Moving Runtime

Digital DragonDigital Dragon Posts: 26
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Is there a way or is it possible to move a complete runtime from say a version of Poser 7 to Poser 10 without having to install everything individually. My version of Poser 7 is not installed in my program files but runs from a folder in my documents. I've acquired so much stuff over the years and am just looking for a easy way of transferring everything. Is this possible or are the runtimes so different between the two versions that it won't work. Thanks for any and all help!!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

You can't safely copy the Runtime from the application folder, as it contains version-specific files that would overwrite those from the newer version. Why not simply point Poser 10 to the existing folder, and use it alongside the main Poser 10 folder? Click, if it's the same interface as Poser pro 2014, the folder icon with a + at the top of the library pane to add the folder containing the actual Runtime folder. It will, however, be a good diea to continue to install add-ons for figures you have installed in the Poser 7 folder to that location as having two folders for, say, the DAZ fourth generation figures can confuse Poser.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

What Richard suggests is the 'official' method. :-) Here's a detailed procedure...

https://support.smithmicro.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2083/kw/poser

• FightingwolfFightingwolf Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

Another option is to use an external runtime that's located on an external harddrive. This way any problems associated with your computer won't affect your content. This will also allow you to easily move the content from one computer to the next without having to install it again. If you have a NAS (network attached storage) then you'll be able to house your content there and back it up. Just wanted to share another option.

• edited December 1969

You may get a problem with old PZ3 scenes. Those will refer to content in your old runtime location. I do get this bother with my old PZ3 files before I move my external runtimes about.