Coming soon... Karate G8M (and a licensing question)

perlkperlk Posts: 854
edited July 2021 in Freebies

This is what I've been spending the last week on... Karate uniform for G8M. Before I release it, would I get in trouble for designing textures for it from a popular 80's movie and more recently Netflix series? This is fan art, really, so I assume this just means no commercial renders? Or am I not allowed to release something like this for free?

Also, am I the only girl out there who rooted against Daniel and for Johnny? wink

karate-promo.png
1500 x 900 - 2M
Post edited by perlk on

Comments

• In theory you cannot copy the designs at all (depending on how they are protected), but in practice non-commercial fan-art is usually allowed/tolerated. You could always say people could use the content commercially if they get the rights holder's permission too.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,544

You can also make the textures and just not make them 100% exact, no law against that.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

does this need to resemble any movie/series at all? unlike some star wars stuff, a karate outfit is just a type of clothing, like jeans or any generic sportswear - public domain as far as i know. nobody has to pay their respects or money to the inventor of the blue jeans when they create a casual 3d outfit, right?

• perlkperlk Posts: 854

I was thinking of the logos, like Cobra Kai and Miyagi-do - karate uniforms themselves aren't that problematic. I will make a note that people can use the Karate Kid logos commercially only if they get the rights holders' permission. Thank you all!