Starting a model

124»

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Roygee: Thanks for the information, it may yet come in handy. One question, though. Did you Add Thickness to the line for the steps to get there overall width?

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but no, never used line thickness at all :)

Made the steps by drawing a polyline in side view, using the grid as reference. ! block in Y axis, 2 blocks in X axis and repeat. Then I extruded the line. Extruded the edges downwards, starting at the top and welding points at each vertical extension.

You can get curved steps by drawing an arc and using sweep line.

edited January 2015

@Roygee: Yes, I was asking about using line thickness on the polyline. I think I tried extruding one time but ended up with a horrible nightmare. Guess I didn't do something right, again.

So you use the polyline as a template, extrude in X and Y axis, then what becomes of the polyline? Once extrusion takes place you have a structure, right? Does the polyline become part of that structure, or still just the template? If it's still a template do you delete after you've created the structure?

I take a few steps forward and soon realize I'm going backwards much faster.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I take it you use the universal manipulator? If not, it's a good idea to get into using it exclusively.

Anyhow - to extrude the polyline, with it selected, hold down Ctrl and drag on one of the arrowheads in the direction you want to go.

The polyline does not become part of the structure, so you can either keep it to make another structure, or delete.

I gave read that exporting a model which has a loose polyline in it can cause problems, but have never experienced this. Best to delete, to be safe

edited February 2015

@Roygee: Oh yes, the universal manipulator is my good friend. It takes to much motion to constantly go up to chose a setting, then down to make the action. Then back up, back down, etc. I can rotate, enlarge, move, etc. just by using the universal manipulator. It's be nice if other type programs also had that feature.

I've watch videos where a polyline was used to create an object/structure and left in place. I've seen others where the person deleted the polyline after completing the work. Seems if it was left in place it'd be unwanted geometry, something which can make an object/structure not look quite right. I'd be inclined to delete the polyline after it's no longer needed, as well as any other unwanted geometry.

Edit to Add: After not working on my house for a few days, I finally sat down and worked on the front porch step railings. The railings in the first image are the first set of railings I made, left side is a copy of the right side. These are the railings I said I wasn't real happy with so I made the ones shown in the second image. As you can see they are more in line with the railings around the porch, and look better--IMHO.

New_Porch_Steps_Rails.jpg
    1415 x 840 - 239K
    Old_Porch_Step_Rails.jpg
    1412 x 915 - 238K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

Once again I need directions, I've discovered another problem I didn't know existed or how to solve. I'm not even sure rebuilding this part would fix the problem.

Hexagon start crashing, again, when I was working on placing newel posts and railings on the side steps. I remembered something Roygee said to check, Over-4-Points Faces, and found my original newel post had this problem and proceeded to follow his advice how to fix this. Ok, problem fixed, but Hexagon kept crashing.

Thought I had it narrowed down to the railings, but finally found that the upper and lower flat surfaces of the porch pillar posts lit up when I selected Over-4-Points Faces. So I moved the railings out of the way, hid all but one of the pillars, and tried each of the Triangulate n-gon selections and nothing fixed the problem. Choosing one of the selections even made things worse.

Looking at the attached image, can anyone advise me how I might fix yet another problem I created? Rebuilding the pillar isn't really a big deal, but if I don't know how to prevent the problem I'm libel to simply recreate the original problem.

Porch_Pillar_Post.jpg
    1027 x 1047 - 199K
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

First thing that comes to mind is to make everything a dark colour and check for unwelded lines. Hexagon likes making those.
    If any exist, delete those faces and replace them "manually".

If nothing can be touched without a crash, go back to last known good project file and carry on.

edited December 1969

Thanks Patience, I'll give that a try.