Where are the pictures in the training documents?

tr.wintletr.wintle Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I've just downloaded Hexagon and went to look at the training documents. All of the images are icons only. how do i see the pictures?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/hexagon/hexagon-misc01#step_8narrowing_it_down

Comments

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

Those were originally on another server. When they moved the website ... I don't know if it was to a new server or just to new software or both... those links were broken. I don't know if the pictures were lost or if they've still got them but haven't hooked them back up or what.

It would be really nice to have those tutorials back in place. I'd love to look at them.

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited July 2014

Actually, I just looked and you can download the whole set of tutorials from here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/hexagon/2/userguide/start#tutorials

Post edited by The Pencil Neck on
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

Oh, this is helpful, thanks!

• launoklaunok Posts: 793
    edited August 2014

Actually, I just looked and you can download the whole set of tutorials from here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/hexagon/2/userguide/start#tutorials

Quoted from above link:
    Manuals
    Hexagon 2.1 Manual (with links to online videos)
    English Manual, French Manual, Modeling Tutorial, Videos - Zip (260 MB)
    Note for English manual - do not delete the French versions of the videos as the English versions require them to run

I have downloaded these videos which appears as a full set in the rar: hexagon2_userguide_videos

Many of them has no sound at all which is hard to follow for a totally new beginner like myself! Some of the videos are French only, some are English. So if you are English and try to follow the French ones it will also be difficult as I have never learned to speak or can't understand French. I haven't tested all the videos but this one is doing nothing, just keeps flickering on the bottom play button ... it doesn't even starts: 1_over_n_loop_dta.mov (7,796 file size).

Post edited by launok on
  • rtweedrtweed Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

launok said:
    Many of them has no sound at all which is hard to follow for a totally new beginner like myself! Some of the videos are French only, some are English.

In fact, depending on which video you watch and which player you use, you might get English, or French, or it might jump between the two.

The reason is that they are encoded badly, but actually contain two language tracks: one is English and one is French. Unfortunately, most players won't recognise this because of the encoding error.

Download VLC: it will let you switch languages. Unfortunately, the tracks are not labelled "English" and "French", but rather both are labelled English, so you may need to experiment a bit to find the correct track. This I believe is also why most players don't select the correct language track based on your language preferences, as they are supposed to. It also prevents VLC from remembering your choice between videos, so you have to select the language from the menu each time you open a video. Many of them don't have sound anyway, so having to check each time can be quite annoying.

I reported this issue to Daz in January, fwiw. It might be worth you raising it again because if more people complain about it, they are more likely to dedicate some resources to re-encoding the videos.

I found this workaround through my own testing, and recommended to Daz that, as a temporary workaround, they add a note explaining the issue on the videos page with a link to VLC. I see they haven't done that yet either.

• launoklaunok Posts: 793
    edited December 1969

rtweed said:
    launok said:
    Many of them has no sound at all which is hard to follow for a totally new beginner like myself! Some of the videos are French only, some are English.

In fact, depending on which video you watch and which player you use, you might get English, or French, or it might jump between the two.

The reason is that they are encoded badly, but actually contain two language tracks: one is English and one is French. Unfortunately, most players won't recognise this because of the encoding error.

Download VLC: it will let you switch languages. Unfortunately, the tracks are not labelled "English" and "French", but rather both are labelled English, so you may need to experiment a bit to find the correct track. This I believe is also why most players don't select the correct language track based on your language preferences, as they are supposed to. It also prevents VLC from remembering your choice between videos, so you have to select the language from the menu each time you open a video. Many of them don't have sound anyway, so having to check each time can be quite annoying.

I reported this issue to Daz in January, fwiw. It might be worth you raising it again because if more people complain about it, they are more likely to dedicate some resources to re-encoding the videos.

I found this workaround through my own testing, and recommended to Daz that, as a temporary workaround, they add a note explaining the issue on the videos page with a link to VLC. I see they haven't done that yet either.

Hi there, thanks for your input. I am using VLC media player but did not know about the language switching option - thanks for pointing out this option! :-)