Gymnastics Parallel Bars: Prop and Poses

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,500
edited October 2021 in Freebies

Onesixthwarrior over at Renderosity asked if I could do something about a model of a set of parallel bars.

So, after spending a fair bit of time calculating the flex for different load positions using basic engineering formulae and creating 10 different morphs, got the model below. Please read the 'Readme' file to get an idea of how to use the morphs. There are two height morphs and a width morph. 

If you want close to total realism on the bend of the bars, it's possible. The bend morphs are at 100% when 100kg (220lb) is applied to the morph load point. If an 80kg (176 lb) gymnast is supporting their weight on two hands in the middle of the two bars, the 'Bend 3' morphs are set to 40kg/40% at each bar. If the same 80 kg gymnast is supported by two hands on the same bar, each hand position bend morph will be 40kg/40%. If the gymnast is supported on 1 hand, the bend morph will be 80kg/80%. There are no bends induced when the gymnast is immediately above a support. Due to hysteresis (energy absorption) in the bars, when the gymnast unloads a bent bar, it's unlikely to spring back more than 30% past the un-deformed position, and -10% to -12% is a reasonable recoil morph range after a +40% bend has been applied.

I modelled the bars with a MASSIVE character in mind, and realized too late to change it that they are probably too high for normal gymnasts. So, can I suggest you try the bars with the 'Lower' morph set to 50% or more, and adjust the 'Higher' morph to set the bars to the exact height you want. The bar top height is 204cm (6'8") by default - see what I mean about too high. The 'Lower' morph is 1%=1cm lower. The 'Higher' morph is more of a 'fine adjustment' morph at 1% = 1mm/ 100% = 10cm.

I hope it's useful to someone.

Regards,

Richard.

Parallel Bars Ad.jpg
800 x 800 - 73K
zip
zip
Parallel Bars.zip
2M
Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,500
    edited October 2021

The first set of poses for the bars are below. No mirror poses, as the poses are pretty symmetrical. There are corresponding poses to set the height and flex on the bars too.

Regards,

Richard.

G8M Parallel Bar Poses 01 to 05 Ad.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 159K
    zip
    zip
    G8M Parallel Bar Poses 01 to 05.zip
    2M
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,500
    edited October 2021

The second (and last planned) set of poses for the bars are below.

Regards,

Richard.

G8M Parallel Bar Poses 06 to 10 Ad.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 120K
    zip
    zip
    G8M Parallel Bar Poses 06 to 10.zip
    1M
  • love that you've included the flex morphs for the bars!  It's small details like that that can make or break an image.

• Had to calculate 36 deflections for each of the 10 morphs, then apply them to 38 vertices at each deflected position. My spreadsheet, university simply supported beam formulae sheets and my modeller all had quite a workout. It would never have gone so quickly if the weather had been nicer over the weekend... Heaven knows how people can make clothing with all those jcm's.