Some amazingly good texture packs- no rules usage (not mine)

Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
edited January 2014 in Freebies

I recently ran across these texture packs at Deviantart. They're no rules usage and are absolutely stunning (imo), and rather large in dimensions. I figure'd they'd be great for render backgrounds and such.

http://sirius-sdz.deviantart.com
The few that say 'Premium' you buy for whatever Deviantart's internal currency is, but the rest are completely free. Some include bonus textures for a small fee (again DA's currency).

Here's the link for their account housing their unmodified textures (straight out of the cam), also no-restrictions usage.
http://www.ooc-sdz.deviantart.com/

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on

Comments

• Cake OneCake One Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

Thanks
    and you are right, they look amazing!
    C.

• edited December 1969

Stunning work. Thanks for telling us.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Nice collections. Thanks for the links.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I recently ran across these texture packs at Deviantart. They're no rules usage and are absolutely stunning (imo), and rather large in dimensions. I figure'd they'd be great for render backgrounds and such.

http://sirius-sdz.deviantart.com
    The few that say 'Premium' you buy for whatever Deviantart's internal currency is, but the rest are completely free. Some include bonus textures for a small fee (again DA's currency).

Here's the link for their account housing their unmodified textures (straight out of the cam), also no-restrictions usage.
    http://www.ooc-sdz.deviantart.com/

Thanks, Vaskania. :)

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

Wow - very inspiring and gorgeous textures. Thanks for the link.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2014

Beware the sneaky ads that (may) appear on those pages, with prominent green 'Download' buttons on them.

Those will not download the texture packs, but instead some unrelated software that will do who-knows-what to your system.

Look instead for a button in the same pale green color as the DeviantArt background, with 'Zip download' written on it, usually appearing just under the ad panel on the top right of the page.

Update: the software with the deceptive Download button is something called Genieo, which is adware, and you do not want it anywhere near your computer. If you do download it by mistake, just delete the installer.

Post edited by bytescapes on
  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

I am lucky enough to know Sirius, the deviant is a wonderful artist. The premium content can be bought with DA points you can either buy straightaway or earn while doing some assigned tasks. What I want to warn you about is that you must hit "Download" button (just below "Fave" button, upper right corner) rather soon, because DA has recently undergone some technical changes and now the galleries don't refresh continuously. So if you hit the button after fifteen minutes, let's say, you will NOT download it, but be redirected onto the same page instead, so you will have to hit the button again. This time the download will appear.

Angusm, I don't know what advertisments you're referring to, but no, there should be no big download buttons. I would suggest getting yourself AdBlock. All DA downloads are direct links, so the zip immediately shows up when you hit the proper button. Happy photomanipulating ;).

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited January 2014

^Is that a bug in the code, or something intentional?

I use Adblock as well on that site ever since they restructured it ( I still miss the days of Jark =/ ).

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited December 1969

Angusm, I don't know what advertisments you're referring to, but no, there should be no big download buttons.

There's an ad panel in the top right hand corner that will be filled with an ad based on whatever the Google Ads network knows about you.

About half the time I get an ad for DAZ (apparently someone's put some cookies together, and now Google Ads know that I'm a DAZ customer). The other half of the time I get an ad that consists of a giant green Download button; clicking that bounces you to a page on a website belonging to an adware company called Genieo (that link points to Wikipedia's page about them, if you want to know more).

This is something I've seen quite a lot recently: adware and spyware makers buying ad space on sites that have downloads and putting in ads with very prominent buttons marked 'Download' in the hope of tricking visitors into downloading the wrong thing. It's an ugly tactic, and you can pick up some very nasty stuff that way.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Thanks Vaskania for the great link. What an amazing set of textures.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

angusm said:
    Angusm, I don't know what advertisments you're referring to, but no, there should be no big download buttons.

There's an ad panel in the top right hand corner that will be filled with an ad based on whatever the Google Ads network knows about you.

About half the time I get an ad for DAZ (apparently someone's put some cookies together, and now Google Ads know that I'm a DAZ customer). The other half of the time I get an ad that consists of a giant green Download button; clicking that bounces you to a page on a website belonging to an adware company called Genieo (that link points to Wikipedia's page about them, if you want to know more).

This is something I've seen quite a lot recently: adware and spyware makers buying ad space on sites that have downloads and putting in ads with very prominent buttons marked 'Download' in the hope of tricking visitors into downloading the wrong thing. It's an ugly tactic, and you can pick up some very nasty stuff that way.

Never use a big bad download button that pokes you in the eye, never-ever :). It can install a lot of mess. There is a general problem with 3D that you have to be careful with sites offering 3D models, Norton apparently doesn't like A3 and keeps "warning" me about the fact the installer hasn't been listed on their safe software list. Poor Aiko, it seems that the majority of Norton users don't know your values :P...