Hexagon New version?

DkinDkin Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi,

Is there any update or planning for a new version?

Cheers

Comments

• Kevin RyeKevin Rye Posts: 392
    edited October 2013

I asked that a few weeks ago in another post. It seemed to be the general consensus, despite being a featured product on DAZ's Products page, that it's a dead product.

They also seemed to have left their OS X users out in the cold with a serious lack up updates. Not being a Universal Binary means that they are several OSes back. Not to mention OS X 10.9 is coming out in less than a month! The store page has this in the Additional Information tab: MAC USERS: Hexagon 2.5 is not universal binary and may have some stability issues on the Intel Mac. " Seriously? Intel Macs have been around since 2006!!! I've seen some users say that it just plane out doesn't work on 10.8.

I really want to start making my own stuff. It's only $12 bucks right now, but I used my 40% off coupon code and got it for $7.18. It probably wont work on my Mac, but at least I have it. For such a low price it seems like a steal when the likes of ZBrush are $600-$700 bucks. Maybe one day they'll tweak it or offer an upgrade to a newer version. I'd hate to miss out on upgrade pricing because I didn't spend a lousy $7 bucks on version 2.5!

I'll try it tonight when I get home from work and see if it works. (Fingers crossed!)

Post edited by Kevin Rye on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

People may be speculating on whether or not Hex is dea, but the only people who can tell you that definitely are DAZ 3D.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited December 1969

I use Hexagon 2.5 on an Intel Mac (a Mac Mini) and don't have too many stability issues with it. Of course I don't try to to anything too crazy in Hexagon either.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    People may be speculating on whether or not Hex is dea, but the only people who can tell you that definitely are DAZ 3D.

A few weeks ago I wrote a support ticket to DAZ, asking the same question about an update for Hexagon. The DAZ guys answered me that there are no updates planned in the near future.

Sad but true. Hexagon is a really nice and easy to learn modeler with lots of options. Unfortunately the current version is still buggy and unstable in some situations.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

I use Hexagon 2.5 on an Intel Mac (a Mac Mini) and don't have too many stability issues with it. Of course I don't try to to anything too crazy in Hexagon either.

I could not get Hex stable on any of my 10.6.x macs, not my core2's not my dual xeons.I tried Hex because the interface didn't scare me but it was like playing dodge ball in a minefield. Out of frustration decided to bite the bullet when Blender 2.6 came out and it's been rock solid and the one bug report I filed was answered and fixed within 12 hours with a build for me to test out, they post them nightly.

• edited December 1969

I run Hexagon on my Mac under Mountain Lion (OSX10.8) and have no problems with it. It's much more stable now than it used to be on earlier Macs I owned and I use it all the time.

• Kevin RyeKevin Rye Posts: 392
    edited December 1969

I have no idea what I'm doing yet, but I can say that at least it installs and launches on OS X 10.8.4. Seems like $8 bucks well spent.

Hexagon2.5_.png
    1280 x 682 - 535K