Mark IX Hawk for Poser is up.

The Mark IX Hawk from the Space 1999 episode 'War Games" is up for download.

Get it here; https://www.deviantart.com/greywolf-starkiller/art/Mark-IX-Hawk-OBJ-Version-787196440

Poser Hawk 4.png
1280 x 800 - 610K

Comments

• An excellent mesh, thanks!

Problem is, the mesh is all I can import into D|S. There's something odd about the .obj files, they aren't picking up the .mtl files at all. And all the texture pointers in the .mtl are absolute paths, linking to your WIP folder on your computer.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Excellent work! Thank you!

(Some assembly required smiley)

• I expected that. It's why I leave D/S conversions to those experienced with D/S. IIn Poser, I aimed the texture path in the Material room at the "Textures" folder in the Runtime.

D/S should use the Poser settings. I wonder if deleting the mtl files might fix the problem. If you look at other OBJ files in the Geometries folder, few if any, have mtl files. I think

the are more for OBJs colored by materials and not as important with textures. Still, I use D/S more than Poser, but still can't manage converting my models to it. When I first tested

the mesh, before UVmapping her, I imported the full ship into Poser 7 and she came in with all materials set correctly, but importing into D/S resulted in no materials set at all. D/S must

read it differently from Poser, and I haven't figured it out yet. :(

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited February 2019
    D/S should use the Poser settings. I wonder if deleting the mtl files might fix the problem. If you look at other OBJ files in the Geometries folder, few if any, have mtl files

That's because the settings in the .mtl files are — for Poser props and figures — in the .cr2 or .pp2 Library file, so the .mtl isn't really necessary.

I decided to forget about the .mtl files and just manually apply the colours and textures listed once I've got the .obj imported cleanly. Here's my first rough try, all I did was apply a plain white plastic Iray shader, then add the texture map to all surfaces (except Window, where I applied a plain glass shader).

Looks pretty good, I think. I'll add the other sections later, as I have time. Maybe I'll try a base metal shader instead of plastic, see how that comes out.

Hawk-cm-01.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 71K
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Sweet model.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited February 2019

Just found an actual hiccup in the materials. The Booster Engines .obj doesn't have a .mtl file, and the .mtl for the Central Section has all materials light grey with no named texture file.

Ah well, it all works — got all the bits converted to .duf, applied all the textures, and did a quick test render. I think I like it.

Hawk-mk9.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 77K
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • Great! I'm working on a DS version as well, for others to DL. Please check the commons as I requested some help with which files I

need in the ZIP. Excellent job! ^_-

Eric

aka Starkiller

• Heh — I just realised the missile launch tubes are angled outwards. An easy solution to the embarassing problem of shooting at the bad-guy-of-the-week and blowing up your own Command Module...  

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593
    edited March 2019

I've always had a soft spot for the "Altares", the "photon drive" ship from the one shot (hoped for "backdoor pilot") special titled "The Day After Tomorrow: Into Infinity".  It was one of those "afternoon specials" (or whatever NBC called its version) intended to introduce kids to the concepts of general relativity.  It was filmed between the first and second seasons of "Space: 1999" involving the production team from the series.  Nick Tate starred as the pilot of the craft, who along with his teenage daughter and a husband, wife and son team made up the crew.  I'm sure StarKiller knows about it, but for those who never caught it, think of it as Gerry Anderson's answer to "Lost in Space"...without a brew vat shaped robot or a simpering sabatuer.  Brian Blessed played the husband and father of the other family, into a surprising understated fashion.  No booming "Gordon's ALIVE?!" type performances here.

I saw that special before I did the bulk of "1999" (it didn't air where I lived at the time) and was amazed by the miniature work which would not be rivaled until a certain lil space war flick debuted roughly 2 years later.

StarKiller, if you ever get the urge to model that baby, keep me in the loop!

Sincerely,

Bill

Post edited by Redfern on
  • Hmmm. I watched Space 1999 regularly, but somehow I missed this. Going to Google to check it out. In case I don't find much, please point me in the

right direction when I'm back online. :)

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

Heh, heh...  Prepare for "info dump"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After_Tomorrow_(TV_special)

https://www.google.com/search?q=day+after+tomorrow+into+infinity&tbm=isch&source=hp&safe=active&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjpouTqwuHgAhUSVa0KHY_4AKQQiR56BAgDEBM&biw=1102&bih=580

http://catacombs.space1999.net/plus/dt/day0.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=lightship+altares&tbm=isch&source=hp&safe=active&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7x-_cw-HgAhVEPawKHfE6CvAQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1102&bih=580

After I composed my original inquiry, I wondered if you might respond, "Why the synopsis?  I know about that one."  So I'm now kinda' surprised.  Anyway, these links should be a good starting point.

Before comparative photos were available, a lot of Gerry Anderson fans thought the Altares was simply a redress of the Meta-Probe or Ultra-Probe miniatures.  Certain similar elements are present, true, but can readily see the profiles don't match.  Now, it is possible individual pieces might have been reused (though I can't be certain) but the overall "frames" are all distinctively different.

Sincerely,

Bill