Converting from .dsa to .cr2, but there's a catch!

desleadeslea Posts: 27
edited July 2014 in Poser Discussion

I have some old Poser-oriented products which I've pretty radically altered - we're talking fits, extra morphs, and re-rigging for specific morphs, generally in Triax weight mapping. (For context: They're mostly clothing items - there are a lot of historical and fantasy items for M3/V3 that I've converted to Genesis 2).

Now, I want to share some of my customisations with Poser-oriented friends, but I want to stay on the right side of copyright and make it so they can only use them if they own the base product.

The outcome I want is -

- A poser-readable format (don't care if it's CR2, INJ/REM poses, something else)
- That references the underlying OBJs rather than natively including the vertices
- That doesn't have errors arising from weight map data
- That carries over my morphs, and
- Where the morphs have adjusted rigs, the rigs too (I can probably manage this manually if the rest works).

I've tried exporting to CR2s, but that brings in weight map data. In Daz, that results in errors (but the file ultimately works). In Poser, the errors are absent or silent, and the morph channels come in, but the morphs themselves fail.

I've tried converting to general weight first - same result.

I've tried deleting all weight maps first - errors disappear but the morphs fail in both programs.

I've tried re-creating the morphs in Poser (I still have the OBJs), but Poser claims the morph has the wrong number of vertices. (Daz accepts them fine). (I'm using the Load Full Body Morph option).

I've looked around for a way to convert the items back to Parametric Joint but there doesn't seem to be one.

I've tried re-importing the morphs to the base, parametric figure, but I get "Morph has no deltas, skipping node." I have no idea what that means. The same OBJ will come in fine as a morph after weight mapping.

I tried making an EXP file for the morphs but it only seems to work with Parametric.

I've tried using Poser Toolbox to generate INJs from the weight mapped CR2s, hoping it would discard the non-Poser-standard data, but it brought it in anyway.

The closest I've gotten is by using Poser Format Converter to convert the morphs to pose files, which poser can read and apply to the base product, but there's no way of removing them again. If there was a removal method I could live with this way of doing it.

I'm willing to write a script to manually remove the weight mapping from the CR2s if there's a serious chance it will work, but I'm not inclined on a punt. The proof of concept would be manual deletion and it's a lot of work on even a small item.

I'm at the limits of my ingenuity! Any ideas?

Post edited by deslea on