Importing Sketchup models without Sketchup. :) (requires Blender)

kaz42kaz42 Posts: 63
edited December 1969 in Freebies

I saw some posts about using Sketchup Make (the free version) with the OBJ plugin, but since the free version of Sketchup isn't for commercial use, I found a way around it.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/index.html

Download your model from the 3dWarehouse as .KMZ
.KMZ is actually just a zipped Collada .DAE file. Change the extension of your model file to .ZIP, open it, and extract the files.
Open the .DAE in Blender
Export as .OBJ
Import .OBJ into Daz Studio
Win.

On the two I've tried it with so far, the geometry looks solid. None of the problems others have reported with exporting models out of Sketchup. The only issue has been with materials. I think it loses opacity information somewhere in the conversion, but it does preserve surfaces in Daz. To rename the surfaces once it's in Daz, just open the Tool Settings tab, select Geometry Editor from the pulldown, and double-click the surfaces in the list.

(Importing the .DAE directly into Studio didn't work for me, both tests imported empty objects.)

Comments

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited December 1969
  • kaz42kaz42 Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Lol you win. :)

I thought your method was going to require Sketchup from watching the first part. I had searched first, but if this was already posted elsewhere in the forums, Mods feel free to delete this post. :)

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited October 2014

if i posted about it, the post is probably almost inaccessible on the old abandonned daz3d forum

so it's better if your post stays up!

note that recently i tested Blender's STL importer to convert objects from www.thingiverse.com/thing:257091

it worked well but the models are sometimes very high-poly and not textured, they are for 3d printing

but the creative commons license seem to allow use of them in renders without problem

Post edited by mCasual on
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Thank You, i have to figure how to do this :D

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I have used Bryce also .