Retired

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

nice

• Thanks Catherine. Really useful yesyesyes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

heart thankyou

• Wow! Thank you. I have been looking for something just like these! They will be very help to this newbie

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

i have a question:how can you possibly have 1325 AND additionally 1091 different nuances of pink-brownish skintones? i just DL the smallest zip to see what this was about..

and why "painted"? isn't it just one single color on the whole square?

also, can i just use one square as a skin texture as is? but maps have details usually.. sorry for the dumb questions, i'm trying to figure out how this could be of use to me, but i have never created any figure texture from scratch.. ^^

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited January 2020

To answer your first question, the same way that there can be billions of human beings on the planet with no two being identical? People come in all shapes and sizes, and all different skin tones. And yes, there is a lot of variation, even on individuals (contrary to the air-brushed uniformity of many available 3D character textures).

The term "painted" was used by Catherine, if I may be presumptuous, to differentiate between textures that were created in a paint or image-editing program as opposed to being based upon photographs.

Can you use a square as-is to create a skin material? Well, you could, and you might if you wanted a completely uniform material without details, such as you might for toons. Or you could, as you suggest, use them as a base for creating texture maps from scratch, where you would probably want to add layers to the image to add details and variation, along with bump/displacement/normal maps, specular maps, etc. as required.

They could also be used by anyone wishing to do digital painting, using them with a colour picker or even creating palettes from them.

No disrespect, but its one of those things where, if you need to ask, you probably don't need them. On the other hand, they might come in handy one day.

In any event, need them or not, thanks to Catherine for taking the time and making the effort.

Post edited by SixDs on
    SixDs said:

To answer your first question, the same way that there can be billions of human beings on the planet with no two being identical? People come in all shapes and sizes, and all different skin tones. And yes, there is a lot of variation, even on individuals (contrary to the air-brushed uniformity of many available 3D character textures).

The term "painted" was used by Catherine, if I may be presumptuous, to differentiate between textures that were created in a paint or image-editing program as opposed to being based upon photographs.

Can you use a square as-is to create a skin material? Well, you could, and you might if you wanted a completely uniform material without details, such as you might for toons. Or you could, as you suggest, use them as a base for creating texture maps from scratch, where you would probably want to add layers to the image to add details and variation, along with bump/displacement/normal maps, specular maps, etc. as required.

They could also be used by anyone wishing to do digital painting, using them with a colour picker or even creating palettes from them.

No disrespect, but its one of those things where, if you need to ask, you probably don't need them. On the other hand, they might come in handy one day.

In any event, need them or not, thanks to Catherine for taking the time and making the effort.

thanks for the very detailed answer! :D

and yeah.. you're not even so wrong saying that if i had to ask all this, i probably don't really need them. still, i'll have a peek at the other zips too, who know they might indeed come in handy at some point, whatever for... maybe it'll give me inspiration to create sth...
    so, thanks Catherine for those skintones ^^

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,247
    edited February 2021

nm

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

i have a question:how can you possibly have 1325 AND additionally 1091 different nuances of pink-brownish skintones? i just DL the smallest zip to see what this was about..

and why "painted"? isn't it just one single color on the whole square?

also, can i just use one square as a skin texture as is? but maps have details usually.. sorry for the dumb questions, i'm trying to figure out how this could be of use to me, but i have never created any figure texture from scratch.. ^^

To add to the good answers you've received thus far,

Actually I have a whole bunch MORE but unprocessed real skin tones [tucked away in a safe place, one day maybe I'll find them]. While a few tones are very close generally speaking most people have an 'almost' unique base skin colour. So many things factor into the colour of one's skin from the amount of DNA stuff for skin colouring to the amount of sunlight that area of skin has received AND at whatever altitude they happened to be in while in the sun. Speaking from experience, a sun coloured skin arrived at on the plains is no where near the same colour as arrived at from the Rocky Mountain peaks. I was quite the sight one summer I'm sure. Brown arms, white torso and red legs.

They are 'real skin tones' because the colour picker was used on photos of real people to get the colour. Painted ... there is NO photo image included in the square. Yes you can use the squares "as is" ... meaning I don't care how you use it. Some, normally detailed textures used for clothing items [for example] the suppliers dictate that they may only be used 'on templates' because they do not want you giving away the full square texture item they are selling or sharing. If one is wanting a very simple skin coloured skin for a cartoon character it can be had simply by adding the same square to all surfaces. L.I.E. can be used to add make-up.

Ah, but you will learn how to make textures even just for the fun of it, yes :-)

Lesson one. Seams MUST match. So, you get the templates [uvmap set] for a figure, and copy out enough painted layers, one for each template. Trim to a few pixels OUTSIDE of the template islands so now you have a seam matching skin coloured template set.

Lesson two. If you have some photo resources, cut and paste them to match to the areas on the appropriate areas on the template.

Make use of the skin brushes available for whichever image editor you use to add skin details here and there.

End result is a very basic skin texture set for your figure that you made all by yourself :-)

Good for lo-res texturing of background figures too.

By the way, these squares are 4096 x 4096 ... if using 'as is' esp. for games, etc., then certainly one can resize them down as required.

wow.. you almost wrote a mini-tutorial! but i get the general idea about the why. i never notice such stuff, my observation skills are very, very bad. for me, people are all kinda somewhere between light pink and dark brown, in big batches XD. nuances are not my forte i guess.

had to lmao real loud at the color of your skin that summer XDDDD - what a sight!

heyy.... using those as basic color for background figures never crossed my mind. with smaller squares it would even simplify the work i usually do with scene optimizer!

the whole seam thing is complicated. if i don't use the skins as is ofc, since the squares are uni. dunno if i'll ever make a complex skin texture myself from scratch tho, sounds like a real challenge. but maybe the fun is exactly there, we'll see. thanks for your help and ofc your uploads! ^^