Software To Track/Manage 3D Content with Visual Catalogs (Content-Cataloger-PRO LITE Edition)

RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 344
edited February 2015 in Freebies

{removed by author}

Post edited by RoLoW on

Comments

• RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 344
    edited February 2015

{removed by author}

Post edited by RoLoW on
    edited February 2015

{removed by author}

Post edited by RoLoW on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,115
    edited December 1969

What is the difference between this one and the one in the Daz Store?

edited December 1969

The LITE version will only create a web-based catalog up to 2 rows (about 8 - 10 entries depending on style selected).

The LITE version is useful for very small content collections or handy to create a catalog for individual content items.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,115
    edited December 1969

rolow said:
    The LITE version will only create a web-based catalog up to 2 rows (about 8 - 10 entries depending on style selected).

The LITE version is useful for very small content collections or handy to create a catalog for individual content items.

Thank you. So the full version can handle more content

edited August 2014

That is correct.

Content-Cataloger v2 will suffice for most users, but PRO v3 offers several more layouts supporting larger collections and digital photography.

-------------------------------------------
    SPECIAL NOTE:
    Catalogs generated are HTML-based Imagery Indexes and subject to the limitations
    of the Web Browser used for viewing them and your available system resources.
    -------------------------------------------

Post edited by RoLoW on
  • GriffonbaitGriffonbait Posts: 9
    edited July 2014

I have the Content Cataloger Pro 3.02 version and I have Win7 x64. The program appears to run fine, however, it crashes (Exception Error) at the end of the Create Catalog process. I am not sure if the problem is Win 7 or if it is because I am trying to catalog all my DAZ library at once. The product blurb states that it can handle huge collections, but I read in the manual that it can only handle up to a measly 5000 items. I don't know about most users, but 5000 is not huge. 500,000 maybe, but even that can pale beside a graphics library.

My intention upon purchasing the product was to catalog my entire installed library ordered by folder, using it as a means to browse and remind me of what I have installed via the images generated. It looks like it is mostly designed for cataloging individual products rather than large collections, or for say, cataloging a specific author's folder of works. This does not help me at all because I then have to sit down for hours and create individual collections, which defeats the purpose of general browsing.

Anyone have any ideas on how best to use this product?

Edit:

I have successfully used the program, and it does work fine for a small number of images but it is suffering from some expected usability features. I suppose this has become a request for future updates.

1. When selecting the library location to be cataloged, it would be nice if it simply goes to the last location used.
    2. Allow multiple folder selections.
    3. Much needed - Automatically create a subfolder for the images when generating.
    4. The best usability feature - Allow the selection of the Library's root folder and upon catalog creation, automatically create subfolders based on the names of the folders in the library, and store each html file and its images in there. Then create a master index html file listing all the subfolders for the next level down.
    5. An awesome feature - Download and include the images from the DAZ site for the specific product images presented when making a purchase.

Cheers

Post edited by Griffonbait on
    edited August 2014

Thank you for the feedback. All of your inputs will be given consideration.

Post edited by RoLoW on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

Have any of these issues been addressed? I am considering buying this product, but folks don't seem too happy with it for larger collections.

I seriously need some help with tracking all my Daz stuff...

edited December 1969

Unfortunately, most of the problems stem from the desire to capture a catalog with every promo image for a product in huge collections that modern browsers simply cannot reasonably handle. If that is what you desire, then I would suggest searching for another app which does not use HTML-based output. Sorry...

edited September 2014

I don't suppose you've considered allowing output as a .PDF?

Edit: Well, or Access database or something?

Edit #2: And is the PRO version able to handle a DAZ collection that DIM lists as ~2200 installed? (I think the Pro Lite said it was finding 125,000 entries. I'm guessing that's the total number of files in My Library.)

Post edited by firewarden on
    edited September 2014

I don't suppose you've considered allowing output as a .PDF?
    Edit: Well, or Access database or something?

The BAD News :-(
    The demand for PDF output coupled with sells volume has not warranted including those output options.

The GOOD News ;-)
    There are many freely available software products for PDF output of almost anything you can print such as
    PDF995 and more. For professional grade output you can also buy or subscribe to services like Adobe.

Just search the internet with your favorite browser and search engine for Free PDF Writer or similar...

Post edited by RoLoW on
    edited September 2014

Edit #2: And is the PRO version able to handle a DAZ collection that DIM lists as ~2200 installed? (I think the Pro Lite said it was finding 125,000 entries. I'm guessing that's the total number of files in My Library.)

The number reported by DIM is the number of actual products installed (2,200).

C-C/Pro is built around an image-based search engine and will find all images in the folder/directory hierarchy specified.

Depending on your search criteria, the images that can be found in your My Library may include all the thumbnails for the Content tabs.

Post edited by RoLoW on
    edited December 1969

I was actually thinking of the .PDF option as something that could replace the HTML output, as you said that was limiting the size of the collection that could be processed. I can't print to a PDF - and, yes, I already have multiple products that do that - if I can't open the catalog to begin with. And if I could open the HTML version, I wouldn't need the PDF.

I took the plunge and bought this. So far, it's not usable, but I'm wondering if I need to change some settings... It crashes IE and Firefox while opening the resulting catalog. I guess there are just too many images and items to load. I have a pretty hefty machine, so I'm a bit surprised, but I guess if it's saying it's trying to load 125,000 images in one web page, that's a problem.

What filetypes do you recommend including? Right now, I have specified All.

I think this product would be an incredible help if it worked, which is why I gambled and purchased the full PRO version last night.

edited September 2014

Doh! Good point on the lack of needing PDF if you could open the HTML to print.

C-C was not originally intended for catalogs containing thousands of images even though by design it may process those extremely large collections. It was originally designed to be of most use to those content collectors who download the main product image and all the promos to store with their downloaded product files. Unfortunately, I do not believe that a PDF with that many images would be reasonably sized but I have not tested that theory.

As for suggested file type to search, that would all depend on what you are cataloging and how you organize your own content. If you download the promo images from DAZ which are usually jpeg's and store them separately from My Library, then I would suggest "JPG".

However, I just performed a Windows search of My DAZ 3D Library for "PNG" and have 65,916 results which are primarily the thumbnail images used in the Content tabs of DAZ Studio. My search for "JPG" had 44,744 results which were mostly texture and material files.

We are sorry to hear that C-C is not working for you, and by all means please feel free to ask for a refund if the product does not perform as expected.

There are no immediate plans for major updates to C-C, but thanks for the feedback and suggestion on PDF output if we ever go that direction.

Post edited by RoLoW on
    edited September 2014

Thanks for the reply. I shall probably play with it a bit more and see if I can somehow lessen the number of files. Probably hopeless tho, but worth mucking about with just to see.

I won't return it in the hopes that some day you update it to fit more what I'm looking for. :)

Post edited by firewarden on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your understanding, and if we do update to your desires, you will be one of the first to know...

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Sounds good, I will give it a try, I think.