Silo 3D updated, why not Hex?

rekhrekh Posts: 7
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

http://nevercenter.com/silo/release_notes/

Been learning Blender ... but ... once a month I check on Hex. Love this program. Would love to see it incorporated into Carrara.

Anyway, Silo has been updated to 2.3!

Um ... we need Hex updated stat! I remember waaaaaaaaaay back when Modo, Silo, and Heagon first appeared on the scene. Downloaded all three. Played around with 'em ... Hex kicked their butts.

I will continue to peek in on this forum.

One day...

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

If Silo comes out with a 64 bit Windows version it will definitely be worth another look. Nvil is a very capable poly modeler, and is 64 bit already.

• ausairausair Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Although not likely it would be great to see an update with more bug fixes at the very least and better compatibility with modern operating systems.

Any new features would also be welcome.

There is Silo, NVIL and Blender in the low cost/hobbyist market but still prefer Hex's interface and tools.

• rekhrekh Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

I think there is already a 64bit version for windows.

Nvil looks promising but I'm on a mac.

If cheetah 3D rendered like Carrara; black outlines on toon shading ... and had more than one developer, I'd stick with it.

There is always hope though...

• kenmokenmo Posts: 906
    edited December 1969

Tried Nvil and I hate it's interface very much. Too many exploding windows and balloons for me... AND yes I know the interface is customizable but I'm not interested in learning how to customize the ui. I just want something that's easy to use and Hex fills the bill. Too bad DAZ has neglected this app for so long...

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Why not Hex? It costs to compete. Hex has not ponied up the antee in the last few rounds.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    If Silo comes out with a 64 bit Windows version it will definitely be worth another look. Nvil is a very capable poly modeler, and is 64 bit already.

This was one thing that didn't have me enthused and wanting to buy Silo during the Steam sales. I use Blender 64bit, which is free. I'd look at buying Silo a downgrade.
  • nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Silo now has a 64 bit version for Mac and Lynux. Windows version supposedly in progress.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited July 2014

...Wings3D is also going 64 bit however it still needs the plugins to be updated (received an error dialogue on installation because of a missing c++ component).

I agree, Hexagon is in serious need of moving to 64 bit. This would eliminate the maximum memory restriction (3gb) which could fix some of the instability. I often get "out of memory" warnings on my workstation (12GB) just before Hexagon freezes up or crashes to the desktop. Very frustrating as (IMO) it has a very nice UI and toolset. Two other areas where there could be improvement is import/export (more file formats such as.lwo, .stl, .dae) and the UV mapping tools. As it already has bridges to Bryce and Daz Studio (with the latter, both ways) it could be a very powerful tool as it is focused strictly on 3D modelling without all the other functions of a "full feature" programme like 3DS, Blender, Modo to distract from its primary purpose.

I would even pay for such an upgrade at this point just to have a good solid modeller that doesn't have a lot of other "features" (or in the case of Blender, a UI) that gets in the way of the job the programme is required to perform.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 906
    edited December 1969

Does Hex have a future? I only DAZ would STP from keeping us in the dark....

• ausairausair Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

kenmo said:
    Does Hex have a future? I only DAZ would STP from keeping us in the dark....

Its been 8 years since any development, so I would say definitely No.

The program is still as useful as it was 8 years ago tho.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited September 2014

It's been just as long for Silo to have an update. The program was dead and they went on to other projects. They just recently started working on it again and its more updates and not a new version. I love Silo and its my goto program. I just got Modo cause the abilities of the program put Silo to shame and I can do so much more detailed work.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • rekhrekh Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Almost a year since I asked the question. Just got an email from Bob McNeel with a link to the Rhino modeling program for Mac.

Just thought I'd check in.

Silo
    Rhino

Can we put a kickstarter together to: 1. buy Hexagon from Daz, and 2. pay a team to put it on par with say Cheetah 3d; with a render engine like carrara? Every year or two put a kickstarter together for updates...

Okay, okay ... back to reality.

Will check back again...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited May 2015

...nah, just debug it, give it 64 bit support, improve the UV mapping. tools, dump the Second Life stuff (does anyone still use that?), keep the two way Daz bridge (maybe add one for Bryce), and call it a day..

Don't need another full featured app (enough of those floating around already). Let's leave hex dedicated to just modelling.

Post edited by kyoto kid on