DIM

edited May 2014 in Poser Discussion

Is DIM supposed to work with PP2014?

* EDIT Ok, I guess so, just have to point my Library to the My DAZ3D Library.

Further question:
Why?
I may understand the concept from A DS point of view. But I believe that Poser 2014 has a limit on libray files.

Anyways, I don't like having all my files in the My DAZ3D Library. I'd rather have it the old way where the files are in the directory I chose for them originally.

But due to a crash, I have to now download all the files again, and when I download and install them without the DIM they just don't work. Hell, some of the files won't even extract properly when I attempt to do so manually. So I am forced to use the DIM.

And on further note, I noticed that I have to now point my library to use the content folder. So now Poser library shows a Content folder for each and every product.

I buy Renderosity AND RuntimeDNA products and they work fine without me pointing to a content folder.

Post edited by inspired_art_86a3f09735 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,306
    edited December 1969

Instead of pointing Poser to the default Install manager folder, point Instal Manager to the Poser folder (noting that in Windows Vista and later that should not be in the application folder) - click the gear icon at top-right to get to the DIM preferences, then go to the Installation tab and click + button to add a directory, give it a label (e.g. PoserPro content) and use the ... button to launch a folder selection dialogue in which you select the folder that holds the "Runtime" folder.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

You can specify where you want stuff installed. I have runtimes for every figure, so I have a list of install paths set up in DIM. I select the runtime I want, say V4, go to the list and select a bunch of V4 and A4 items, and it downloads and installs them there, usually very quickly.

If you want to move an item to another runtime, uninstall it from the Installed list and reinstall it to the new Runtime.

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Instead of pointing Poser to the default Install manager folder, point Instal Manager to the Poser folder (noting that in Windows Vista and later that should not be in the application folder) - click the gear icon at top-right to get to the DIM preferences, then go to the Installation tab and click + button to add a directory, give it a label (e.g. PoserPro content) and use the ... button to launch a folder selection dialogue in which you select the folder that holds the "Runtime" folder.

I sure wish I could Richard. the DIM allowed me to ADD one folder and that one is the main runtime on D:\3D Work Poser

I got the DIM installed and running. I killed the process for and uninstalled the CMS. And seems I managed to dl and install the Genesis MFD which went to my \\Users folders. Ok, uninstalled the items that went there and was able to select and remove as a choice THAT folder set entirely. Yaaaay! :lol: :cheese: :coolsmile: :gulp: :bug: (love these smileys man!)
    Um DIM did accept D:\3D Work Poser as the working folder though it kicked and screamed about there being content there already. Right. I WANT it to install content there but will add a practice set for it to install to so I can see what when where how etc.

Thanks for the info Richard!
    McG.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

After you ADD an install location you need to make that the currently selected location.

edited December 1969

After you ADD an install location you need to make that the currently selected location.

He he he! Yeah I noticed that! :-)

Hm. Is there any way to point it to my Downloads folder while in Offline mode? Or do I have to go online and download all files again?\

McG.

edited December 1969

Just go to preferences, the Downloads tab and change the location by clicking the ... button.

edited December 1969

Just go to preferences, the Downloads tab and change the location by clicking the ... button.

BINGO! I take it that DIM looks inside the ZIP file for the manifest or something? Cause it showed the DAZ zips but none of the third party zips or rar's. Cooking with gas now, thanks Richard!
    McG.

edited December 1969

Yes, it requires certain formatting - I'm not sure what the minimum to recognise a zip is.

edited December 1969

Ok, well now, it works. Had the \downloads folder filled with about 3 dozen zips and a couple of installer .EXE's. The DIM found 3 of the zips and one exe installer. All items it found are DAZ items. I think that the Manifest file in each zip might be what the DIM reads.

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    You can specify where you want stuff installed. I have runtimes for every figure, so I have a list of install paths set up in DIM. I select the runtime I want, say V4, go to the list and select a bunch of V4 and A4 items, and it downloads and installs them there, usually very quickly.

If you want to move an item to another runtime, uninstall it from the Installed list and reinstall it to the new Runtime.

All right, I get you now! Not a bad way of doing it. Thanks!
    McG.