Why isn't symmetry working?

rtweedrtweed Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

OK, so I have a simple model made by extruding a box a few times. It's completely symmetrical in X and Y and I want to maintain X symmetry, which I have selected.

However it's not working. It looks like the reason is because the green box showing the symmetry plane is, for some reason, floating off to the left of my model instead of being in the middle. I don't know how it got there. Maybe I initially created the box in an arbitrary position and then reset it to (0,0) and that's somehow messed it up, but if I check the local coordinates of the vertices, they appear to be correct, i.e., if one vertice is at x=1, the opposite vertice is at x=-1, in both local and world coordinates. By my measurement, the symmetry plane is sitting at about x=-6.1 - the model doesn't contain any vertices out that far to the left!

I've tried to reset it by slicing the model in half and using the symmetry tool to flip it about the X axis, which does correctly flip it about the origin and not the green symmetry plane, but it still doesn't reset the symmetry plane, so symmetry still isn't working. I've tried doing this with the "clone" option turned on (as well as off) as suggested in the manual, but that makes absolutely no difference.

What gives?

For now, I've rebuilt this model from scratch and it's worked this time, but it would be nice to know what went wrong here and how to fix it.

Comments

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited August 2014

Did you save the original model, it would be nice to see a screen grab of it. I think I had something similar in the past (probably something completely different) and the work-around I found was to select all the faces and Cut & Paste them.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • rtweedrtweed Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I saved the file. I'm on another system just now but I'll give that a go later and see what happens.

edited December 1969

Here's a screenshot. I tried CTRL+X, CTRL+V and it didn't change anything. Did it in object select mode, then tried again in vertice mode with all the vertices selected. Same thing happened both times: no change.

bad-symmetry.png
    636 x 432 - 12K
    edited December 1969

Just re-read your post and noticed you said faces, so I tried that and it worked!

Selecting faces is significant for some reason.

For science, I also tried edges. That one is weird. It pastes back without any faces! Selecting vertices retains both edges and faces, so I'm not sure why edges is the only one that's different. Anyway, the resulting wireframe model has the symmetry options disabled. So don't do that.

Also, the weird edges-only model seems to confuse Hexagon. It won't let you close the faces manually and after you try, the select vertex and select edge tools just stop working.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

If the concept being talked about is what I think it was ... it's to select the Faces, then copy/DELETE/paste.

Sometimes Hexagon makes an invisible-to-us thingie somewhere which needs to be gotten rid of, and this is how.

Not all tools work with symmetry but usually one gets a pop-up warning when trying to use said tools when the symmetry is turned on.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

Glad you got it to work Rtweed.

What's gone wrong Patience is Hexagon has lost the symmetry somehow (the green square should be in the centre of the object), but for some reason if you cut and paste all the faces and try again symmetry works.