Wouldn't It Be Nice If SmartProps Worked With More Than Just One Figure...

Comments

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Ok, for me it will have to wait, here is full moon, sea is low so i better get to work and get things ready on the beach while I can. Need to move some stones and things like that :D

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2015

I can now position the 'In Hand' katana correctly in DAZ Studio using the following (the lines beginning with a '#' are comments)

:HANDPROXYDATA
    # ,,,,,,,,
    #Journeyer Scout Katana (In Hand),JScoutKatanaInHand,JScoutKatanaInHand,75.9741,22.9775,-10.0,0.571,0.089,-0.38
    Journeyer Scout Katana (In Hand),JScoutKatanaInHand,JScoutKatanaInHand,16.4,22.12,79.98,0.546,0.198,-0.375

It's a completely different set of rotation and translation values from those that work in Poser (which are shown in the commented out line). This is because the rotation axes for the 'In Hand' katana are different in Poser and in DAZ Studio. The 'In Sheath' katana didn't have this problem because the rotation axes are the same in both.

The attached screenshot should help make this clear.

I'd really like to avoid having two sets of parameters in the datafile for each prop, so I'll be asking questions on various forums to try and resolve this. (DAZ Script forum query + PoserPython forum query - I find that simply putting the problems into words often helps clarify things, and I can now see a couple of things to try.)

KatanaProblem.jpg
    743 x 760 - 118K
    Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
    edited April 2015

That sounds very good, I am hoping to see it soon.

For me I am taking day of rest today (after 3 days of hard work) so I am hoping that I might do a bit more with DS. Yesterday I have been working a bit with Mil Dragon 2 and with Bridges & Landscapes from here www.freewebs.com/mapps/downloadsspecial.htm but those landscapes are a bit harder to work with so I was thinking maybe a Bryce scene will be easier.

And today I got Morphing Pavilion Pack from http://www.evilinnocence.com/shop/morphing-pavilion-pak.html I scored big I think because I like it very much, now seeing that it has 3 textures that needed to be loaded manualy but it has really a lot of morphs. Will be very handy. Lets see if I can make something :) Also need to see that ShapeMagic Cottage :) I am hoping to put it all together then get a nice figure and test this script :)

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited April 2015

Progress Report 10th April

Another step closer - I've fixed the problem with the 'InHand' katana loading differently in Poser and DAZ Studio. Quickly tested in DS3, DS4.6, and Poser 6.

Now for a bit of tidying up of the helper scripts and another backup. I'll use those helper scripts to get HANDPROXYDATA parameters for a few props I have in my library. And then I'll add the data to my SmartPlusData.txt file and check that my main 'PropGoto+' automatically recognizes the newly added props and puts them correctly in any characters hand. In DS 3 and 4, and in Poser 6 and 9.

Once I get there it's just a case of tidying up the wording on the dialogues, a bit more tidying up, and some more testing.

And then it should be ready for release. No ETA, but I reckon about a week if I don't hit any major snags.

edited April 2015

Progress Report 13th April

Just set up the HANDPROXYDATA for the sword from dyald's M4 Fable freebie and I can now put that into either hand of any figure by simply selecting prop and figure from scene and running my dev version of 'PropGoto+'. Tested it in Poser 6, DS3 and DS 4.6.
    Here's the dataline I'm using for this sword...

# ,,,,,,,,
    M4 Fable Sword (dyald),Sword,Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,0.093,0.0,0.33

To auto-match a prop I currently check the third parameter (in blue) of each dataline against the first few characters of the Poser internal name of the prop ('act.InternalName()' in PoserPython, 'oProp.name' in DAZ Script)

Hmm... I bet there'll be a few other sword props with internal name beginning "Sword"...

I included the external name in the datalines (second parameter) as well so I could add an additional check for a match against this, but I reckon 'Sword' will be quite common for that too. Maybe I need to include fields for the PP2 filename and the OBJ filename (if the prop uses external geometry) to give a better chance of a unique match.

And I've always got the fallback option of asking the user to confirm the match, or select the correct prop - that's the purpose of the first field in each dataline.

Not a big problem, but it means that it'll take a bit longer...

I've also realized that the existing procedure for positioning a prop in the dummyhand proxy seldom ends up with the prop's origin at the world origin, which is what I really want. Again, not a big problem to fix that (I think/hope), but not something I'd planned...

edited April 2015

Progress Report 15th April

Yesterday I decided to work on the new procedure for manually positioning any prop in the zeroed DummyHand proxy. This new procedure ends up with the prop correctly positioned/oreiented in the proxy (like the old procedure) but also ensures that the prop origin is at the centre of the 'O' formed by the thumb and forefinger. The advantage of this is that if, after using PropGoto+ to put a standard prop into any character's hand, you want to slightly adjust the prop'sorientation it will not rotate way out of the character's hand (which is what it would do for some props with the old procedure).

I've got the helper scripts updated (both DAZ Studio and Poser versions) for this new procedure, and have obtained the following new datalines using Poser 6.

# ,,,,,,,,
    Journeyer Scout Katana (In Hand),JScoutKatanaInHand,JScoutKatanaInHand,16.0,22.0,76.0,0.323,-0.6073,-0.063
    Journeyer Scout Katana (In Scabbard),JScoutKatana,JScoutKatana,174.0,-46.0,0.0,-0.0709,-0.4889,-0.044
    M4 Fable Sword (dyald),Sword,Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,0.0,-0.334,-0.09

(if you compare these with the original versions you'll see that the translations xT, yT and zT are different)

I also used the same procedure in DAZ Studio 3 to get the values for the Fable sword, and got very similar results (within tolerance for the manual element)...

{propName},Sword,Sword,0.000,-90.000,90.808,0.000,-0.335,-0.095

I then hand to modify the main Poser and DAZ Studio scripts to follow the same procedure when it finds the selected prop has a HANDPROXYDATA line. Tested in Poser 6/9 and DAZ Studio 3/4 with all three props whose data I've already set up,and it works beautifully -but with one curious problem (not a show-stopper) in DAZ Studio...

In DAZ Studio, if I display a message-box to show me the prop origin data before and after moving the prop origin, it works. But if I don't display those message-boxes then the proporigin doesn't seem to get moved. It's rather bizarre, and hopefully just something stupid I did late last night. But I may have to ask another question on the Developer Discussion forum here if I can't work it out myself this morning.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

Ooh, that's a nice feature!

edited December 1969

Thanks - I think it's definitely worth the extra effort (and even the banging-head-against-the-wall !) :D

edited December 1969

Progress Report - 15th April PM

I asked the question , and spotted the stupid mistake I'd made before anybody else did !

So positioning of of my test props (Journeyer Scout katana and Fable sword) is now proven to work in Poser 6/9 and DS 3/4.6 using the new procedure that puts the prop origin in a sensible place.

One other problem in the DS version is that the script crashes if I use an HD2 hand pose to do the grip. I'll look at that this evening.

Regarding the chance of many different props having the same names and the auto-detection possibly matching against the wrong one, I think a simple user confirmation dialogue that allows the user to select from a list if it's wrong should suffice (similar to the figure auto-detection and confirmation). Maybe do that tomorrow.

edited December 1969

...and I think I'll take a break for the rest of today, since I've just tracked down and fixed the DS crash. :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Regarding the chance of many different props having the same names and the auto-detection possibly matching against the wrong one, I think a simple user confirmation dialogue that allows the user to select from a list if it's wrong should suffice (similar to the figure auto-detection and confirmation). Maybe do that tomorrow.

Sounds perfect.

Now, my question...is it possible, when creating a prop, to build in support for this package?

edited April 2015

mjc1016 said:

Sounds perfect.

Now, my question...is it possible, when creating a prop, to build in support for this package?

There's a PDF explaining how to do that in each of the previous releases ! :)

However, using this new automated moving-a-prop-via-the-DummyHand-proxy, here's what I reckon will be the easiest procedure for making a *compatible prop.

(N.B.I haven't tried this - it's just off the top of my head):

1) Create the prop in your modeling software at the correct position and orientation (see "A Note On Preparing Hand-Held Props" on my website).
    2) Export as an OBJ and import into Poser.
    3) Save as a PP2 from Poser.
    4) Edit the PP2 to make offsetA, offsetB, origin, and orientation all zero.
    5) Also in the PP2 change the internal name to something that's unlikely to clash with any other props. Probably also wise to do the same with the external name.
    6) Also remove the geometry from the PP2 and make it use an external OBJ. (since I recall that DS4 allocates a meaningless (to me) name if it loads geometry direct from a Poser file? But if the geometry's external it uses the OBJ filename?)

Add the following line to the HANDPROXYDATA in the datafile (Edit: the forum software didn't display stuff in angle brackets so I've used a 'code' section)

,,, 0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0

Not quite sure off-hand of the steps for doing this from DS4 (i.e. creating a DUF prop), but I think it'll be similar. I released DUF versions of all my Smart+ props, but can't recall how (I've got it noted somewhere). And in DS3 I don't think you can save props.

*Note: It won't actually be a Smart+ Prop (i.e. it won't load directly into a figure's hand) but it'll work with the dev PropGoto+ without having to do any setup. If you want to go for the full-blown Smart+ Prop (which I now think is probably **unnecessary) you'll have to create an additional Smart+ version of the PP2 and a specific script for the prop.

edited December 1969

This very interesting, I don't know how I missed latest updates. I am hoping that one day I will learn scripting for DS, at least now I know what part of the forum is reserved for that :). And for this tool, I definitely will give it a try and hoping that I will be able to use it. Also I will need to check Your site as it looks very good, and download rest of the freebies. I have used that world ball and asian shields before and well I just will need to update everything fully :)

edited April 2015

gulan7 said:
    This very interesting, I don't know how I missed latest updates. I am hoping that one day I will learn scripting for DS, at least now I know what part of the forum is reserved for that :). And for this tool, I definitely will give it a try and hoping that I will be able to use it. Also I will need to check Your site as it looks very good, and download rest of the freebies. I have used that world ball and asian shields before and well I just will need to update everything fully :)

Thanks! :)

The latest released version (Release 2 - both Poser and DAZ Studio) doesn't have any of this HANDPROXYDATA auto-detection of props. I'm posting lots of WIP stuff about it because I find that's keeping me from getting distracted onto other projects - I really do want to get this new stuff finalized and released ! (and being easily distracted is one of the reasons I've got half-done stuff on my system )

edited April 2015

Progress Report 16th April AM

First part of today's job done - I've got the DS version displaying a confirmation dialogue after the auto-match. So with the DS version I now just get two dialogues (plus a couple of spurious ones up front that I'll sort out after doing the Poser version of this confirmation)

(Note that in the second 'Confirm Figure' dialog the prop is identified as 'DummyHand' - this is correct, because the automatic process loads a DummyHand, puts the prop into the correct position, parents it to the dummy hand, and selects the DummyHand. On clicking 'Accept' from the 'Confirm Figure' dialogue it's the DummyHand that's actually moved into the figure's hand, but it takes the originally selected prop with it. Once there the prop is reparented to the figure's hand and the DummyHand is deleted)

dsmatch.png.png
    545 x 576 - 90K
    edited December 1969

Progress Report 16th April PM

Confirmation dialogue for Poser version now done too. (The middle dialogue in the image was already there. Might be useful to do a similar one in DS?)

Next tasks - rationalize the dialogues a bit and sort out datalines for several more props, then it's release time.

posermatch.png
    312 x 642 - 22K
    edited December 1969

(and if the auto-match is wrong...)

posermatch2.png
    373 x 333 - 10K
    edited December 1969

Just added a dozen more props - all the swords that come with Poser 9, most of the "Bashers + Bludgeons" from DAZ, and the DS4 Genesis Magus staff...

Blockbuster (Bashers + Bludgeons),Blockbuster,B9BB_Blockbuster,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,-0.6078,-0.1771
    Shillelagh (Bashers + Bludgeons),Shillelagh,B9BB_Shillelagh,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0014,-0.6107,-0.13
    Spikeclub (Bashers + Bludgeons),Spikeclub,B9BB_Spikeclub,0.0,0.0,0.0,-0.0008,-0.5937,-0.1388
    Stoneclub (Bashers + Bludgeons),Stoneclub,B9BB_Stoneclub,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0005,-0.6129,-0.1697
    Treebranch (Bashers + Bludgeons),Treebranch,B9BB_Treebranch,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0013,-0.6118,-0.1358
    Demoniac Sword (Poser 9),Demoniac_Sword,Demoniac_Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,0.4588,-0.76,-0.0011
    Bone Sword (Poser 9),Bone_Sword,Bone_Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,-0.2834,-0.5799,0.0
    Katana (Poser 9),Katana,Katana,0.0,-90.0,-90.0,0.1443,-0.5973,0.0
    Medieval Sword (Poser 9),Medieval_Sword,Medieval_Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,0.301,-0.6144,0.0
    Roman Sword (Poser 9),Roman_Sword,Roman_Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,-0.1454,-0.5926,-0.0002
    Persian Sword (Poser 9),Persian_Sword,Persian_Sword,90.0,-87.0,180.0,0.0,-0.6025,-0.0005
    Genesis Magus Staff,Staff,Staff for Genesis,0.000,90.000,0.000,0.000,-0.513,-0.035

Tested in Poser 9 with F202Dollie and DS4.6with Behemoth2, and it's all working fine.

That's it for today.

edited December 1969

That sounds awesome :)

edited December 1969

:) Hopefully the most awesome bits will be how easy it is for anybody to add their favourite props to the list, and the ease of use...

Progress Report 17th April 3pm

Poser version is basically done! Just two extra dialogues appear before the usual figure selection in the normal run of events.

Still not perfect (e.g. in some of the less likely sequences of events the dialogues are a bit confused), but I reckon it's good enough for a release 3 beta. I'll hopefully get that sorted out and uploaded later today...

poserok.png
    378 x 839 - 101K
    edited December 1969

Generic Poser Smart+/PropGoto+ Release 3 BETA Available

ShareCG: Generic Poser Smart+/PropGoto+ Release 3 BETA

I've tested this in Poser 6 and 9 on my Windows 7 system and it seems to work fine. However, I've only really tested it to any depth with the props for which I've included HANDPROXYDATA. I had to do a bit more reorganization of the code than I'd planned on to get the dialogue sequence right, and it's possible that I've messed some things up. If you use this and come across any problems please let me know.

promo1.jpg
    928 x 862 - 227K
    edited April 2015

In answer to the question that nobody's asked ;o) ...

Why Is This Release 3 BETA Such A Big Step Forwards ?

Here's the FULL hand proxy data section of the release 3 beta 'SmartPlusData.txt':

# Dataline Syntax:
    # < propName>,,,,,,,,
    # Details:
    # - < propName>: A user-defined name to uniquely identify the non-Smart+ prop, for display on the confirmation dialogue.
    # - : Poser's external name for the prop (act.Name()).
    # - : Poser's internal name for the prop (act.InternalName())
    # - ,,: YXZ rotations to align the NON-Smart+ Prop correctly in the zeroed DummyHand proxy. (N.B. YXZ order, not the usual x, y, z). All three values in degrees.
    # - ,,: XYZ translations to position the NON-Smart+ prop correctly in the zeroed DummyHand proxy. All three values in Poser units.
    # Notes:
    # The ORDER of similarly named props is important. E.g. if 'JScoutKatana' appeared BEFORE 'JSCoutKatanaInHand' in this list, then the 'In Hand' JSKatana would be incorrectly matched as an 'In Scabbard' one.
    Journeyer Scout Katana (In Hand),JScoutKatanaInHand,JScoutKatanaInHand,16.0,22.0,76.0,0.323,-0.6073,-0.063
    Journeyer Scout Katana (In Scabbard),JScoutKatana,JScoutKatana,174.0,-46.0,0.0,-0.0709,-0.4889,-0.044
    M4 Fable Sword (dyald),Sword,Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,0.0,-0.334,-0.09

Blockbuster (Bashers + Bludgeons),Blockbuster,B9BB_Blockbuster,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,-0.6078,-0.1771
    Shillelagh (Bashers + Bludgeons),Shillelagh,B9BB_Shillelagh,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0014,-0.6107,-0.13
    Spikeclub (Bashers + Bludgeons),Spikeclub,B9BB_Spikeclub,0.0,0.0,0.0,-0.0008,-0.5937,-0.1388
    Stoneclub (Bashers + Bludgeons),Stoneclub,B9BB_Stoneclub,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0005,-0.6129,-0.1697
    Treebranch (Bashers + Bludgeons),Treebranch,B9BB_Treebranch,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0013,-0.6118,-0.1358

Demoniac Sword (Poser 9),Demoniac_Sword,Demoniac_Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,0.4588,-0.76,-0.0011
    Bone Sword (Poser 9),Bone_Sword,Bone_Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,-0.2834,-0.5799,0.0
    Katana (Poser 9),Katana,Katana,0.0,-90.0,-90.0,0.1443,-0.5973,0.0
    Medieval Sword (Poser 9),Medieval_Sword,Medieval_Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,0.301,-0.6144,0.0
    Roman Sword (Poser 9),Roman_Sword,Roman_Sword,0.0,-90.0,90.0,-0.1454,-0.5926,-0.0002
    Persian Sword (Poser 9),Persian_Sword,Persian_Sword,90.0,-87.0,180.0,0.0,-0.6025,-0.0005

Akira Katana,AK_katana,AK_katana,90.0,-184.0,2.0,0.0787,-0.4853,-0.234

Genesis Magus Staff,Staff,Staff for Genesis,0.000,90.000,0.000,0.000,-0.513,-0.035
    #Genesis Katana In Hand Obtained from DUF in DS4,Katana In-Hand,KatanaInHand for Genesis,17.881,21.611,76.492,0.292,-0.590,-0.072
    Genesis Katana In Hand,Katana In-Hand,KatanaInHand for Genesis,16.0,22.0,76.0,0.323,-0.6073,-0.063

That small section of data (plus the mods I've implemented in the 'GenericSmartPlusProp.py' and 'PropGotoPlus.py') allows the user to put ANY of these props into either hand of any of the 70+ figures currently supported by simply selecting the figure and the prop and clicking the 'PropGoto+ v2' pose file.

Also, since everybody uses different props, I've included a simple 5-step procedure (much improved and simplified from the original procedure in the release 1 + 2 PDFs) for obtaining the required data to add a new dataline for whatever prop you want.

P.S. If any of the small number of people who've already downloaded it from ShareCG are reading this - feedback would be very much appreciated. After all, that's what a beta release is for, eh? :)

edited December 1969

Of course we asked :) I think i saw it yesterday on Renderosity though I haven't seen post in this thread. I have to say that I need things like that very much only that I am a bit slow to figure out how they work and if I ever publish some books or similar things that I plan they sure will come in good. I also planed to learn how to do UV maping trough one of Shape Magic tutorials and eventualy how to make textures and maybe shaders...

But about this definitely it is something that I have been waiting for to learn to use, even have my elf ready for it :) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/52508/P45/#806649 Now lets see if I can make him use it. Will try downloading that ... hm but I don't have Poser so I will have wait for DS version :) but now seeing that Worldball has some updates will try to see if i need them and I don't. So as I have said I am very interested in both things and will try to do my best to learn to use them :), I am still bit new to all this scripts but I am trying to get into things and figure how they work. Will pray for things to be good and to work :D and I will try to see if there are some more things in Your freebies that I can download :).

edited April 2015

gulan7 said:
    ...But about this definitely it is something that I have been waiting for to learn to use...

If I've got it right there shouldn't be anything to learn really ! There's definitely no need to know anything about the scripting languages (DAZ Script / PoserPython) just to use this stuff. You only need to know how to put stuff into the right folders, and how to apply a Poser pose file from DAZ Studio.

The fact that the DAZ Studio versions of all my stuff are usually in Poser runtimes and use PP2 and PZ2 files may puzzle users who started with DAZ Studio 4. But anybody who used DAZ Studio 2 or 3 should be comfortable - Poser formats were the de facto standard (and DAZ Studio 4 has no problem using them). I've also worked out how to do DS4 native stuff (e.g. all Smart+ Props have been released in DUF format as well), but just haven't got round to it with the WorldBall or this PropGoto+ functionality bit.

Good news is that...

Generic DAZ Studio Smart+/PropGoto+ Release 3 BETA Is Now Available

This is a BETA - feedback is very much appreciated.

Must be installed OVER release 2 as it ONLY contains the updated 'GenericPropGotoPlus.dsa' script, plus the same 'SmartPlusData.txt' as the Poser r3beta.

There are NO helper scripts to add your own props yet as I'm still working on those - they'll be uploaded separately asap. But if you have any of these props...

Journeyer Scout Katana (In Hand)
    Journeyer Scout Katana (In Scabbard)
    M4 Fable Sword (dyald)
    Blockbuster (Bashers + Bludgeons)
    Shillelagh (Bashers + Bludgeons)
    Spikeclub (Bashers + Bludgeons)
    Stoneclub (Bashers + Bludgeons)
    Treebranch (Bashers + Bludgeons)
    Demoniac Sword (Poser 9)
    Bone Sword (Poser 9)
    Katana (Poser 9)
    Medieval Sword (Poser 9)
    Roman Sword (Poser 9)
    Persian Sword (Poser 9)
    Akira Katana
    Genesis Magus Staff
    Genesis Katana In Hand

... then r3beta will let you put them directly into either hand of around 78 different figures.

All you do is select the prop, AND select the figure you want to have the prop, and the click (double-click?) the 'PropGoto+ DS' icon, as per the screenshot. You should get a dialogue asking you to confirm the auto-match for the prop.

Downloads:
    ShareCG: Generic DAZ Studio Smart+/PropGoto+ Release 3 BETA
    Renderosity: not yet uploaded

DS1.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 240K
    edited December 1969

...the match is correct, so I just click accept. (You'll notice that the prop is now at the origin and there's a bright orange DummyHand holding it. The script has automatically loaded this, move the prop into it (using the data from the Smart+ file), and parented the prop to it)
    I now get the normal dialogue (familiar to anybody who's used any of my previous Smart+ stuff ) to confirm the figure.

DS2.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 233K
    edited December 1969

... the figure's correct too so I just click accept. (The script now smartprops the orange DummyHand to the selected hand of the selected figure. Since the original prop is parented to it, the original prop goes too. The script then reparents the original prop to the figure's hand and deletes the orange dummy. The prop is now held in the figures hand - I forgot to mention that it automatically applies a hand pose too)

DS3.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 208K
    edited December 1969

And it really is that simple !

1) Select prop
    2) Select figure as well
    3) Apply 'PropGoto+ DS' pose
    4) Accept the prop auto-match. (If it's wrong you can choose from a list or cancel)
    5) Accept the figure auto-match. (If it's wrong you can choose from a list or cancel)
    6) Done

You can use it to move a prop from left hand to right hand.

You can use it to move a prop from one figure to another figure.

The ONLY limitations are these:
    A) There must be a HANDPROXYDATA line for the prop in the Smart+ data file (or the prop must be a Smart+ prop)
    B) The figure who the prop is being given to must be one of those in the Smart+ datafile (currently about 78 figures)

C) This is currently still a BETA, so there'll probably still be bugs in it ! :)

edited December 1969

Thank You, sooner then I expected, It looks good and I will try it tonight.

edited December 1969

Sooner than I expected too ! :)

And don't forget to let me know of any problems...

edited April 2015

Ok I will do it, just got these :D http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55448/ and need to grab this http://www.sharecg.com/v/80369/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Shilleliegh and this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55461/

Then I will be on it ;)

Edit: fixed link

Post edited by MilosGulan on