British ingenuity - Updated with download

VarselVarsel Posts: 574
edited November 2014 in Freebies

It's up.. DS only for now.
http://www.sharecg.com/v/78329/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Rifle-VA-EM-01
.obj version
http://www.sharecg.com/v/78589/browse/5/3D-Model/RifleVA-EM-01obj

I have started to play with 3d-Coat, and my first creation is the Enfield EM-1 rifle.
This rifle was developed in the late 1940's.It was a prototype, and did never see any service.
It was supposedly over-engineered and complicated to maintain, but it was (in my opinion) "cool"

This model isn't 100% accurate. This one is for both left and right handed soldiers, and the aiming is differente.

But there is a problem.
After I upgraded to Windows 8, Poser won't work anymore.
So can anyone help me with how to create this into a prop ( .pp2 ) So both DS and Poser users can use it.

And secondly. I have always run my models trough UV-mapper Classic.
Firstly to remove the references to the .MTL file, and secondly to compress the .obj file.
But again, Windows 8 did kill that.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Promo.jpg
900 x 500 - 52K
Post edited by Varsel on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited November 2014

What version of Poser are you using? All you have to do to make it compatible in both is to take your pp2 and resave as a duf in DS and it can be used in both programs. Once you save a prop and extract the embedded geometry it will remove all references to the mtl file. I use this to clean up the various things that need done with development. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/tool-collection-for-poser/37406

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

I have Poser 7.
    And it is Windows 8.1 64 bits. Sorry I should have put that in at once.
    I do have Poser Editor by Dimension3D.

I didn't think of extract the embedded geometries. Thats clever..

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited December 1969

Poser 7 isn't compatible with Win 8 I believe

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    . . .
    After I upgraded to Windows 8, Poser won't work anymore.

over here: they discuss compatibility issues with windows 8 / 8.1

https://support.smithmicro.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2374/kw/windows 8/related/1

• SemicharmSemicharm Posts: 375
    edited December 1969

I don't know about Win8, but Poser7 ran fine with IE11 under Win7. I thought it was just the new library component in later versions of Poser that caused all of the recent compatibility headaches, which wouldn't effect Poser7. Was there a different problem in Win8?

edited December 1969

Well Poser starts up, and its running.
    I can even use the library to put M4 in, but when I try to import a .obj, it just shuts down.

Trying to start it in compatibility modus for Win 98, Vista,Xp, doesn't help at all.

And since I do this for free, and my main application is Carrara, I will probably not spend $ 129,99 to get Poser 10.
    So I will create it as a Studio prop (in .duf )

• SemicharmSemicharm Posts: 375
    edited December 1969

That's something that I'll keep in mind.

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

You can still cater for the Poser crowd by releasing the OBJ file. With it and the texture files it is not a big job to recreate the prop in Poser (or any other 3D application like Blender).

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited December 1969

Nice work !!!!!

Any chance of a MAG-58 and a L4A4 Bren Gun ?????

• SempieSempie Posts: 658
    edited December 1969

@ Varsel:

You can run a virtual machine on your Windows 8 installation that will run Windows XP.
    It's an offer from Microsoft, and it is absolutely free, both the virtual PC and the WinXP
    installation.

Provided your PC has sufficient CPU power and RAM the virtual PC will run in a new window
    on your Windows 8 desktop. The virtual PC does not have direct access to the win 8 harddrives
    but you can drag stuff between windows.

I have it running on my Win 7 installation on a PC dating from 2008, any modern PC should be
    able to run it - and Poser 7 runs smoothly on WinXP.

Here's a link on how it all works:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-windows-xp-for-free-and-legally-straight-from-microsoft-si/

Good luck!

edited December 1969

Thanks Sempie.
    I will have a look at it on monday.

I'm working now, while everyone else is partying...

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited December 1969

Hey Varsel. Sempie is partially right, as you may have already discovered. Windows XP Mode was a download available from Microsoft for users of Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate versions, and basically was a full install of XP that ran in a virtual machine. It wasn't available for Win 7 Home Premium. However, the option was not offered for users of Windows 8 either, presumably because XP was end-of-life by then. So the installer, which is still available for download, will not work in Windows 8 natively, without some significant workarounds. There are instructions available on the internet for making it work, but it is not as simple as installing it under Windows 7.

edited December 1969

http://www.sharecg.com/v/78589/browse/5/3D-Model/RifleVA-EM-01obj

Well here is the .obj version for those that can use it.
    The content is organized as a Poser Runtime, but there are no .pp2 file.

I have given up on making my version of Poser to work, and so long that .duf files work in Carrara, I have no personal need for Poser anymore.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited December 1969

Mine. :cheese:

• English BobEnglish Bob Posts: 113
    edited December 1969

Thanks for making the OBJ version available!

I tried to make a PP2 file for you, but unfortunately I can't make it work since your OBJ has no material zones. Please would you give me permission to add some? Mindful of your "no redistribution" terms, I could then send you a Poser version to upload if you wish.

I'm assuming that Texture01.jpg is the bump map - or is it supposed to be displacement? - and that Texture02.jpg is intended as a specularity map. Let me know if I got this wrong.

Also, were you aware that you'd packaged maps for some of your other props in the Zip? It's not a problem, just makes the file a little larger than it needs to be. ;)

edited December 1969

o dear... :red:

Things went a little bit to fast.....
    And combining that with problems when uploading to ShareCG, off course something had to go wrong.

New version uploaded.
    Removed unnecessary texture-maps.
    New .obj file with mat-zones.

Texture01 and Texture02 are both color or diffuse map.
    They are straight from 3dCoat, and can both be used as spec.map.
    There are no bump or displacement-maps. I found that using the normal-map did the trick.
    But for the wooden parts, the normal map is not good.

@EnglishBob
    As I create these for my own fun, and primary use them in Carrara, and always tweak shaders, they might not be optimal for Poser or DS.
    If you would like to tweak,adjust,re-texture,rig etc. ... no problem
    And as you have a good reputation, I have no objections if you want to re-upload it more optimized for Poser users.
    PM me an I can formalise a permission, for your archive...

edited December 1969

I've done the same thing myself, so no worries. :)

Since the updated OBJ includes material zones (thanks for doing that so quickly!) there's no need for me to repackage anything, or redistribute any of your work. All I need is to provide this:

http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dl.php?file=RifleVA-EM-01_prop.zip

- which includes the Poser library files (PP2 and PNG) needed to call up your existing model and textures. Just install it over the top of the OBJ version download - updated version only, of course.

I've only added the simplest material settings. Much as I might enjoy cooking up something more advanced, or rigging it, I sadly don't have much time at the moment. :(

EM-1.png
    750 x 700 - 72K
    edited November 2014

As an example, here's the same scene using some third party purchased materials: wood from the materials sets that bagginsbill did for DreamlandModels' furniture, and metal adapted from templargfx's Car Materials for Poser. Both recommended, both available at Renderosity if I'm allowed to say that. :)

Edit: I've no idea how realistic these are, although from my memories of taking the so-called Empire Test as a cadet at school the metal should probably be darker and, you know, more gunmetal-y. We used the WWII British Army vintage Enfield .303 bolt action rifle, and that was nearly half a century ago so my memory may not be reliable. :D

Material_test.png
    650 x 650 - 73K
    Post edited by English Bob on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Sire....

As Real Life is calling, I just wanted to check in and say thank you........

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Real Life is calling...

I know all about that. Can't something be done about it? ;)

You're welcome!