Simple stool

BronzeDragonBronzeDragon Posts: 381
edited August 2020 in Freebies

I've done a simple stool model. I'm learning a new program and this resulted. So I thought I'd share it. Is for IRAY and will load correctly with that as the working window. Any other type of window the model will show up as all black. The shaders used are the standard ones supplied by DAZ so you shouldn't have any errors loading it or having to hunt for obscure shaders on the internet. I've also included promo pic and obj/mtl files but those are not needed. It should load to the props directory. Let me know if there any problems.

You can find it here:

https://sharecg.com/v/96163/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Simple-stool

If by chance you can figure out how to fix the "all black" problem pleaselet me now. I've trie most everything I found.

stool 1.jpg
400 x 600 - 46K
Post edited by BronzeDragon on

Comments

• I've done a simple stool model. I'm learning a new program and this resulted. So I thought I'd share it. Is for IRAY and will load correctly with that as the working window. Any other type of window the model will show up as all black. The shaders used are the standard ones supplied by DAZ so you shouldn't have any errors loading it or having to hunt for obscure shaders on the internet. I've also included promo pic and obj/mtl files but those are not needed. It should load to the props directory. Let me know if there any problems.

You can find it here:

https://sharecg.com/v/96163/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Simple-stool

If by chance you can figure out how to fix the "all black" problem pleaselet me now. I've trie most everything I found.

1. No it will not load. Rule number one. No moving data folders around. They need to be saved to the correct location in the first place. Saving files in chicken scratch [encrypted] doesn't help people locate missing files. [one can take notes from the error messages]

2. If one applies 'water' then one can see it so the 'black' must be some issue the shaders are having with mesh. I don't know why either.

3. Uvmaps are more useful if unfolded ;-)

4. I don't know what options you have with this new program, but D/S prefers quads.

5. It's a nice looking stool.

• Hi Catherine,

Sorry you had problems. Not sure, what, if anything, I did wrong. Sorry to have taken so long to respond, at my age some days you just don't feel like doing anything.

I've been doing 3D modelling for more than twenty years, however that was with proper engineering software, not these strange programs.

There was no weird stuff, no encryption done. I'm not sure what you are talking about. There was no water involved.  If you ment apply a water shader, why would that be any different than any other sharder. As for the UVs I don't know. Never used them myself, not sure how to do so. The software I uses doesn't seem to mention them at all (I just looked). Hex may have something, but if so, it is not something I've ever done, so would have try to learn yet another whole new thing.

I've done two other groups of files with props in them, and no one has said there was a problem. As far as I know I did this file the same way I did all the others. You are more than welcome to try the other files to see if they have problems too. Then are also on ShareCG under the same username.

I will however redo all the steps starting with exporting the orginal model, and then do each part again and then repost the result. Please try again.

I have also included several other formats and another obj from blender that MAY have quads (not sure I did it right). As for the UVs I'm at a loss on that. Know any good tuts?

I've posted the new files on Sharecg but the link has not shown up yet so I can post it for you. So I'm attaching the file here.

pro stool original colors.jpg
    600 x 600 - 48K
    zip
    zip
    BonzeDragonsStuff.zip
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,247
    edited August 2020

Hi Catherine,

Sorry you had problems. Not sure, what, if anything, I did wrong. Sorry to have taken so long to respond, at my age some days you just don't feel like doing anything.

I've been doing 3D modelling for more than twenty years, however that was with proper engineering software, not these strange programs.

There was no weird stuff, no encryption done. I'm not sure what you are talking about. There was no water involved.  If you ment apply a water shader, why would that be any different than any other sharder. As for the UVs I don't know. Never used them myself, not sure how to do so. The software I uses doesn't seem to mention them at all (I just looked). Hex may have something, but if so, it is not something I've ever done, so would have try to learn yet another whole new thing.

I've done two other groups of files with props in them, and no one has said there was a problem. As far as I know I did this file the same way I did all the others. You are more than welcome to try the other files to see if they have problems too. Then are also on ShareCG under the same username.

I will however redo all the steps starting with exporting the orginal model, and then do each part again and then repost the result. Please try again.

I have also included several other formats and another obj from blender that MAY have quads (not sure I did it right). As for the UVs I'm at a loss on that. Know any good tuts?

I've posted the new files on Sharecg but the link has not shown up yet so I can post it for you. So I'm attaching the file here.

About the water shader, that was another shader in D/S that I tried - was looking to see if I can figure out why it was all looking so black too.

The software you used did apply UVmaps which is fine, but they had not been "unfolded" [i.e. there would then be overlapping areas so for eg. if one were to paint something on the top of the stool, it would also appear on the underside of the stool. When unfolded these areas can be rearranged so things like that would not happen.]

UVmapping in Blender - I'm relatively sure that there must be tuts available however sorry no I don't know any particularly good ones to refer anybody to.

I haven't time right now to load the files in DS to test them but I did unencrypt the prop file [using 7zip] and it appears so far that this one should load fine. Have attached a few pics so you know what I'm talking about.

Thank you for fixing the files ;-)

DS encrypts the files.png
    473 x 518 - 36K
    chicken scratch is hard to read.png
    1126 x 574 - 127K
    good - in the previous upload this is what was wrong.png
    1492 x 689 - 56K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on