Turn of the 20th Century Paper Toy Theater with Don Quixote scene and characters with Tutorial for m

DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656
edited April 2015 in Freebies

Paper toy theaters were very popular in Europe in the late 19th and early 20th century. They could be bought for pennies and provided families with hours of entertainment. Suppliers such as Pollock's would print sheets that contained characters and scene sets centered around fairy tales, Shakespeare and the classics. Children would paste the sheets to cardboard and carefully cut them out. There were special sheets which contained images for fancy curtains and beautiful prosceniums. There were sheets that contained set elements such as plants, furniture, small structures and of rooms. This model is based upon J. F. Schreiber's Don Quixote no 573 sheet. circa 1910.

The package contains a theatre and stage lights. It has a movable curtain and there are scene presets for the "The Giants" scene. There are a set of characters, animals, side wings, backdrop and plants for use in the theatre. Also included in the zip is a text file of a play scene based upon Chapter 8 of Don Quixote in case you want to do an animation. The set is for DAZ Studio 4.6 only.

This is a belated Christmas present for you all. You can find it here.

Render_44.jpg
800 x 1035 - 448K
promoimage.jpg
1000 x 800 - 618K
Post edited by DollyGirl on

Comments

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

This is so awesome!
    What a great and original idea.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

How amazingly cool is that? Well done!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

This is sooooo fun!
    Thank you!

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,219
    edited December 1969

Soooo cute!

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,418
    edited December 1969

Lovely! Lovely! Lovely! Thank you!

edited December 1969

Alas, I can not get this to work.
    For example I tried to load the windmill and I got this:

Some assets needed to load the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found.

/data/LJStudios/DQSet/Windmilltower/windmilltower.dsf
    /data/LJStudios/DQSet/Windmillsails/Windmillsails.dsf

It happens for the whole set.
    Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your time. :)

• mininessiemininessie Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

awww....i love ,love it!
    i love antiques and i am from Spain...so this is a great item for me,thanks you soooo much! :D

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    Alas, I can not get this to work.
    For example I tried to load the windmill and I got this:

Some assets needed to load the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found.

/data/LJStudios/DQSet/Windmilltower/windmilltower.dsf
    /data/LJStudios/DQSet/Windmillsails/Windmillsails.dsf

It happens for the whole set.
    Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your time. :)

No, I am so sorry Ippotamus. Silly me did not set up my zip file structure correctly. You have two options.

Download the file again and reinstall. The file has been updated. Here.

or

Go into the data directory where you have located DQSet and move it under LJStudios. So the correct file path is ...../data/LJStudios/DQSet

And again my apologies. I really need to do some more checking before I give out things. My bad. :red:

edited January 2015

Thank you everyone. mininessie, I did take some liberties when it came to representing the plains of Spain. In all my research I could not find a set of sidewings and backdrop for Don Quixote so I ended up using J. F. Schrieber's Canal de Suez printed in 1894. I had thought about creating a set but it is really hard to emulate Victorian artistry, which, in my mind was important in keeping with the age of the toy.

This was a fun project for me. The whole set was created using spline objects and DAZ Studio primitives with the exception of the wire handles which was my first crack at using Hexagon. I was thinking about writing a tutorial about how I made the objects. Armed with the tutorial a person could go out and make other sets and characters or even expand the current set. I have attached the image sheet that I started from and as you can see there are many more characters that could populate the scene. I just fell in love with the Windmill and Sancho.

Thanks again everyone. Hope you have fun playing with this toy.

Donquixote.jpg
    696 x 600 - 106K
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
    edited December 1969

don´t worry! poetry license is ok...i love it...i have to render it soon...and i will post here! :D thanks again!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

Can one print it and cut out a real one maybe too?
    The idea af a virtual and real one in a video intrigues me, something I might try in a fortnights time when on holiday.

edited December 1969

don´t worry! poetry license is ok...i love it...i have to render it soon...and i will post here! :D thanks again!

Oh good. I worry sometimes and you are very welcome.

Can one print it and cut out a real one maybe too?
    The idea af a virtual and real one in a video intrigues me, something I might try in a fortnights time when on holiday.

You betcha, wendy! What fun. Would love to see what you do.

edited December 1969

Running up that hill.

runningupthathill.jpg
    1000 x 850 - 597K
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    Running up that hill.

LOL that is just great. Love it! Thank you.

edited December 1969

I am just fascinated by this.
    I hope you make a tutorial.
    I can guarantee a set from me if you do. :)

edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    I am just fascinated by this.
    I hope you make a tutorial.
    I can guarantee a set from me if you do. :)

I will put it on my to do list.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Dollygirl. This will be fun to play with.

edited December 1969

a bit late,sorry...but i have not much timeat the moment! :S

Don_Quixote_theatre_Rr.jpg
    960 x 800 - 375K
    edited December 1969

That is cool miniessie. Love Mavka and Lully's dresses. Always worry that the model will not behave for other people. Thank you for showing us your image.

edited December 1969

glad you like it!
    it works perfect thanks you so much!

edited December 1969

So as promised I have created a tutorial on how to create a spline object like the ones used in the toy theater.
    How to Make Spline Models using Carrara

Render_26.jpg
    800 x 800 - 455K
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Dollygirl. I haven't looked at the PDF yet, but hope I have time to give it a whirl this evening.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Thank you, Dollygirl. I haven't looked at the PDF yet, but hope I have time to give it a whirl this evening.

You are most welcome AA. It is very easy once you get things set up. Hardest part becomes deciding what image you are going to do next!