A little script to remove the superfluous keys puppeteer creates

RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
edited May 2021 in Freebies

If you use puppeteer a lot for pose-to-pose animation you may find this script useful.  As you may know, when you click a puppeteer dot it adds a key for every single property regardless of whether that property has actually been changed.  This leads to a lot of "fluff" on the timeline; keys you don't need and so forth (thousands of them).  The existence of these keys affects both performance and animation, especially if you want to change some property later and you find there's already a bunch of keys for it.  It also clutters up the timeline display making it harder for you to find the key you actually want to manipulate.

What this script does is iterate all properties of all nodes in the scene, deleting all keys that are default values (if all keys are the same), or if all keys are the same as the first key, it deletes all the other keys except the first.  This may clean up your timeline a bit.

(Note: Relatively new to Daz scripting, so please feel free to criticise my code and/or point out annoying corner cases I've missed that makes the whole idea fail).

zip
zip
clean keys.zip
Post edited by Robinson on

Comments

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,544

I'm on an older computer and kinda new to animation. Been reading and watching lots of tutorials on the Daz animate, graphmate and keymate.

How exactly do I use this. There was no read me in the zip to explain this.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

Just put it into your library (scripts maybe) and double click it.  It'll go through all nodes in the scene removing keys as stated in the OP.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

thanks

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,544

ok thanks, so I don't have to do anything else, that's what I wondered.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,606

Nice thank you

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

big win, this.

I wonder how hard it would be to clean out the puppeteer dots, so they don't affect the elements that aren't changed from their defaults.

Those puppeteer duf files could be editted after being saved, but it'd be better if we could clean them out during the session.

At any rate, thanks a bunch @Robinson, for working this out and sharing it!

best,

--ms

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

mindsong said:

big win, this.

I wonder how hard it would be to clean out the puppeteer dots, so they don't affect the elements that aren't changed from their defaults.

Those puppeteer duf files could be editted after being saved, but it'd be better if we could clean them out during the session.

At any rate, thanks a bunch @Robinson, for working this out and sharing it!

best,

--ms

I'd like Daz devs to invest some time into Puppeteer (it's one of the most useful tools in Studio) but I'm not sure money people would get the business case, so I don't expect to see it any time soon.  A plugin guy could make an enhanced verison 2 I guess, at least once Dz has updated the GUI version.   Layers would actually be useful if Pupeteer filtered the values it stored/changed, and the huge hit of all those keys being manipulated on storage/recall would go away, so this script wouldn't be needed.