SEE if there are any unwelded areas but do NOT use the button to close them. It won't happen. Abort the action and weld them manually. Incre save and carry on.

That good to know. I have run into this before, but I did not recall that Hex crashed every time. I thought there were occasions when there would be an error message to let you know you have requested something that cannot be performed.

edited December 1969

cdordoni said:

That good to know. I have run into this before, but I did not recall that Hex crashed every time. I thought there were occasions when there would be an error message to let you know you have requested something that cannot be performed.

Oh not "every time", more like "any time" it unwelds the crashes are more likely ... one project I was working on, it was repeatable too. Had a mix of face normal extractions and tessellations, etc ... so much for that ship!

Error messages were the previous edition. This one normally just crashes. However, as one learns what makes it crash and stops doing that, it crashes less. So far though, I have found it impossible to do any large project work with, and I go back to the previous edition which on the computer where it resides, it is more stable.

edited October 2013

Thanks for the response guys. Also I've got my Maya and Hexagon terms mixed up lol

What this guy does. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YitxFzKE3K0&desktop;_uri=/watch?v=YitxFzKE3K0

So any time i add a support edge freely it crashes :(

Okay, haven't time to watch it all right now but this I noticed ... "remove the smoothing" BEFORE adding the extra tessellation. Check for holes, either fix or carry on. With any level of smoothing on, it may or not permit an action but on the whole is asking for a crash [at least on my computer it is].

Post edited by patience55 on
  • thelizardfolkthelizardfolk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ok thanks for the responses guys. I'll trouble shoot.