Close the opening

GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I am trying to create a depression in the top of an object which has beveled edges. I've cut the opening and have bridged from one side to the other, but I'm having problems creating faces to close the opens on the sides.

In the screen shot you will see the center portion of the side has been closed, but the odd shape at the right side is still open; the opposite side is the same as in the screen shot. I'm not that familiar with Hexagon so closing this odd shaped area is posing a problem.

What is the best way to make a recessed area when the sides are beveled and the top of the object is flat? That is the problem I've encountered and am not experienced enough to know how to solve it.

Close_opening.png
698 x 897 - 88K

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited October 2014

GussNemo said:
    I am trying to create a depression in the top of an object which has beveled edges. I've cut the opening and have bridged from one side to the other, but I'm having problems creating faces to close the opens on the sides.

In the screen shot you will see the center portion of the side has been closed, but the odd shape at the right side is still open; the opposite side is the same as in the screen shot. I'm not that familiar with Hexagon so closing this odd shaped area is posing a problem.

What is the best way to make a recessed area when the sides are beveled and the top of the object is flat? That is the problem I've encountered and am not experienced enough to know how to solve it.

There's a button called "close Holes" which usually works well for these situations. You click it, it'll put a white circle around everything it is recognizing as a hole, click near to the white line and it'll turn red. Validate after filling the desired holes. Then you may wish to use the add a line from dot to dot tool so those 3 dots get connected to a corner as well. Having dots end mid line tends to cause trouble later on.

edit: Or, depending upon the item being worked on, use the 3rd add a line button down in the image to add 2 more lines on the straight plane, then bridge 2 of the curved lines with 2 of the straight. Then use the close holes button to fill in the left over triangular space.

close_holes_button.png
    598 x 332 - 48K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,219
    edited December 1969

Why would you want to create a depression? Why can't you just let it be happy? Why my Aunt Tillie used to say......oh, not that kind of depression.

Nevermind.

:)

edited December 1969

lol ... enjoying the PC sale?!!!

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Patience55: Your first suggestion worked like a charm, so far. I tried it on the section I showed in the screen shot and that area is now closed. Before finishing this post I tried this on the other three areas and they too are now closed. As a result a line was left between the triangle area and the center area. It was then a simple matter of removing the lines and the stray vertices. I now know what another command does, which is one more than I knew. Thank you Patience55.

@Cris Palomino: Thanks for the chuckle. And for the vocabulary lesson.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,219
    edited December 1969

:) I couldn't help it....I started channeling Emily Litella. :)

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Patience55: Your first suggestion worked like a charm, so far. I tried it on the section I showed in the screen shot and that area is now closed. Before finishing this post I tried this on the other three areas and they too are now closed. As a result a line was left between the triangle area and the center area. It was then a simple matter of removing the lines and the stray vertices. I now know what another command does, which is one more than I knew. Thank you Patience55.

@Cris Palomino: Thanks for the chuckle. And for the vocabulary lesson.

You're welcome. :-)