How do I make a MAT pose in Poser 7?

NeyjourNeyjour Posts: 12
edited January 2015 in Poser Discussion

I've made some textures for Little Dragon's free Tank Top and I'd like to share them, but I can't figure out how to make the MAT pose files work.

I saved each of them in the Materials folder as Single Material (.mt5)
I then moved them to the Pose folder and changed the extension to .pz2
Then in Notepad I changed "$CURRENT" to "figure" and saved.

But when I try to apply the new MAT pose, nothing happens...

(I did make sure to load V4, conform the tank top to her, and then select the Tank Top before applying the texture)

This is driving me crazy. Any help would be much appreciated.

Post edited by Neyjour on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

An mt5 file saves a single selected surface and applies it to any selected surface. What you probably want, assuming you are using Poser 6 or later, is a Material Collection (mc6) file which saves all the settings for the selected item's surfaces and reapplies them. Why do you want to change them to pz2 files?

• NeyjourNeyjour Posts: 12
    edited January 2015

An mt5 file saves a single selected surface and applies it to any selected surface. What you probably want, assuming you are using Poser 6 or later, is a Material Collection (mc6) file which saves all the settings for the selected item's surfaces and reapplies them. Why do you want to change them to pz2 files?

Ooooh... okay! Thanks very much! I was assuming, since the Tank Top only had one material zone, that I needed to select the "Single Material" option. I'll try saving as a Collection (.mt6) instead! :)

After moving them to the Pose folder and changing them to a .pz2 extension, all I need to do is edit "mtlCollection" to "figure", yes?

As for making MAT poses, it's just a personal preference. I've been using Poser for a very long time, and I'm used to textures being in the Pose folder. The Materials folder is where I go when I want to apply materials/shaders to things. The few textures I have that are in there tend to get "forgotten". :P

I wonder... could I set up this texture set to apply from both the Pose folder and the Material folder (just to give people the option)? There shouldn't be any conflict with that, do you think?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

If you are using Poser 8 or later you can just put the mc6 files in the Pose folder - although you can also access the Materials library from the Pose room. And yes, since the files are small you can just put two sets in the package - the textures are likely to account for most of the file size anyway.

edited December 1969

If you are using Poser 8 or later you can just put the mc6 files in the Pose folder - although you can also access the Materials library from the Pose room. And yes, since the files are small you can just put two sets in the package - the textures are likely to account for most of the file size anyway.

Okay, good. Thanks! :)

I'm actually using Poser 7, so I'll have to edit them. Hopefully the mtlCollection/figure stuff is the correct thing to edit, and the only thing I'll have to do to get this to work. There's only 11 textures in this set, so it won't take too long, thankfully. :P

edited January 2015

Saving as a Collection (.mt6) did the trick! I was able to convert them to .pz2 and load the textures. But, all the values are showing as "UNDEFINED".

Undefined-Values.PNG
    943 x 604 - 413K
    edited December 1969

After posting that last message, I left Poser open while I surfed the web for a bit, watched some TV, etc. Then came back to my comp to close out Poser, and... all the values had changed to what they're supposed to be.

I then closed Poser out, reloaded V4 and the Tank Top, applied the first texture, switched to the Materials tab, and... same thing. All values were showing as "UNDEFINED". I sat and waited for a few minutes. Nothing happened. So I clicked the Pose tab, and then the Materials tab again, and all the values were showing as they should be. I then tried applying all the other textures, and all values were showing up correctly.

That's so strange. In all my years of using Poser, I've never seen that happen before...