Modifying a "button-down" short to open?

RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,041
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello...

I have Hex, but frankly have barely touched it because I find it intimidating and a little kloogy. But I was wondering... if I wanted to take an existing shirt that is "fake" button-down, or pullover, and edit it to "split" the front so that I could use dformers to make it "open", that's no mean task, is it? I'm prepared to be disappointed, so please be honest. :)

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

masi3vee said:
    Hello...

I have Hex, but frankly have barely touched it because I find it intimidating and a little kloogy. But I was wondering... if I wanted to take an existing shirt that is "fake" button-down, or pullover, and edit it to "split" the front so that I could use dformers to make it "open", that's no mean task, is it? I'm prepared to be disappointed, so please be honest. :)

Is the model one available at DAZ3D? If so which? [on the small chance I might have it to check]
    Is it "legacy" rigging or "triax"? Legacy is for V4, A3, etc. Triax is for Genesis, G2.

If you actually edit the mesh, the clothing item would have to be totally remade, morphs, movements, etc.
    There are however quite a few tricks for morphing to create an illusion of ... then you wouldn't lose anything, just gain a morph or two ;-)

It is also possible to use textures to have the appearance of an open space. They are called transmaps and are used on the opacity channel. [black for invisible, white for very visible, shades of grey for inbetween]

• RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,041
    edited December 1969

Thanks for replying... yes, I think am going to have to go the transmap route. To do otherwise is impractical for me. But I'd be interested in a few new morphing tricks.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575
    edited December 1969

Is there something special about the shirt? Why not just find one with opening morphs and retexture that?

• RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,041
    edited December 1969

pwiecek said:
    Is there something special about the shirt? Why not just find one with opening morphs and retexture that?

Yes, it's a very specific design quality that fits ideally with thematic contend of the work I'm doing, and it's part of an ensemble as well.