Making Hair with Hexagon, re-uploaded the set

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited January 2015

gulan7 said:
    Ok :) Part 2.5 then. I am waiting for part 3.

Here you go :-)

See tutorial folder for re-uploaded item(s).

... and just in case anybody ever notices some of the computer times on screen grabs, yes it's blooming early in the a.m. that some of these were written. Why is because the city has some nonsensical idea that it's okay to drill in the middle of the night. You'd think they were in a hurry or something. For a train track. To downtown. Takes 10 minutes by bus. Sometimes 15.

Modelling_Hair_Part_3_promo.png
    735 x 949 - 195K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 793
    edited June 2014

Hi Catherine,

Thank you for all your tutorials on hair, much appreciated!!

I have left a message also at your DA link underneath the scalp tutorial. I have noticed on your preview that you have included 3D Coat also. Unfortunately I don't have that program, only Hexagon 2 and DS4.6 latest version which was released recently. Do I need 3D Coat also to follow the scalp tutorial?

Laura

Post edited by launok on
    edited December 1969

launok said:
    Hi Catherine,

Thank you for all your tutorials on hair, much appreciated!!

I have left a message also at your DA link underneath the scalp tutorial. I have noticed on your preview that you have included 3D Coat also. Unfortunately I don't have that program, only Hexagon 2 and DS4.6 latest version which was released recently. Do I need 3D Coat also to follow the scalp tutorial?

Laura

Oh heavens no! I only used it to show how it can make the uvmap 'painlessly' ... if/when one is looking to buy a program that can do things like that [and so much more], it's one I'd recommend.

Irregardless of which program makes the uvmap, ultimately one will find also that a 3D paint program of somekind is very useful for making textures.
    Hexagon does not paint well. Maybe that's something they'll fix down the road but for now that's the way it is.

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for these tutorials, Patience. I haven't read through them yet, but gratefully downloaded for a quieter time.

edited December 1969

You're welcome. Yes it's better to read through them first then have a few hours set aside to work through some of the steps. In particular for tutorial 3. Once one has all the strands ... unless one is willing to risk having them all merged and only one shading domain, it's a no-close Hexagon step until done.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Thank you, it looks really good.

edited December 1969

You're welcome.

1/2 way through a mustache one :-)

edited December 1969

Great, keep them coming :)

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Great news, it's currently downloading :P. You could consider making a tutorial on braids, pigtails and curls - in some distant future, of course. You contributed so dearly you need to rest :). Thanks!

Sure. I know that there's a video tutorial 'somewhere' about making a braid ... and there is/was a long one for free use over at sharecg.com.
    That being said, I couldn't make a braid following that video so will be trying again using another method.

If you find either, please share a link. Now tuned for another part.

edited December 1969

This is not the braid I was thinking of but it's what came up on the first page of search results. No readme and going by the posts people aren't too sure what may or not be done with them.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/72310

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

Here... Poseable Braided Hair Extension by Thorne

http://www.faeriewylde.com/FW4/index.php?topic=509.msg4404

edited January 2015

Part Four ... for faking fibre/fiber hair strands I made a little moustache/mustache [oh how I love different spell check spellings!] ...

See tutorial folder for re-upped item(s).

modelling_hair_part_4_promo.png
    741 x 958 - 171K
    edited December 1969

An important something to note for making hairs work better around elf ears:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43082/

Also, the beard/hair product that is shown in one of my tuts is presently in Fastgrab ... great deal!

edited December 1969

Thank you, it looks good. Will have to read trough it :)

edited June 2014

HU for those wanting one of the hair plugins ... Garibaldi Express Hair System is a FastGrab Fav :-) I nabbed that one fast! Made a hair on the 1st attempt ... okay it's not great, not even close, but the plugin works on my W7 so I'm happy with it.

Came across this video tutorial for to model a hairbrush in Hexagon by CG Dreams.

edited December 1969

I have a question.

Did anybody else get the Garibaldi Express Hair System [or already have it] and want a D/S - G.E.H.S. - Hexagon - D/S tutorial?

I made a small collection of "toothpick spears" [been watching that museum movie a little too much perhaps] and have a set of images I could edit for a tutorial IF there be interest.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Oh yes, please!

edited December 1969

I would like it also, i don't have GEHS but maybe one day i will be able to use it. Btw i have that free promo version of LAMH but funny i don't know how to use it with DS :(

edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    I would like it also, i don't have GEHS but maybe one day i will be able to use it. Btw i have that free promo version of LAMH but funny i don't know how to use it with DS :(

The free LAMH is a viewer, one can use presets already made by others, but not create anything new. [unless they've released something else I've missed].

Okay then, I'll edit the images out later this week providing the weather co-operates.

I did get a start on some other images for to make a clothing dummy and a start for a hat which hopefully will get some hair lol ...

edited June 2014

Yes that is the one, but i don't know how to start it :) i am not sure if i can use it for any hair add on to my figures. I know there are already made presets for some figures and i was reallly curious what can be done with it. This is the one http://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair-free-player and i wish i could make it work.

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited June 2014

gulan7 said:
    Yes that is the one, but i don't know how to start it :) i am not sure if i can use it for any hair add on to my figures. I know there are already made presets for some figures and i was reallly curious what can be done with it. This is the one http://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair-free-player and i wish i could make it work.

Which presets do you have? There were some free ones on his website and some that came with products in the store here. I have some but not all. One has to have the figure they were made for and then as I recall, load the preset. Presets had to be kept in a certain folder. I'll see what I can get together.

edit: Okay, there's one called "Lioness short fur" which is for the Big Cat LE [free for members or with purchase]. I'll update my player and see what happens.

edit 2: That's a no-go. Either something is amiss with the preset OR the player isn't working correctly. After trying to load the item, D/S became very unresponsive but was otherwise acting like nothing else was in play ... but there was no visible player let alone fur. Finally I closed D/S and some seconds later got a pop-up from the player that some file hadn't been saved, what to do. On the 2nd attempt the player did not show up but eventually popped up some error messages about not finding something ... so again I closed D/S and after a few seconds again the LAMH player popped up mention that some file hadn't been saved, what to do.

Considering I had just loaded everything to default places, it should have found whatever it needed and worked. It didn't.

So returning to regular programming ... glad I bought Garibaldi's Hair System.

edited January 2015

Here we go! Pardon if there be typos ... think I caught most of them ... if anything is terribly amiss shoot a PM over.

This project uses Daz Studio [THE most recent release] AND the Garibaldi Hair System Plugin AND Hexagon.
    One could use another modeler but the idea for this tutorial is to show a workflow from the Garibaldi plugin through to saving the wearable preset through to exporting out an .obj ... that then being worked on in a modeler ... then back to D/S to make the hair files [or in this case more of a wearable prop file].

Bonus: Took a stab at creating metadata and wow! It works now. So included some steps for that. I draw the line with the scene I.D. stuff though.

Many thanks to "Gone" for posting how to save a wearable preset.

Re-upped, see Tutorial Folder.

promo.png
    733 x 945 - 187K
    edited December 1969

Thank you :) i have millenium big cat and i was trying to make it work but couldn't load player at all as i remember. Oh well, lets hope i will be able to work with it sometime in the future. And thanks for nice tutorial.

edited December 1969

You're welcome.

I know I have some LAMH presets that came with products and those products had their own loaders: i.e. one file to load without fur, another file to load with fur. And they worked fine [hope they still do].

edited December 1969

Thank you!

As for LAMH and MilBigCat hair - the LE version will only work on the LE Cat, as far as I remember reading ... you will need to use the presets for the non LE version
    http://www.furrythings.com/presets-animals/

edited July 2014

Kerya said:
    Thank you!

As for LAMH and MilBigCat hair - the LE version will only work on the LE Cat, as far as I remember reading ... you will need to use the presets for the non LE version
    http://www.furrythings.com/presets-animals/

You're welcome.

I thought that's what I was doing but I think you are right, looks like I grabbed the wrong one. Lioness short fur is for LE big cat. I was trying the one with a mane. Another day then, major heat wave day. Going to be over 40.
    Those gel ice packs sure come in handy on days like this.

I tried making some "furry shorts" with the Garibaldi plugin.
    Was able to make a pair and morph them however needed to add a step.

If Hexagon crashes when trying to import the .obj file, wash it through D/S first. Importing the .obj into D/S, resize it somewhat and export it straight back out. The export itself will make the file smaller in size and Hexagon may be able to handle it.

I put a pair of jeans on the figure 'cause the furry shorts are rather see-through ;-) Could see the process being used for making those silky threads on garments. Nice sheen to them.

A note about wearable presets ... apparently one has to use them on the figure they were created for. A hair for Genesis will render invisible if put on G2 for example.

Render used default lighting only.

furry_shorts.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 617K
    edited December 1969

Garibaldi (and LAMH) hairs are working only on the UV map and figure they were created for.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Garibaldi (and LAMH) hairs are working only on the UV map and figure they were created for.

And the uvmap? Does this mean that when we change the figure's uvset they won't work? [i.e. making a preset for G2F basic, then applying a skin for V6]

edited July 2014

As far as I remember not - but that is a vague memory (it's some time since I played with this plugin) - maybe ask Gone for Garibaldi?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17751/P1035
    He is the best!

or here for LAMH:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14818/P795

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    As far as I remember not - but that is a vague memory (it's some time since I played with this plugin) - maybe ask Gone for Garibaldi?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17751/P1035
    He is the best!

or here for LAMH:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14818/P795

'k, thanks.

I'll also do some more experimenting later.

@ all, "Happy Canada Day"!!!!

It's a holiday over here.