Poser use for ALL Items

Hello,
I am a frustrated Daz customer. I've been a member for more than 10 years. I was using Poser when I became a member and started buying Daz products. Now 10 years in I find that I can't buy what I want because I can't install it into Poser. I'm not talking about the products that utilize the DSON installer for Poser, but the ones that don't such as The new Dojo bundle: http://www.daz3d.com/martial-arts-dojo-bundle and many, many new items. Why can't Daz stay loyal to its customers that have been loyal to Daz whether they use Poser or not? Please make the DSON installer for Poser available for ALL products. Certainly there is enough staff here that can convert models and scenes so that we can use them in Poser without trying to figure out someone's outside script that I can't figure out to save my life. (The DSOnLoader script found on another site that comes with zero instructions.)

Please Daz, make all items available to us Poser users and stop alienating us. I've supported you and have been a Premium member for more than 10 years but I'm really losing interest in keeping my membership.

Comments

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,064
    edited September 2014

It is not up to Daz but the PA. If they, he\she feel they do not want to make or include Dson files so it is Poser compatable, well the request needs to be taken up with the PA. Remember some products require a lot of extra work to work in both Apps, mainly material and shader wise, and sometimes to meet deadline, duel support is left out. There could be lots of other reasons, but it's best you PM them and ask why.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I have seen many PA's saying it is far easier now to make DAZ Studio content than Poser, how true that is I don't know. Also some newer PA's just don't know Poser at all so that has an influence on what they support. They are many Poser items on other sites that are Poser only for various reason so it does swing both ways.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

It's not, I'm, afraid, a helpful comment but since people do get confused by the terminology and think that products are Poser ready when they aren't if they see DSON files listed I must add a reminder that the DSON files are DAZ Studio files - the DSON Importer for Poser requires Poser Companion Files to read the content into Poser, and usually to apply Poser-native material settings.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2014

I think one of the biggest problems in multi program use props is that DS props don't seem to use OBJs, so there is never an obj in the file folder. If there was an obj then not only Poser users, but also Bryce Carrara and Vue users could use it, all be it with some work to be done with materials.

Just my 0.2p and possibly incorrect.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I think one of the biggest problems in multi program use props is that DS props don't seem to use OBJs, so there is never an obj in the file folder. If there was an obj then not only Poser users, but also Bryce Carrara and Vue users could use it, all be it with some work to be done with materials.

This is true and a pet peeve of mine but since I use DS I can export in OBJ.
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited September 2014

There is a free Python script to open Studio DSON files directly in Poser...

http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=dson_loader

EDIT: this script of course requires the DSON importer to be installed.

However, I will say there are some items on my Wishlist instead of in my Runtime because they don't have Poser Companion files. Poses and Genesis morphs are not much of an issue, and models themselves are usually no problem, but textures can take a lot of work to work well in Poser....

Post edited by WandW on
  • edited December 1969

Thank you. I have the script but it doesn't open all the Daz items which you mentioned. Also, I'm not sure if I'm even using that script correctly.

edited December 1969

I usually don't use the script, myself, but export the prop or pose from Studio as a Poser file. However, some are averse to running Studio...

• edited December 1969

Thank you all for your comments. Odd that it says that I am a new member. I'm not and have been a PC member for more than 10 years as I said. It must be something I chose by accident that makes me appear new since the new Layout. In any case, thanks for your replies. Doesn't help me, but thanks. I have no idea of how to contact each vendor. Even if I did it doesn't guarantee that they'll respond or add the Poser companion files which is what I am requesting for each item. Even obj files as someone mentioned would help. In any case it's that vendors loss because that's money I would like to spend, but can't if I can't use the item.

• edited December 1969

WandW said:
    I usually don't use the script, myself, but export the prop or pose from Studio as a Poser file. However, some are averse to running Studio...

Good idea, I think someone awhile back was trying to help me do that. Do you have a link to an easy explanation of how to do this?

edited December 1969

New Member? You've been here for over 2000 years! :)

The only export tutorials I know of are a few years old, and I know that changes have been made to Studio 's export options. To export props and figures from Studio, File > Export> Poser.

To create your own Poser Companion Files, albeit with possible material issues, http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_content_conversion/tutorials/creating_dson_companion_files/start

• edited December 1969

WandW said:
    New Member? You've been here for over 2000 years! :)

The only export tutorials I know of are a few years old, and I know that changes have been made to Studio 's export options. To export props and figures from Studio, File > Export> Poser.

To create your own Poser Companion Files, albeit with possible material issues, http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_content_conversion/tutorials/creating_dson_companion_files/start

2000 years?! :lol: That's about right plus or minus 10 minutes.
    Wow, thanks for the link and your help. I'll give this a try!

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited September 2014

chohole said:

I would like to add that rigging in a way that's cross-program compatible is massively difficult, unless you're making just a piece of clothing and it only has main body bones (even plain old thigh handles can be tricky to get the CF reader to translate properly). I've got a creature coming out before too long that has more than 2000 bones! The companion files loader would absolutely choke and die, and I don't think it's even literally possible to recreate that in Poser even if I were willing to try.

Add to that the fact that Poser does not interpret weight maps in the same way, so I have to make extra morphs to try to fix pokethrough that wasn't there in DS if it's a clothing item. And that's beyond the fixit morphs I already make for DS use.

The bottom line is that the technology has grown too far apart for most individual artists to reasonably support both while still going forward with innovation. It's not just about materials any more.

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I would like to add that rigging in a way that's cross-program compatible is massively difficult, unless you're making just a piece of clothing and it only has main body bones (even plain old thigh handles can be tricky to get the CF reader to translate properly). I've got a creature coming out before too long that has more than 2000 bones! The companion files loader would absolutely choke and die, and I don't think it's even literally possible to recreate that in Poser even if I were willing to try.

Add to that the fact that Poser does not interpret weight maps in the same way, so I have to make extra morphs to try to fix pokethrough that wasn't there in DS if it's a clothing item. And that's beyond the fixit morphs I already make for DS use.

The bottom line is that the technology has grown too far apart for most individual artists to reasonably support both while still going forward with innovation. It's not just about materials any more.

I understand that but with fairly simple props it is possible to work from an OBJ, this is not about clothing, but environmental props.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

My bad, the thread title said ALL ITEMS so I got confused. Carry on. ;)

edited December 1969

chohole said:

I understand that but with fairly simple props it is possible to work from an OBJ, this is not about clothing, but environmental props.

Much clothing should be no problem; here's a good example that shouldn't even have complicated materials...

http://www.daz3d.com/pa-sale-2014/sport-time-sneakers

edited December 1969

My bad, the thread title said ALL ITEMS so I got confused. Carry on. ;)

Yes. I know Clothes and such are supposed to be easier done purely for DS. But my gripe was props orientated. I am too tight to spend money on an updated version of Poser just to get things prepared for export and then still have to use another set of steps to get them from Poser into my app of choice.

• Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

The Dojo bundle linked in the first post does convert beautifully to Poser if you have a couple hours to devote to the process (and you're comfortable exporting the objects from DS into Poser and setting up the materials yourself). I zoomed out a bit to get the whole building in the render, but I think it looks quite nice.

Same goes for the other environment / building-type sets that are DS only... the ones I've tried have all converted to Poser without an issue.

Of course, I also tend to turn G1 and G2 clothing into Poser dynamic props to use on the Generation 4 figures, so take all this with a grain of salt...

edited December 1969

Saba Taru said:
    The Dojo bundle linked in the first post does convert beautifully to Poser if you have a couple hours to devote to the process (and you're comfortable exporting the objects from DS into Poser and setting up the materials yourself). I zoomed out a bit to get the whole building in the render, but I think it looks quite nice.

Same goes for the other environment / building-type sets that are DS only... the ones I've tried have all converted to Poser without an issue.

Of course, I also tend to turn G1 and G2 clothing into Poser dynamic props to use on the Generation 4 figures, so take all this with a grain of salt...

That does still need the use of DS. I have tried using Carrara to try exporting an OBJ, but with mixed success. It did work for a clothing item but props have given me more problems, for some reason.