Two Lane Roadway

McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
edited June 2014 in Freebies

Hmm... apparently I can post again using my computer (long story)...
Well... anyway... Heres a very simple roadway prop I made:

http://www.ShareCG.com/v/76420/browse/11/Poser/2-Lane-Roadway

About a week or two ago someone at ShareCG asked about a roadway I used in a promo and since it wasn't a real prop per se, just a Bryce primitive on which I stuck a crappy homemade quickie texture... so I decided to make a little roadway prop for Poser/DAZ because I've probably like ten temporary ones already that I use just once and lose forever...
So what I've made is not actually little... its about 350 ft wide X 640 ft long... (106.68 M x 195.072 M)... (?)... (not so good with the math)...
The roadway itself is about 40 ft wide (12.192 M) with a soft shoulder (semi-paved/semi dirt area next to actual road) of about 13 ft (3.962 M) on each side the rest of the 350 ft is just simple sculpted terrain with a grassy texture applied (nothing to fancy, but if you throw some 3D weeds on it, it'll do)... The roadway is slightly elevated above the surrounding terrain...
Oh yeah... I've included a smaller 160 ft long section if the 640 ft one is too big...

I have also been messing around with some curves, hills and assorted terrain which I may get around to finishing if it is of use/and or interest to anyone.

RoadwayPromo2Bw.jpg
1200 x 915 - 357K
RoadwayPromo1Bw.jpg
1200 x 1020 - 283K
RoadwayPromo3Bw.jpg
1200 x 762 - 242K
Post edited by McGyver on

Comments

• edited December 1969

This looks great! Thank you for going to the trouble to make it and share with us.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2014

Thanks for this. It takes Terradome's textures and with a bit of tweaking can be a desert road (gotta watch the lighting though as some cause the shape of the polys to show through).

2LaneRoad_Terradome3.png
    1000 x 750 - 617K
    2LaneRoad_Terradome2.png
    1000 x 750 - 686K
    2LaneRoad_Terradome.png
    1000 x 750 - 877K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited June 2014

Holy moly... I'm still able to access the forums... this is spooky... has a dark cloud lifted?
    Sorry... but actually seeing a "Post a New Reply" screen after so many months of not being able to, is both confusing and.... confusing... yeah, its pretty much just confusing... cause I just get all ready to curse and be annoyed and then it opens and I'm all like "now what!?"...

But, anyway... I didn't think about a desert texture... thats a great idea... when I made the road, I was more in mind of a combination of the original promo image which was sorta like when you drive through parts of "Upstate" New York and the open stretches of Nebraska, west of Omaha... or how my brain remembers those places... could also have been another planet entirely... I have no idea.

The texture for the roadway is a weird size- 2600 X 4000 so smaller textures will probably tile oddly... or not... I'm really not very awake (stupid K-cup coffee maker only makes "a cup at a time"... like thats a good thing), and I'm still in shock about being able to post three times in a row...
    I like that desert road idea, I'll probably go and make a Mat Pose with "Badlands" textures... dirt/gravel road and dried up grass... if I actually still remember how to make Mat Poses... (My brain has a one week rule... don't use a technique for a week and it get erased from the buffer in favor of something shiny and new)...
    I'll ask my brain about that, and see if I still knows what going on with MAT poses, and if I don't I'll just post them as textures.
    Something like that...

By the way, Vaskania- those pix look real cool... Thats in Poser, right?... Either way, I'm thinking of getting Terradome now... RDNA?
    Ah, I'll look it up... but it looks like one of the best looking domes I've seen, based on your pix!
    Thanks!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Yes, Terradome is at RDNA. This looks really kewl, and I can't wait to play with it to see what I can come up with.

@Vaskania - Nice renders. I especially like the last one with the rode rising straight in front of you. :coolsmile:

edited June 2014

Yea, I noticed the texture tiling weirdness. If the large polys were split into smaller ones I think it would look better (I tried converting it to subD @ 1 and it blew up). I'll have to pull it into blender, subD it a few times and save it out and see if that helps.

Yep, it's Poser, and yep TD is an RDNA exclusive. Word of note about Terradome, it doesn't work worth spit in DS. The geometry might, but shaders/lights/etc are all Poser so you'd have to hand-convert things straight from the runtime/textures folder. For snow, grab Snarlygribbly's free Snow Machine script. Also with TD, RTFM! lol

If you can swing it, I recommend all of these:

Terradome Base Pack Bundle
    - Contains: Terradome, Aquazone, Landmass

Terradome Expansion Bundle
    - Contains: Moss & Rock, Earthen, and Celtic Mists Xpacks

Terradome Skies and Light Bundle
    - Contains: Terrordome, Heaven's Gate, Fantasia Dome

Separate products: Land of Sorrow, Rock and Soil, Terraluna

It will also play nice with Flipmode's Night Builder (http://www.daz3d.com/fm-night-builder), but the pieces have to be scaled down a little to fit inside the Terradome.

/edit
    This is gaudy as all hell, but it shows Terradome, Aquazone, and parts from FM Night Builder.

Terradome_FMNB.png
    1000 x 700 - 1M
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Yes, Terradome is at RDNA. This looks really kewl, and I can't wait to play with it to see what I can come up with.

@Vaskania - Nice renders. I especially like the last one with the rode rising straight in front of you. :coolsmile:

Thanks. :)
  • kjer_99kjer_99 Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Very nice! May I suggest some additional textures? Single white stripe between lanes. No passing yellow stripe. Dirt and/or gravel road meeting paved road. These would add a lot of great options for a fine product. And thanks for sharing it.

Jeremy

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

I had problems logging on the forum from time to time too. Awesome looking road, i will have to download it, thanks a lot :D

• Tako YakidaTako Yakida Posts: 548
    edited December 1969

Nice road dude! Love it!

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited June 2014

And i have to say that i downloaded all those things before from your profile and that they are my favorites, though i haven't used any yet but i hope i will soon. Thanks a lot for all those too :D

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited June 2014

Thanks everyone. I hope its useful.
    About the other textures and versions... I'm working (very slowly) on a dirt road version and some desertish textures.
    I also have some other road sections I made, but they need refining... there are curves, side roads, hills, intersections (private road and public)...etc... I'm trying to make it so they can make big sets that can easily be mix & match used with each other... sort of like moduals.
    There will be different road markings too...
    Here is one (defunct version):

BigHillSet-02.jpg
    1200 x 667 - 161K
  • fleetppfleetpp Posts: 199
    edited December 1969

I downloaded the roadway, it works like a charm!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

... and now
    ...we are on the road again ...
    or is it the road to nowhere?
    Who knows?

THANK YOU!

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    ... and now
    ...we are on the road again ...
    or is it the road to nowhere?
    Who knows?

THANK YOU!

Life is a highway... although one hopes it isn't a highway to Hell.

Thanks for the open road!

• kjer_99kjer_99 Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Okay! That sounds like what I was hoping for with my textures remark. One aspect of the texturing "sections," I would like to clarify a bit. Most road models such as you envision, when they have a dirt or gravel road intersection with the paved part look like artificial, like someone had marked off where they meet with a ruler or straight line. It does not look natural. In real life, grave or dirt roads scatter out for a few feet onto the pavement. That's what I'd most like to see: a paved section where on one and both sides the dirt intersection scatters onto the paved part.

Anyway, sounds like you've got a great project going and will happily anticipate whatever you come up with. And thanks for all those fine goodies over the years.

Jeremy

edited December 1969

Well, the 2 Lane roadway model that I've posted was actually based on a request from a ShareCG member who saw a roadway I made for a promo render for my billboard model... since that roadway wasn't a real model, just a primitive with a crummy texture thrown on it for the render, I decided to model a new one... more or less based on the promo image... nothing too fancy, but sufficient to get by with.
    Being that I wanted to give the user the option to incorporate it in an image where the road runs into the distance, but still had an object in the foreground, the model would need to use big tiling textures for the road surface.
    To UV map a 640 ft long road section would be a little smudgy/pixilated/blurry if I tried to stretch a 4000 ppi map over something that big... plus I'm sure many people wouldn't really like a lot of small (or large ) UV maps bloating their scene file...
    So one thing I tried with this model to soften the edges and make a better transition was to add a separate mesh with a different texture and different surface sculpting just below the where the roadway and the grass meet... this area with a gravel texture, pokes up here and there and reduces the need for a large UV map in the area...
    It's not the greatest solution, but I was assuming people might also throw some weeds and low poly vegetation on top of the area anyway.

The bigger sets will probably use a similar but better planned method to look more natural...

I know most people here at these forums have probably never played or payed much attention to Grand Theft Auto games, but I've always been fascinated by their HUGE living worlds... the most recent one, GTA 6 Los Santos is mind boggling in the effort expended on terrain modeling and texturing..
    I've had the game for many months and I keep studying all the little tricks they have used, trying to figure out ways to get similar results for Poser/DAZ... one of the things I found was the use of a second mesh protruding through the terrain to soften a terrain transition.

Well, I'll see what I can do with making whatever I end up modeling, look more natural, hopefully some of the stuff I try will work.