Mesh Distorts on Rotation

SeacanyonSeacanyon Posts: 8
edited March 2015 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello. Made a very simple flat rectangular prop with a little thickness and three morphs, passing it back and forth from Daz Studio and Hex. (Starting up again after being away for 3 years, so relearning things).

One of the morphs is simply a Horizontal-Vertical morph, rotating the prop on the Z axis. The other two make the flat prop concave/convex.

The morphs work ok individually, but the mesh warps when the Horiz-Vertical morph is used with either of the others.

The baffling thing is that the problem does not occur if the prop is turned in Daz Studio using the rotation tool or slider instead of the morph made in Hex.

Anyone know why this is happening?

I've gone back to an unmorphed version of the prop and recreated the morphs, making sure I didn't move the prop in space in other ways but the result was the same.

Thanks.

(Also, how do you delete a morph you've created? I realize that's a Daz Studio question).

4_H-VMorph_and_Arc2.PNG
900 x 768 - 95K
3_Arc2_Morph.PNG
900 x 768 - 110K
2_Horiz-Vert_Morph.PNG
900 x 768 - 106K
1_Simple_Prop.PNG
900 x 768 - 104K
Post edited by Seacanyon on

Comments

• Axe SwipeAxe Swipe Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

Hi Seacanyon! I've been out of the game for a long time, so it may not be obvious to me or I may be missing something, but why create a morph to simply rotate an object when you can rotate it using regular DS rotation dials?

As far as I can tell, it seems that the morphs are somehow "reading" each other and don't know how to essentially ignore that the other morphs are active, thus causing the distortion. Sadly, I don't have a solution, because as I said, I have been out of the scene for a long time (several years in fact).

• SeacanyonSeacanyon Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Hi, Axe. Glad you made it back. And you've got a good point. This for a freebie set. I was trying to keep the threshold as low as possible for brand-new and casual users. But I'll probably go without. It's just maddening to be stumped by something so basic.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I'm not really understanding what it is you are wanting to do, so forgive me if I'm off track with this :)

Bear in mind that morphing is essentially changing positions of verts and the change happens linearly. The changed verts go from one position to another in a direct line, not in an arc, so using them for rotating things like animated opening doors simply doesn't work. If you wanted to something like I think you do, you would have to make dozens of morphs, each with a very small change and apply them sequentially.