13 Free Forest HDRIs from Shutterstock

chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Apparently Shutterstock now own Turbosquid. To mark this, theyre giving away 13 forest HDRIs. No registration required, just download from here:

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/free-hdri-environment-maps

Comments

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

hey thanks a lot for the heads up!  they're pure awesome ^^

• mariannermarianner Posts: 93

Thank you very much for this tip! I haven't tried them out, just looked at them with IrfanView and I think they look nice.

• GhostDogGhostDog Posts: 156

Thanks for letting us know!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,500

Thanks Chris for pointing them out.

I did download, but must admit I deleted them after trying them. I  am not sure why, but they all seemed a bit out of focus to me and a little grainy (using DS 4.15.02). The ones from HDRIHaven are available in 8k format and the extra bit of resolution seems to make a fair difference in the result. Nice of you to let us know they were there, though, much appreciated.

Regards,

Richard.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,868

richardandtracy said:

Thanks Chris for pointing them out.

I did download, but must admit I deleted them after trying them. I  am not sure why, but they all seemed a bit out of focus to me and a little grainy (using DS 4.15.02). The ones from HDRIHaven are available in 8k format and the extra bit of resolution seems to make a fair difference in the result. Nice of you to let us know they were there, though, much appreciated.

Regards,

Richard.

The page does say that these are only to be used for reflections and light, and not for the actual image. However, it's just a single sentence, and so very easy to miss.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,500

Mea culpa - had missed that.

Regards,

Richard

• perlkperlk Posts: 854

Thank you! I think it would be fine if you used it in the background with a DOF render, though. Which is what I might use them for!

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792
    edited August 2021

Ya Todd Blankenship, the maker of these HDRI's, does say that they are for light and reflections. And I wonder whether he means that ALL HDRI's are supposed to be used only for light and reflections, at least if you want to call yourself a "professional" 3D artist.

Personally, I don't care to persue professional status, and will continue to "abuse" HDRI's by using them for backgrounds, including the ones Todd Blankenship made here. Like perlk says, may be fine for a DOF background and so on. I used one of Blankenship's HDRI's already, but found that I had to render it separately so I could trim the levels range in PhotoShop to match the scene objects.

Post edited by lukon100 on
  • Thanks Chris 

• Its FREE for a reason. Thanks for the links Will try them in Blender.

• Yep, free things are always free for a reason.

Sometimes it's because the stuff is low quality that won't sell. Sometimes it's because the copyright holder is learning and the freebie is not as great as it could be. However, it's amazing how often, in this 3D figure world, free things are commercial or near commercial quality & the copyright owner/maker is an exceptionally nice person & wants to spread a bit of happiness around. Do you recall the Hivewire Cat and a number of Lisa's Botanicals going free for at least a month last year? Hivewire was trying to make people less miserable in the middle of a pandemic. Have you seen zoro_d's 'Chameleon ROse' hair & character on Rendo? That's are commercial quality stuff being made available free, and the only reason I can see for it is because zoro_d is being really generous. This is repeated time & time again to the point where freebies that are not of commercial or fairly near commercial quality is less common that the stuff that is.

It is sometimes necessary to download the stuff to check if the low quality option is the reason, or whether generosity, is the reason for the stuff being free.

Regards,

Richard.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

richardandtracy said:

Yep, free things are always free for a reason.

Sometimes it's because the stuff is low quality that won't sell. Sometimes it's because the copyright holder is learning and the freebie is not as great as it could be. However, it's amazing how often, in this 3D figure world, free things are commercial or near commercial quality & the copyright owner/maker is an exceptionally nice person & wants to spread a bit of happiness around. Do you recall the Hivewire Cat and a number of Lisa's Botanicals going free for at least a month last year? Hivewire was trying to make people less miserable in the middle of a pandemic. Have you seen zoro_d's 'Chameleon ROse' hair & character on Rendo? That's are commercial quality stuff being made available free, and the only reason I can see for it is because zoro_d is being really generous. This is repeated time & time again to the point where freebies that are not of commercial or fairly near commercial quality is less common that the stuff that is.

It is sometimes necessary to download the stuff to check if the low quality option is the reason, or whether generosity, is the reason for the stuff being free.

Regards,

Richard.

Definitely. I find great quality freebies all the time. Love them. Chameleon Rose is a great example.