In Poser 2014 How do I get materials to emit light

Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I was wondering how can I get materials to emit light? Not ambient but emit light?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited December 1969

Plug the texture map into the ambient channel then adjust the color to whatever you want. Adjust the value to 1 and lower little bit at a time till you get what you are looking for

• info_7ab70978f3info_7ab70978f3 Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

Don't have 2014 in Pro 2012 light emitting is a property

Untitled-1.jpg
    492 x 743 - 105K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited April 2014

Poser can emit light via the ambient channel. Just turn it to whatever color you want in the material room and adjust the number value. The higher the value, the brighter the light.

I can't remember offhand if it will show up in the preview or only in the render. I want to say render only.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited December 1969

yes it will show in preview but not as bright than when rendered

• FightingwolfFightingwolf Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

From what I understand light emit in poser doesn't work as we would think it would. The strength of the light being emitted is dependent on the size of the object emitting light. A possible option may be to increase ambient value of the material which will produce the glow and then use a point light to extend the glow. Here's a picture that I made using that method.
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2548799&user_id=432884&np;&np;

aiko3lightemit.jpg
    700 x 420 - 43K
  • ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
    edited December 1969

For the ambient texture to actually emit light you must have IDL enabled. Often to get the amount of light you want to interact with the scene it requires a very high value of ambient channel. This will wash out the ambient color. To get around this you can make a duplicate of the light-emitting object with a high ambient value (say 10-50) and make this emitter invisible to the camera by unchecking "visible in camera" in the properties.

edited December 1969

Connatic said:
    For the ambient texture to actually emit light you must have IDL enabled. Often to get the amount of light you want to interact with the scene it requires a very high value of ambient channel. This will wash out the ambient color. To get around this you can make a duplicate of the light-emitting object with a high ambient value (say 10-50) and make this emitter invisible to the camera by unchecking "visible in camera" in the properties.

HMM. I didn't think about that. I'll have to give it a try and see if it works for this particular picture. I want to say that it still didn't emit enough light which may be why I never though of it as a possible solution. Anyway I'll give it a try and if it works I'll post the results

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
    edited December 1969

It would be best to start with a simple setup to experiment with the Invisible Emitter Duplicate technique. Maybe make a light-emitting sphere. Factors like shadow-casting of the visible version might make a difference. Sometimes I scale the ghost emitter up slightly. It definitely works.

edited December 1969

I tried the duplicate method and it didn't work for that particular scene with the dragon.