Freebies and the DAZ Uber Shader

I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

I am slowly modelling in SolidWorks a small Victorian Granary that my wife and I have made into a nice little habitable building. I have finished the modelling, and conversion to OBJ format from STL and have texture mapped a few of the parts prior to importing into DS. Once it's done, I'd like to make it available as a freebie, but I have realized that I have used the DAZ Uber Shader as the basis for most of the materials (with my own textures, bump maps etc). Is it a breach of DAZ's copyright to distribute items with materials based on the DAZ Uber Shader? If so, I'll re-do the materials on the staircase, which is as far as I have fully texture mapped so far.

Regards,

Richard

Granary Stairs.jpg
1025 x 923 - 132K

Comments

• Assuming all you've done is assign noew maps and settings, rather than take the sahder into Shader Mixer and adjust its parts there, then all you would be sharing are the settings (and your maps) so that is fine. It's like sharing poses, as long as it's your own settings you can do with them as you wish.

• Thanks Richard.

I rather thought so, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I was concerned that the mdl coding behind the shader could be extracted & used. But thinking on this, it could only be used in DS & every copy of DS has it as a freebie anyway.

• Thanks Richard.

I rather thought so, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I was concerned that the mdl coding behind the shader could be extracted & used. But thinking on this, it could only be used in DS & every copy of DS has it as a freebie anyway.

If you just make changes through the Surfaces pane then you are not distributing the shader anyway - simply a file that says use this shader with these settings (or part of the prop files that says that).

• At the moment I'm not competent to make changes any way except through the surfaces pane. I have had a look at some of the Nvidia sample mdl files, and while I think I can follow parts of them, I'm not up to doing anything from scratch yet.