Help! I need a suspension bridge...

brillstereobrillstereo Posts: 6
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

As anyone created a 3D version of Bristol's (UK), Isambard Kingdom Brunels .. Clifton Suspension Bridge ?

Basically its needs for my son's project, so if one is available, it would be so that different angles of the bridge can be rendered.

None of the available bridges that DAZ or ShareCG or renderosity, free or bought, come close.

I know its a big ask, but would be great if someone does have a close approximation of the bridge, in 3D.

Clifton-Suspension-Bridge-BristolUK-1050x1680.jpg
1680 x 1050 - 546K

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Might find something in Google warehouse for sketchup.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited May 2014

That looks like a nice challenge to make - I'll have a go:)

How much detail do you need? Do you need the surrounds - cliffs, vegetation, river, etc.? How much time does he have ? If it just the basic bridge, I could possibly have it done by Monday evening.

Post edited by Roygee on
  • brillstereobrillstereo Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

Roygee, as much detail as you are able, he has at least until Monday week to get the project done, so not sure if vegetation is needed, but a likeness of the bridge would be great, big thumbs up to you for offering your skills.

edited December 1969

Happy to help - I needed some inspiration to start a new project:)

How times have changed - I recall many years ago helping my daughter make a suspension bridge for a school project, using matches for the construction!

Here's a pic of where I am - the cliff is only blocked out at this point. Do you happen to have any reference pics of how the cables are anchored to the ground?

What application will this be rendered in?

BridgeWIP1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 171K
  • brillstereobrillstereo Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

Wow, that looks really good!

If I have time, I might render the image in Daz Studio, via Reality.. or Bryce .. my preference being Daz Studio.

here are some additional pictures of the bridge, some close up, some from a distance.

Again a really big thanks for doing this!

pic6.jpg
    1170 x 1063 - 515K
    Pic5.png
    1008 x 756 - 1M
    pic12.jpg
    920 x 415 - 113K
    Pic4.jpg
    857 x 572 - 332K
    Pic1.jpg
    640 x 424 - 172K
    edited December 1969

Thank you - those new pics are really useful.

After posting, I did some more research and have completely re-designed the model. I'm trying to keep it as low poly as possible - just hope it won't be too heavy for Studio.

That pic in the mist is really dramatic - must be scary driving across in those conditions!

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

Watching this thread with great interest.

edited June 2014

Modelling all done, but for a couple of tweaks I spotted when doing a test render in Carrara. Now for the surrounds and texturing:)

The test render in Carrara took a couple of seconds, so no problem with a too-high poly count.

EDIT: Did some quick tests in Bryce and DS - also took a couple of seconds each.

Something I noticed in DS is that edges are "softened" - I never use it for rendering, so not sure, but think I have read that it has some sort of auto-smoothing on importing .obj's. If this is so, is there some method of turning this off? The alternative is to "harden" the edges in Hex, which will add considerable to the poly-count.

BridgeWIP3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 30K
    bridgeWIP2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 174K
    Post edited by Roygee on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I think the only way is to bevel the edges ...

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

Only "automatic" smoothing for DS that I know of is surface smoothing. You can change the smoothing angle or turn it off in surface tab.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the info - seems I was mistaken, the render was nice and crisp. Tested in Carrara, Bryce and DS and it works fine :)

Here is the final - Brillsterio, I'll PM you with the link to download - hope you can use it - if so, let us see a render:)

BridgeWIP4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 32K
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

Great piece of modeling Roygee :)

edited December 1969

Thanks, John:)

The actual modelling was rather simple - just a heck of a lot of repetition.

edited December 1969

Got rid of my pathetic attempt to model a terrain and made one in Bryce - this is a better render using Bryce:)

Clifton_bridge.png
    858 x 563 - 576K
  • GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

Very good work Roygee. looking real good. ;)

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

Hi - I've just dropped into this thread for the first time today. Great piece of work. Although you say it's largely repetition - it takes a lot of skill to handle so much in one model.

edited December 1969

Thank you :)

I've never handled anything of that scale before, so rather pleased at the result!