Power Suit for G3F

AOBBAOBB Posts: 957
edited October 2020 in Freebies

I have created this suit with Lady Noir (V4.2) in mind:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/424306/blade-runner-s-rachael-head-inj-files-see-page-3-face-texture-added#latest

but built it around the Genesis 3 Female as I have been told that it is possible to adjust it to the V4.2 figure too. I wanted the suit to be used not only for a legacy figure but also for different, current female DAZ3D characters.

The meshes were built entirely by me from scratch, so they can be used in whatever way you like (non-commercial, commercial).

The texture I have created in Photoshop, when applied to the mesh and tiled has some darker areas that create sort of a "shadow" grid when the texture is tiled. Unfortunately, I couldn't remove the darker areas as they weren't obvious and easy to isolate.

I snapped a photo of a vintage Czech glass button I have and worked on it in Photoshop to create the button texture.

I wrote in the ReadMe text that the textures are for non-commercial use only but maybe they could be used in commercial work also. I'm not sure, so I am erring on the side of caution and asking that you use them only in non-commercial work.

Enjoy!

AOBB

Power Suit for G3F.jpg
1353 x 921 - 178K
rar
rar
Power Suit.rar
3M
Post edited by AOBB on

Comments

• AOBBAOBB Posts: 957

I have fixed the skirt, so it wouldn't disappear during the dForce cloth simulation, and updated the Power Suit.rar file with the new skirt. If you have already downloaded the rar file, please download it again.

Cheers,

AOBB :)

• Thank you!! Great work.

I'm glad you like it. :) Thank you for the kind words!

AOBB

• soapwellsoapwell Posts: 23
    edited November 2020

Thank you.  This looks like a very nicely made design.  I like loose clothing in general instead of skin-tight clothing.

However, I wasnt able to get it to work.  I tried using both the "Full Body" and "Dress > Knee Length" options under the Transfer Utility dialog, and neither one of them worked.  The arms are parented to the figure, but they hang loose.  Is this normal?  Do I need to learn how to set up clothing to attach to individual bones before I can use items like this?  

Thanks, 

Soap

Post edited by soapwell on

I used the "shirt" option in the transfer utility's projection option for the jacket and the "none" option in the Transfer Utility for the skirt. Then I lowered the arms of the model to an A position (the sleeves folowed the models arms very nicely and the rest of the jacket conformed to this new position too). Then I did a dForce cloth simulation for both the skirt and the jacket starting from that A position and moving to a modified Fashion Model walking position, so the change was only slight and only allowed the cloth to drape without getting torn or turning all baggy.

To have the cloth simulation start from the "A" arm position you have to switch off the default "On" mode of "Start Bones from Memorized Pose" that you will find in the simulation settings. Otherwise at the beginning of the simulation the model's arms will jump back to the "T" position. Starting from the "T" position results in the cloth not working correctly under the armpits and other nasty problems with the jacket.

I also "painted out" from the dynamic simulation weight map the area of the jacket around the neck (so it wouldn't stretch) and the waistband area of the skirt, so the skirt wouldn't fall down onto the model's hips during simulation.

Don't forget to hide the buttons (rigid objects) during the simulation. If you don't, the cloth will tear around them.

Hope this helps!

AOBB

Here are some nice tutorials that might be helpful:

-on attaching rigid objects in a simulation:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203481/setting-up-items-with-rigid-follow-nodes-tutorial

-on painting weight maps for dynamic cloth simulations:

AOBB

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,246
    edited November 2020

Using the Transfer Utility to turn the .obj files into clothing files, I've attached 2 images. One has the default G3F and shows the settings I used. The other image is G3F with a character shape dialed and shows the settings to use in those situations.

I ran the simulation only on the skirt, stopping it when it looked okay for this pose.

Just did a quick material surface job there - after clothing items are made, there can be more work to be done such as for morphs to enable for eg., the skirt to fit under the jacket or the jacket to fit over the skirt. [and after running the simulation this model was only usable from the front view 'cause I hadn't done any weight map painting which yes, is a great feature to make use of ;-)

And I've discovered all kinds of cigarettes, ashtrays, etc. in some of the products in the store - notably stuff to do with spys and detectives, etc.

To make the shirt.png
    480 x 748 - 40K
    To make Skirt plus settings for other shapes.png
    480 x 747 - 39K
    Use DForce to make the skirt drape.png
    700 x 700 - 264K
    Works nicely, thank you.png
    700 x 700 - 295K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Thanks, Catherine for helping out. I love the pose your G3F strikes with the hands up. Very dramatic! :)

AOBB

• Thanks, Catherine for helping out. I love the pose your G3F strikes with the hands up. Very dramatic! :)

AOBB

You're welcome.

If I recall correctly that pose is from the set Capsces Classy Eva 7.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Eva 7 bundle. I can sort of see Edith Piaf doing that pose while singing.

AOBB

• Oopsie, when I opened D/S that was the folder open but that was apparently the one I used as a starter for the other image. The hands over head - {I think} is the "Fashion Model Pose 04" which if I'm not mistaken, everybody has. It's in the main Poses folder.

Yes, I've checked. You're right - Fashion model pose 04. I don't like the leg pose but the arms are great. Good to know.

AOBB

• I used the "shirt" option in the transfer utility's projection option for the jacket and the "none" option in the Transfer Utility for the skirt. Then I lowered the arms of the model to an A position (the sleeves folowed the models arms very nicely and the rest of the jacket conformed to this new position too). Then I did a dForce cloth simulation for both the skirt and the jacket starting from that A position and moving to a modified Fashion Model walking position, so the change was only slight and only allowed the cloth to drape without getting torn or turning all baggy.

To have the cloth simulation start from the "A" arm position you have to switch off the default "On" mode of "Start Bones from Memorized Pose" that you will find in the simulation settings. Otherwise at the beginning of the simulation the model's arms will jump back to the "T" position. Starting from the "T" position results in the cloth not working correctly under the armpits and other nasty problems with the jacket.

I also "painted out" from the dynamic simulation weight map the area of the jacket around the neck (so it wouldn't stretch) and the waistband area of the skirt, so the skirt wouldn't fall down onto the model's hips during simulation.

Don't forget to hide the buttons (rigid objects) during the simulation. If you don't, the cloth will tear around them.

Hope this helps!

AOBB

Thank you, but I think Im going to have to give this up and work on other things. 

I dont have the "shirt" option, so I tried using Full Body and Knee-Length Dress instead. That may or may not be the problem.  Bending the model's arms didn't work, whether I did it before or after the transfer.  I appreciate your help, and I imagine I can't be literally the only one with this particular problem, but my eyesight isn't that great and my computer is a bit slow, so I want to work on simpler things for the time being.

Best regards,

Soap

edited November 2020
    soapwell said:

I used the "shirt" option in the transfer utility's projection option for the jacket and the "none" option in the Transfer Utility for the skirt. Then I lowered the arms of the model to an A position (the sleeves folowed the models arms very nicely and the rest of the jacket conformed to this new position too). Then I did a dForce cloth simulation for both the skirt and the jacket starting from that A position and moving to a modified Fashion Model walking position, so the change was only slight and only allowed the cloth to drape without getting torn or turning all baggy.

Hope this helps!

AOBB

Thank you, but I think Im going to have to give this up and work on other things. 

I dont have the "shirt" option, so I tried using Full Body and Knee-Length Dress instead. That may or may not be the problem.  Bending the model's arms didn't work, whether I did it before or after the transfer.  I appreciate your help, and I imagine I can't be literally the only one with this particular problem, but my eyesight isn't that great and my computer is a bit slow, so I want to work on simpler things for the time being.

Best regards,

Soap

Check the first image in my post a bit above this one. I ignore the projection part, many do.

Hello Soap,

I'm sorry you weren't able to get the suit to work. What version of DAZ Studio are you using? I am using DAZ Studio 4.12, so the little guide I wrote for you was for that version. If you are using an older version of D/S maybe some important options are unavailable. Unfortunately, I am new to D/S - I am only learning version 4.12 myself and I definitely know nothing about the older versions.

If you are using D/S 4.12 then I'm a bit surprised that the shirt option in the projection template is unavailable but Catherine's way of accessing that option should work.

Good luck whether you decide to pursue the isssue or not.

AOBB

edited November 2020

There are a few products that add in projection templates [i.e. Sickleyield's] so it is possible for different projection options to be available.

From the lower section where I select skirt/shirt/or whatever seems to be the best wardrobe option is where the bones comes from.

Something for you, Catherine:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/448206/the-chanteuse

:)

AOBB