Why modeling on the Genesis base figure only?

XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello!

I have read here that it is strongly recommended to model clothes only on the Genesis base figure (female base is ok) and rig them on it.

Why?

Working with the base figure is so... boring. It would be much more interesting and fun to model clothes around, let´s say Victoria5! V5 is much better shaped and looks much better.
So why can´t I model clothes on the V5 figure? Which problems are to expect? Does rigging not work?

I am modeling just a short time now, but I am already bored by the Genesis base figure. It is so much uninspiring.

Any comments or suggestions please. Thank you!

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The whole point of Genesis, is that one size fits all (or nearly), it greatly simplifies both the modelling, and the number of figures it can be used on.

Make your clothing item for Genesis (base), and it will fit any of the Genesis morphs (within reason). You can model the clothing round a morphed figure, but there is another step when you rig it, reverse deformations from Figure (or something like that, can't remember for now). I don't know if the clothing item created on a Genesis morph will still fit all other Genesis morphs though.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Well, I have tried it without success.

I modeled a very simple shirt on a V5 figure with another morph (I think it was 5% Pearl Figure or something like that).
    After importing it to DAZ the shirt looked good, but ended up in a whole mess after rigging. As source I used Genesis - Current and as target my shirt. Of course I also checked that reverse deformation thing. But the shirt then was just a ugly clump of mesh on her. Too bad that it does not work.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited October 2013

The reason is to avoid a double morph existing in the clothing, which is probably the issue you're running in to. Lets say you model your clothing around V5. If you bring it into DS, fit it to Genesis, and then dial in V5, you'll essentially get 2 instances of V5's morph in the clothing due to auto-follow causing it to look badly.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited October 2013

Extending what Vaskania said, the idea is to model using a Genesis base mesh, import and rig to Genesis, then test with other morphs. Any morphs that are less then desirable can then be fixed by exporting, adjusting, importing as morph option for that Genesis morph with it's own slider (M5, V5, Freak... for instance.) I hope this makes sense.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your answers!

I think I understand the problem with all that fitting and morphing. But would it work if I export a V5 figure to Hexagon, model some clothes around it, and back in DAZ Studio I rig the clothes to this V5 figure (and not Genesis base). Would it work that way? Or can I really only use the base figure for modeling?

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

XoechZ said:
    Thanks for your answers!

I think I understand the problem with all that fitting and morphing. But would it work if I export a V5 figure to Hexagon, model some clothes around it, and back in DAZ Studio I rig the clothes to this V5 figure (and not Genesis base). Would it work that way? Or can I really only use the base figure for modeling?

Hi.
    V5 isn't a figure, she is only a morph of Genesis, Genesis is the figure.
    Exporting to Hexagon and modelling over V5 would still be modelling around a morph so you would still get the exploding clothing.

The clothing item has to be rigged to Genesis to work correctly and not V5.

Hellboy Soto has a very detailed list of the main steps to take to make items for genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14421/
    Section A and E explain the steps you are trying to achieve

As has been said previously the procedure can be done slightly in reverse but you would still need clothing that fits and is rigged to the Genesis figure

edited December 1969

Thanks adzan!

Yes, I know the steps of importing and rigging. I have done that several times.

As I mentioned above, it is just boring for me to model around the Genesis base figure. And sometimes difficult. For some time now, I try to model a tight corset type of top. One that has a deep cleavage and is really tight, so that it pushes the breasts together quite a bit. Hm, almost impossible for me to form that on the Genesis base figure, as you can only guess how it might look like when it´s brought to shape. Especially the cleavage area is very sensible if you want something to look realistic. Hope you know what I mean :-)

How do you handle that? Is it just practise and some imagination?

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Here is a brief explanation on how to do it.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/modeling/tutorials/creating_clothing_against_genesis_morph_shape/start

Bobbie25 used to have a video on YouTube, explaining this, but it seems to be gone now.

Important : When exporting out the V5 shape from DS,
    Dial in the V5 morph
    Then reset the scaling under the parameter tab back to 100%
    Otherwise you will get dobbelscaling of the clothing.
    The base size and shape of the clothing will always be the default genesis size and shape. When dialing in a shape as V5,
    the clothing will automaticaly resize with the shape.
    The originale clothing you create in the V5 shape will be the V5shape-morph in the clothing
    Then export out the V5 mannequin for modelling.

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Thanks Varsel I also tried to find Bobbie25s video to add to the thread as well but the link I have doesn't work.

XoechZ - I often work in reverse as described above but I create clothing for the M5 and then create the morph to Genesis that I use for rigging to Genesis.
    It's not always practical and doesn't always end well, so I learnt to do it either way.
    You'll save yourself a whole heap of headache and time by only using one morph at a time to model around though.

edited December 1969

Thank you so much guys!

So it is possible :-) Yes, maybe a bit more work to do and I will see if it´s worth the effort. I will try it soon. Thanks!

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

That smooshed boobs/pushup corset look would also require a custom *squish* morph for Genesis also. Shifting Images did this with Blood Queen so the body would be able to fit into the corset specifically. Here's a before/after of what it does on it's own. It doesn't actually have it's own shape, just lifts and squeezes the existing shape.

SI_corsetfit.png
    1188 x 816 - 299K