Progress with Running Track Freebie (Hurdles + G8F Hurdles Poses)

2»

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited March 2021

that flew so far over my head I think it reached escape velocity and is currently orbiting the sun devil

this is SAVIhost named to an imitation Moog VSTi 

it is possibly a pretty popular UI, I wouldn't know blush

SAVIhost.JPG
    738 x 724 - 122K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • But, but... but...  My illusions have been shattered.

Wendy, I thought you knew everything to do with computers... wink

I will say that CMorg program looks as if it uses the same BCB components as I use in my program. My version of C++ Builder is the 32bit version, using a library of objects first developed for the Pascal programming language 'Delphi' in the mid 1990's when Win95 was new. There is a sort-of 'Early Windows' feel about them that hasn't been hidden by the advance of Windows. The new cross platform libraries version (32bit & 64 bit Windows, IOS and Android from the same source code) was beyond my pocket when I paid for C++Builder 10 (£1200 instead of the £50 I spent) in 2016. The current version, even though free for the sort of limited license use I practice, requires constant internet contact - and that's not going to happen on a Win7 machine these days.

Regards,

Richard

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited March 2021

CMorg is just the VSTi I renamed it as, it loads whatever VSTi dll you name it after cheeky

its called SAVIhost by default 

but yeah it uses a preset, framework or whatever you call it obviously for many programs wink I am just a user, no nothing of the dark arts of ciding and scripting etc but immediately saw a resemblance thats all.

anyway I am totally derailing your freebie WIP thread blush

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,498
    edited March 2021

I have uploaded the basic running track now. It's over on Rendo, here: https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/freestuff/athletics-ground/88078

The pack consists only of the ground level facilities for the stadium, basically just the bits shown above. I have added a few times of day, cameras, and track colours. I have started a help file, which is extraordinarily basic at the moment. Hopefully I'll get it knocked into a better shape eventually. The intention is to add stuff with later packs, updating the help file, camera positions, adding sand morphs for the sand pits etc etc. I shall be releasing relavent poses for male & females with each pack as I go through.

The current model is illustrated with a TritiumCG character morph and a slight modification to the 'Early Morning' time of day environment settings:

Regards,

Richard

RunningTrack Ad.jpg
    800 x 800 - 419K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,544

Wow and thank you, can't wait to try it out

• Could you let me know if there are any problems. I did try to use it from the uncompressed directory tree on a memory stick, and it worked, but that isn't a 100% guarantee I've caught every problem. This is the biggest model I have made for DS and there are plenty of places for it to go wrong.

One thing I failed to mention in the help file is that there is a morph in the main model to make the lines protrude more or less. The default is 4mm, but due to rounding errors, the supposedly flat track isn't, and sometimes the lines need to poke further through the track to prevent apparent breaks. The protrusion more morph is to fix that. And ideally would be dialled back to the minimum that still shows contiguous lines.

Regards,

Richard.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Wow!!! This looks great. I'm really impressed with the level of detail. It must have been hard to make.

I'm currently stuck in bed acting as furniture for a cat, so I can't check it out now. But I will download it after I get up tomorrow and try it out.

edited March 2021

I have updated the User Guide so it's a bit more sensible & also reflects the scope of the project. As each new related dowload is added, the guide will be updated to add the download and any further info I feel is needed. The guide is an attachment to the first post. Until I update the user guide it's here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/14/1053930301854272f21ea3d70d8542.pdf

Regards,

Richard

• certaintree38 said:

Wow!!! This looks great. I'm really impressed with the level of detail. It must have been hard to make.

I'm currently stuck in bed acting as furniture for a cat, so I can't check it out now. But I will download it after I get up tomorrow and try it out.

I know the feeling... Avoiding disturbing a cat is a good enough excuse for delaying any event. 

Regards,

Richard.

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Thank you!

Worked mostly fine for me. I only had issues with the light/times, could not figure it out. Ended up using other light to get some shadows.

TrackfieldTest1.png
    1440 x 1080 - 3M
    edited March 2021

The lights use Sun/Sky which can be a little erratic for some. I do like lighting with HDRI's for this, but it's not something I can make myself, so avoided using any in the distribution file.

It may be possible to reduce the protrusion of the lines from the track. I included a morph in the main body to do this. Think it's called 'Less-More Prominent'. The lines are raised to avoid rounding errors hiding them under the track surface and disappearing, and it's sometimes not needed at full strength. Can't use a texture for the lines as the texture would need to be 51200 x 25600 pixels to get the same resolution in the track surface graininess without texture tiling.

Regards,

Richard.

edited March 2021

I really like this set! It gave me a chance to use some other nice freebies too. 

The props themselves loaded fine, and the mat settings all worked. 

I did run into problems with the lights and the morph on the track. The lights each load an extra set of render and tone map settings that don't change the light. So If you click on the various options, you can easily end up with four tone map and render settings in your scene tab, and the light will be the same as when you started. The other issue has to do with the Lines morph. Dialing the morph into negative numbers makes some of the lines disappear while other lines remain raised. The more you dial this morph back, the more the lines disappear. The lines tend to disappear toward the edges of the track, so if you remain close to the center, you can possibly dial the lines down a lot and still see the lines you need. Even at -100%, the lines are pretty pronounced there though, so I went ahead and turned off parameter limits and dialed it down to -150% for the render below. It looked pretty good then. 

Here's a render of an athletic-looking woman enjoying her new track*: 

Also, here are some screenshots of the lines at various morph settings to illustrate what I mean: 

Lines morph at -50%:

Lines morph at -100%:

Lines on track up close at -100%:

*Sorry it's not a cleaner image. It was already late so I ended the render early. 

track run 1 small.jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 7M
    lines less -50 small.PNG
    2000 x 985 - 2M
    lines less -100small.PNG
    2000 x 951 - 2M
    low angle lines -100small.PNG
    2000 x 903 - 2M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • There are two problems I can spot there. The black lines in the first image going to the shot-put circle. I have never seen them so pronounced. Unfortunately, they coincide with modelling triangles in the converted STL file. I obviously need to re model that part of the infield. Gaah!

Now, with the white lines appearing and disappearing, this is what I have been fighting with throughout. The morph translates every facet in the lines up and down by exactly the same amount. I manually checked in the OBJ file brought into DS that was what was happening, and the output was as I expected. I think it's another manifestation of the same problem that causes eyes to render black away from the origin; a lack of significant figures and so the two facets render in the same place. This time there's no transparent material to turn black when facets intersect. It's frustrating.

It did occur to me that the lines thing might be hard to fix. But even with the issue, it's a nice freebie. I look forward to using it in a visual novel. These high schoolers are going to be active AF. laugh

• @certaintree, I have just been looking at your athlete's hair. Is that zoro_d's latest braided hair? <looks like it to me>  If so, it's remarkably good. I have downloaded the hair but not had a chance to use it. I do like the HDRI too, works well.

Regards,

Richard

Yes! That is Candy Braids by zoro_d. It is so nice... The colors look great and it comes with some nice poses/styles. The hdri is from skies of economy volume 1. I don't recall the exact one, but I do remember that I rotated it 90 degrees to get the brighter light to hit her face. I messed with the tone mapping too. :)
    edited June 2021

Done a little more work on this. Been a bit remiss over releasing bits and bobs relating to it.

Right. The first ancillary prop is the starting blocks. They have been approved rather more quickly on Renderosity than I expected. Anyway, they are here: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/88614/athletics-starting-blocks. This freebie consists of a starting blocks and a set of poses that will move the selected item (starting blocks or athlete) to the middle of the chosen lane.

The next bit will be a package of preparation poses, giving a number of the movements an athlete goes through when settling into the starting blocks. There are seven, each with mirrors, and a zero pose.

The poses are shown in the attached image.

The next set after this will be the actual sprint start poses. I will do ones for G8M once I've finished the G8F poses. There won't be many differences, possibly have the starting blocks on a different setting, and accommodate bigger legs.

Sprint Start Prep Ad.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 1M

The Sprint Start Preparation poses have now been approved on rendo, and may be downloaded from here: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/88621/g8f-sprint-start-preparation-poses

Regards,

Richard.

Thank you and this whole set is looking so great so far.

Glad you like it. Hopefully I'll get the initial sprinting poses uploaded by the end of the weekend.

Regards,

Richard

edited July 2021

Five sprint start poses are now up. I hadn't realised how long I had dithered about the poses. Still not sure the hands are exactly how most sprinters hold themselves in the blocks, but as I was modelling the poses myself, I did it the way that felt right for me. My coach did try to get me to change many years ago, but was told that I'd be quicker if I felt comfortable, and that's when he gave up.

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/88827/g8f-sprint-start-poses

Regards,

Richard

Sprint Start Ad.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 800K

LOL great back story and thank you for the poses

edited July 2021

G8M Sprint Start Poses and G8M Sprint Start Preparation Poses are now up on Renderosity. They are essentially the same as the G8F poses, tweaked for the G8M shape. I did, however, set the hands to the more common shape for the starting poses.

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/88885/g8m-sprint-start-preparation

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/88886/g8m-sprint-start

Hope they are useful.

Regards,

Richard.

Sprint Start Prep G8M Thumb.jpg
    300 x 350 - 98K
    Sprint Start G8M Thumb.jpg
    300 x 350 - 90K

Looking really great...thank you

edited April 2022

OK, after a long intermission between events, I have managed to create some settings for hurdles and some G8F Hurdles Poses. Both install packages are too big for here, so are accessible at Renderosity now they are approved (yep, that was quick). As a taster.. see the promo images below:

I haven't started on them yet, but there will be 'Hitting Hurdles and Falling Over' poses as well as ones for G8M.

Regards,

Richard.

Hurdles Props Ad.jpg
    800 x 800 - 576K
    G8F Hurdling Poses Ad.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 865K

I've been seeing these pop up over at Rendo, this whole set for sports is so massive, thank you for all your hard work.

• It is a bit ambitious, I must admit. The more I do, the more I realise I ought to do to make it complete. I'm looking forward to doing the 'Hitting Hurdles and Falling Over' poses. Probably because I'm mean. He, he, heh.

lol accidents do happen at sports events lol